Which solid color for Co elk?

Trying to piece together my gear list and the wife is bugging me for Christmas ideas. I was thinking of asking for solid color hiking pants. Problem is, I have no clue which color would be best. I was thinking of a coyote brown, but that may not work for Colorado in September. Anyone on here hunt in solid color pants in Colorado? What colors work best?

FlyGuy

WKR
Any of them work. It's the movement that busts you (visually). I just go with ones that match my camo b/c I have some OCD about that but it doesn't matter to the elk. Gray, green, pyrite, khaki.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Vids

WKR
I go with green for my pack and solid clothes. Might be a little dark, but coyote brown looks a bit too much like the color of an elk and I don't trust other hunters during rifle season.

If I had a choice I'd go with grey. I try not to go too dark or light of a color. A good natural earth color would work. I agree with not trying to look like an animal as well. Too many trigger happy people.

Agree with Fly guy. Whatever color you like...lol. I have dark brown and od green solids. I am not sure the elk care.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
A muted green is my favorite. Green, grey, tan, brown can all be found in any season. I never worried about my legs.

Jardo

WKR
Don't worry about blending in with solids. You won't match every terrain you will encounter. Just get what looks best to you and run with it. I agree that movement is more important. I've killed so many deer and elk in blue jeans I can't even begin to count them all. Well over 50 kills I'm sure.

I too used blue jeans for many hunting trips. They seemed to work well, but now when watching any hunting shows on TV, I can always see the "blue" jeans when a guide is wearing them. Blue jeans seem to jump out of the screen at me while watching whereas the hunters in camo or other colors seem to not be as noticeable.
I am sure the vision of the deer and Elk have different capabilities, and the blue might not be as noticeable to them.

Jardo

WKR
I too used blue jeans for many hunting trips. They seemed to work well, but now when watching any hunting shows on TV, I can always see the "blue" jeans when a guide is wearing them. Blue jeans seem to jump out of the screen at me while watching whereas the hunters in camo or other colors seem to not be as noticeable.
I am sure the vision of the deer and Elk have different capabilities, and the blue might not be as noticeable to them.

I think your right but I'm not sure how they see. I stopped wearing blue jeans because they are cotton... not because of the color. I got wet one year a long way from the truck and got hypothermic. That was it for me and cotton in the cold. They say cotton kills and I believe it. I now wear Sitka, kuiu, skre, Eddie Bauer, and kuhl when I hunt. I'd probably wear blue if they made it but I look so much sexier in camo!

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
The prana stretch zion pants in the Mud color look pretty good. Not too dark, and not light like the coyote brown. Plus the pants are comfortable.