Sitka vs First lite

This post seems a little fishy! I've owned my fair share of FL pants and have had zero issues with seams falling apart outside of the Gila pants. Did you talk to First Lite?

I've had the Gila's, 2 pair of kanabs, and 2 pair of guides. ALL have had issues with stitching, mainly around the fly and crotch area. FL took care of it by replacing them all (after they received the torn pants in the mail.) not to mention the sizing between them is inconsistent at best. I love FL merino and the puffy, but I doubt they ever get money for pants from me again, it's to bad because the guides are extremely comfortable.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Do not buy any mainstream non hunting Merino in an effort to save money. Trust my negative experiences on that. First lite seems to be the only company that has figured out how to make halfway durable ultra fine Merino. I don't know what some folks are thinking about pant durability and sizing consistency. Maybe they don't want to admit weight gains ;-). My corrugates guide pants are super durable, and I wear the same medium for that and the rain pant, which fits over my normal pants just fine. In fact I wear medium in literally every first lite piece tops and bottoms except for the rain jacket, where I wear large. So I'd say they're sizing is actually atypically consistent. Inherently polyester, used by Sitka is going to inherently have more durability than nylon/wool, but not enough to make up for the significant more weight, more packed bulk, and way less breathability. Also, the first lite items we 37.5 legit actively transport moisture. I think Sitka has a new technology that is supposed to do that, but it's only in a limited few items, that I think are mostly lightweight. I've been shocked at the breathability and moisture transport of first light rain gear, gaiters, softshell, and puffy. Their synthetic insulation also gives the best warmth to weight ratio of any I've experienced. Certainly not down, but you don't want down for active hunting. The one thing I would say first lite could improve on is adding an extra, tougher, layer to the knees and ass of their pants, and possibly a knee pad pouch. Wouldn't add much weight but would add durability and waterproofedness. First lite dwr is very good, but pressure and friction are going to take out any dwr.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Do not buy any mainstream non hunting Merino in an effort to save money. Trust my negative experiences on that. First lite seems to be the only company that has figured out how to make halfway durable ultra fine Merino. I don't know what some folks are thinking about pant durability and sizing consistency. Maybe they don't want to admit weight gains ;-). My corrugates guide pants are super durable, and I wear the same medium for that and the rain pant, which fits over my normal pants just fine. In fact I wear medium in literally every first lite piece tops and bottoms except for the rain jacket, where I wear large. So I'd say they're sizing is actually atypically consistent. Inherently polyester, used by Sitka is going to inherently have more durability than nylon/wool, but not enough to make up for the significant more weight, more packed bulk, and way less breathability. Also, the first lite items we 37.5 legit actively transport moisture. I think Sitka has a new technology that is supposed to do that, but it's only in a limited few items, that I think are mostly lightweight. I've been shocked at the breathability and moisture transport of first light rain gear, gaiters, softshell, and puffy. Their synthetic insulation also gives the best warmth to weight ratio of any I've experienced. Certainly not down, but you don't want down for active hunting. The one thing I would say first lite could improve on is adding an extra, tougher, layer to the knees and ass of their pants, and possibly a knee pad pouch. Wouldn't add much weight but would add durability and waterproofedness. First lite dwr is very good, but pressure and friction are going to take out any dwr.

I find the exact opposite. I have had way better quality and durability in merino out of Ibex, Ullfrotté ( wool power) and smart wool then any of the hunting manufactures.
I have eaten through first Lite shirts in less then a year, no comparison in quality.

Trial153

WKR
Yeah, let's the rest of us know how much the markup is ;-)

yea so. what's the difference what the mark up is. if you don't like the price don't pay it.

Last edited:

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I find the exact opposite. I have had way better quality and durability in merino out of Ibex, Ullfrotté ( wool power) and smart wool then any of the hunting manufactures.
I have eaten through first Lite shirts in less then a year, no comparison in quality.

Same here, I have a set of mid weight merino from Minus 33 that I love. Feels softer then my first light and have been running it for 5 or 6 years now with no real sign of wear or tear. I would not hesitate to buy more from Minus 33. Although I still wear first lite for warmer weather when I might only be wearing my baselayer for my top.

Hmmm
I have 2 sets of Corr guide, 2 sets Kanab 2.0 and have yet to have an issue with any of them.
I hunt a lot of wind fall in Utah and am constantly in the rugged timber too.
One set is my pre season scouting that really gets beat up, and they are so still in great shape from what I can tell.

2 of these I bought new and 2 were used I got on here.

at this point I an extremely happy with FL, but if durability becomes an issue that will change.

Paying what we do for these requires they last, and so far I am happy.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've had the Gila's, 2 pair of kanabs, and 2 pair of guides. ALL have had issues with stitching, mainly around the fly and crotch area. FL took care of it by replacing them all (after they received the torn pants in the mail.) not to mention the sizing between them is inconsistent at best. I love FL merino and the puffy, but I doubt they ever get money for pants from me again, it's to bad because the guides are extremely comfortable.

Interesting! I keep pretty good notes on what fails. Between my wife, son and I, we have used 12 pairs of FL pants and zero issues with seams, outside the gila's. I have also been rocking two pairs of guide shorts, pretty much all I've worn this summer.

The only thing that fails over and over again in this house is zippers and that's from several different brands.

Interesting! I keep pretty good notes on what fails. Between my wife, son and I, we have used 12 pairs of FL pants and zero issues with seams, outside the gila's. I have also been rocking two pairs of guide shorts, pretty much all I've worn this summer.

