Braken Wear Scorcher Top

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have had this top since spring just waiting for archery season. It's 90-plus in the shade and I can say these shirts work! I wish there was a matching-performance pant.

[video=youtube_share;etb34lMC4L8]https://youtu.be/etb34lMC4L8[/video]

Last edited:
I have had this top since spring just waiting for archery season. It's 90-plus in the shade and I can say these shirts work! I wish there was a matching-performance pant.

[video=youtube_share;etb34lMC4L8]https://youtu.be/etb34lMC4L8[/video]
Might have to try it out myself!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Robby, how is the arm articulation and sleeve cut? I guess I'm asking is it bow friendly?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good question fng. It's an athletic fit, my large fits me snug- I'm 180 lbs naked (try not to picture that) and 5'9". Little hard to get off but still OK. Wrist cuffs are snug in a good way.

Shot a few dozen practice arrows over the hunt and can draw well. I have 8 days on it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good question fng. It's an athletic fit, my large fits me snug- I'm 180 lbs naked (try not to picture that) and 5'9". Little hard to get off but still OK. Wrist cuffs are snug in a good way.

Shot a few dozen practice arrows over the hunt and can draw well. I have 8 days on it now.

Lol, I won't try to picture it

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Cool and cold weather is here, so likely retiring this piece for the season.

Examining it after 10+ days use, I see a few loose threads but nothing coming apart. the label inside by my shoulders did wear off but nothing structural.

Seems durable enough to count on for at least a few seasons depending on how much you hunt.
Because the Scorcher breathes so well, and dries quickly, stink doesn't accumulate. Even less than merino in my opinion. I finally washed it after about day seven, just because I knew it had to have alotta scent on it, but it did not smell bad at all. Wore another five or so days and I can still smell it's fresh. With that much airflow I just don't think there's time for bacteria to build up, unlike other thicker heavier less breathable polyester garments.

I really like this top. I'll wear it again in the future, I just wish they could make pants that had this kind of breathability. The top is definitely a little miss matched in that category with the Peak Season pant, which is a good pant, but is for much cooler weather than the Scorcher top.
I give Braken Wear a solid 9 on this top

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Robby, in regards to the material itself which seems to be the same toray fabric in the tiburon series. I would recommend a good rinse every few days to maximize breathability. Dry dusty climates clog that material pretty fast. Maybe not as bad in a shirt since you're not sitting and kneeling in dirt like you might with pants.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby, in regards to the material itself which seems to be the same toray fabric in the tiburon series. I would recommend a good rinse every few days to maximize breathability. Dry dusty climates clog that material pretty fast. Maybe not as bad in a shirt since you're not sitting and kneeling in dirt like you might with pants.

I never thought about that and you're right, good reason to keep clean. I don't know anything about the competitors line, but do they have a pant? I would guess the stuff would not hold up in a pant too well, but I don't know that for sure

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never thought about that and you're right, good reason to keep clean. I don't know anything about the competitors line, but do they have a pant? I would guess the stuff would not hold up in a pant too well, but I don't know that for sure

The competitors pant didn't wow me for hunting uses. Friction wear wasn't very good although it was good with snags. Material let's pine needles and other pokey things through that becomes annoying.

Maybe if that material was used along with reinforced knees and seat.

They make a great hiking pant as long as you stay upright and on easy to moderate trails. Just not a material I feel confident to handle abuse.

Great for shirts though.