The only thing that fails over and over again in this house is zippers and that's from several different brands.

Maybe its my muscular(Fat) thighs rubbing, who knows, but it happened in the EXACT same spot on every pair I had. And i did not put them through what i would call hard or extended use.

Mmcan

WKR
Both companies are great. Sitka is more of an athletic fit and FL is a little more baggy. FL has incredible base layers but I would give the nod to Sitka for outer layers/rain gear. It's a win/win with either of them!

Kanabs are baggy. Corugate is much more of an athletic fit. I really like this pant.
FL is a more comfortable WOOL base layer and damn, that stuff is great for minimizing stank. Much better than Kuiu IMHO. Love the Red Desert Boxers, long johns, light weight and heavier weight base layers.

Sitka synthetic materials rock. If I weren't worried about a week of schwetty balls stanking up the county, I'd be happy to wear their base layers and undies too. But I love the FL undies and base layers so much. Hard to beat them

Neither of these companies "non rain gear items" are as good as their rain gear items.

And Kuiu works better for me in that role anyway. Yukon and CHugach lines. They rock.

BCSteel

FNG
The stitching is pulling apart in the crotch. Same issue I had with the Kanab 2.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After just 9 solid days of use I have more loose thread ends and what appears to be stitching coming undone in the crotch area of my Obsidian pants than I would expect for the premium paid.

I guess only time will tell where they stand on durability.

Raise the limits

That's where my Corrugates are having issues... in the fly area. After looking it over I think it's a function of how the pocket lining, zipper flap, and pant material all come together in that area and are stitched. Basically, on a pair of Levi's the pocket lining is not stitched to the fly area.. it is it's own bag and hangs free without being attached to the fly. I'd need to check my other hiking/climbing pants to see how they are done to compare.

Guess I should call First Lite to see if they can repair/replace them... or at least let them know.

Last edited:
That's where my Corrugates are having issues... in the fly area. After looking it over I think it's a function of how the pocket lining, zipper flap, and pant material all come together in that area and are stitched. Basically, on a pair of Levi's the pocket lining is not stitched to the fly area.. it is it's own bag and hangs free without being attached to the fly. I'd need to check my other hiking/climbing pants to see how they are done to compare.

Guess I should call First Lite to see if they can repair/replace them... or at least let them know.

They will replace them no problem, I just go tired of shipping them back.

ianpadron

WKR
Thanks for your input. I like the Kuiu verde camo pattern the best and heard nothing but great things regarding their attack pants. How ever this is my first ever elk hunt and decided to do it alone DIY style. Learning as I go I needed to buy a ton of gear that I didn't have so I need to factor in cost into my equation and the Kuiu is just gonna cost me more money in the end. My next favorite camo pattern is the sitkas I think I will take your advice and get baselayers in solid colors and use Sitka as my outer layers
KUIU is less expensive than First Lite and Sitka by a significant margin. Their gear is also superior almost across the board. Sitka makes some great pieces and I have many, but their gear is WAYY overpriced.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
KUIU is less expensive than First Lite and Sitka by a significant margin. Their gear is also superior almost across the board. Sitka makes some great pieces and I have many, but their gear is WAYY overpriced.

Thanks for all the input. I ended up going with Sitka gear

-medium merino wool insulation bottoms
-merino wool ls T
-mountain pant
-traverse zip t
-kelvin lite hoody

My initial take so far is the merino bottoms are very comfortable and soft but the long sleet shirt is a bit itchy. I am hoping a few washes would soften them up. My only real disappointment is I thought the Kelvin lite hoody would pack down better than it does. I think I will being picking up a merino wool hoody from kuiu and hope that would be enough for mid oct in idaho

ianpadron

WKR
Thanks for all the input. I ended up going with Sitka gear

-medium merino wool insulation bottoms
-merino wool ls T
-mountain pant
-traverse zip t
-kelvin lite hoody

My initial take so far is the merino bottoms are very comfortable and soft but the long sleet shirt is a bit itchy. I am hoping a few washes would soften them up. My only real disappointment is I thought the Kelvin lite hoody would pack down better than it does. I think I will being picking up a merino wool hoody from kuiu and hope that would be enough for mid oct in idaho
Try the Kelvin Ultralight Jacket instead. It uses a down/primaloft blend and weighs only 11 ounces. Packs down to nothing and is about as warm as the Kelvin Lite (I have both)

Pick one up now on Sierra Trading post for like 140 bucks...that's more than half off!

My favorite base layer piece of all time is the Peloton 20o from KUIU...sooooo soft and dries faster than any fabric I've ever seen. It actually comes out of the washing machine after a spin cycle virtually dry!

LostArra

WKR
Try the Kelvin Ultralight Jacket instead. It uses a down/primaloft blend and weighs only 11 ounces. Packs down to nothing and is about as warm as the Kelvin Lite (I have both)

Pick one up now on Sierra Trading post for like 140 bucks...that's more than half off

Coupon code got my Kelvin ultralight to $112

excaliber

WKR
I think Sitka makes the best Jackets and Pants without a doubt. First Lite makes nice Merino base layers if that's your thing but the pants and outer layers aren't equal to Sitka in build materials or quality from what I've seen.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I mix and match both of these brands depending on the hunt. Sitka has more options and makes great products, the new ascent pants are next level! But the First Lite aerowool, guide pants and SEAK jacket take a back seat to no brand IMO.