Waterproofing?

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried scotch guard or other water proofing sprays on Kuiu or Sitka pants to help with the water shedding ability? I'm talking about the Alpine, Attack, Mountain style pants not rain gear.

I use the Nikiwax wash in. Or the nikiwax direct spray. I do feel like the wash in last longer.

Do not use the wash in. This has been discussed in several climbing/skiing/hunting forums and confirmed by breathable membrane manufacturers. You do not want the inside of the jacket dwr treated. Spray on is far superior to the wash in. Nikwax is some of the best as is graingers, 303 protectant is a great product but needs to air out for a while, leaves a slight chemical odor that will go away. The key is to iron or toss in the dryer on med high heat after you apply and let sit. Also wash the garment in atsko cloths wash and rinse TWICE then apply the product.

Do not use the wash in. This has been discussed in several climbing/skiing/hunting forums and confirmed by breathable membrane manufacturers. You do not want the inside of the jacket dwr treated. Spray on is far superior to the wash in. Nikwax is some of the best as is graingers, 303 protectant is a great product but needs to air out for a while, leaves a slight chemical odor that will go away. The key is to iron or toss in the dryer on med high heat after you apply and let sit. Also wash the garment in atsko cloths wash and rinse TWICE then apply the product.

Might want to read garment description. Not a WPB membrane

Intelligent reply. You should give me your contact info so I can pass it on to my friends in the high end outdoor garment industry so you can enlighten them and show them the errors of their ways and the flaws of their testing. Nothing beats factory applied DWR finish but it is not avail to consumers nor is the application process. Direct spray on is the next best thing for consumers.

Intelligent reply. You should give me your contact info so I can pass it on to my friends in the high end outdoor garment industry so you can enlighten them and show them the errors of their ways and the flaws of their testing. Nothing beats factory applied DWR finish but it is not avail to consumers nor is the application process. Direct spray on is the next best thing for consumers.

I probably already have thier contact info then. The quality of the original DWR treatment will surpass either manly due to the application process as you stated. The second part is the fabric material.. you are arguing semantics, since you originally inferred it was a laminate and not a polyester pant. Spray works great on tight woven hard shells. Neither are a bad products, but they are very temporary. If you think one is far superior to the other on a polyester pant from a technical aspect, I can't personally help you, good look spraying down your pants. If you are going to wet them out might as well drench them so you don't miss any thing. Damn we are back to application process again image that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Not asking you to help me. Smh. I use the spray on on my pants with noticeably better results than wash in. I'll stick to to what the industry has deemed the best due to repeated testing and the results from them as well as testing hundreds of garments and every avail over the counter DWR treatments on my own. Use whatever your heart desires, I personally couldn't care less. I'm out. Have fun.

ianpadron

WKR
I probably already have thier contact info then. The quality of the original DWR treatment will surpass either manly due to the application process as you stated. The second part is the fabric material.. you are arguing semantics, since you originally inferred it was a laminate and not a polyester pant. Spray works great on tight woven hard shells. Neither are a bad products, but they are very temporary. If you think one is far superior to the other on a polyester pant from a technical aspect, I can't personally help you, good look spraying down your pants. If you are going to wet them out might as well drench them so you don't miss any thing. Damn we are back to application process again image that.
Laminate vs polyester it doesn't matter, washing the garment is still going to apply DWR to both sides of the fabric, negatively affecting breathability.

Spray it on the outside as designed and forget about it.

Idaho sandman gave you some damn good advice and you are acting like an argumentative lil bitch lol.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Laminate vs polyester it doesn't matter, washing the garment is still going to apply DWR to both sides of the fabric, negatively affecting breathability.

Spray it on the outside as designed and forget about it.

Idaho sandman gave you some damn good advice and you are acting like an argumentative lil bitch lol.

That's not advice because is based off a waterproof breathable laminate and not clogging the expanded ptfe "MICRO porous" membrane and protective layer, Not a loose knit polyester fabric.

Bitch? degenerative mutt education level.

If you think you can highly effect the noticeable breathablity of the Attach pants from a drench of DWR wash in vs the spray your an idiot.

ianpadron

WKR
That's not advice because is based off a waterproof breathable laminate and not clogging the expanded ptfe "MICRO porous" membrane and protective layer, Not a loose knit polyester fabric.

Bitch? degenerative mutt education level.

If you think you can highly effect the noticeable breathablity of the Attach pants from a drench of DWR wash in vs the spray your an idiot.
Degenerative mutt education level?

Or University of Wisconsin Alum with Honors (19th ranked university in the world)

Oh and a 32 on the MCAT

But feel free to further promote yourself for the jackass of the year award...

What's so hard about admitting you're wrong?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been very happy with the spray can from Walmart. Not the scotch brand but the other one they sell. I've tried the scotch brand but it was greasy. The other one has lasted through several washings and nasty weather before I have to retreat. No experience with any wash in types. I have used it on kuiu products, trick is to wash with appropriate soap first. Most of the time with my kuiu a good wash is all it needs as you are basically just cleaning off a residue that inhibits the factory dwr. My tiburon pants seemed to have missed the factory dwr, the $6 spray can worked and lasted a few months. I can get about 2.5 treatments from one can.

Degenerative mutt education level?

Or University of Wisconsin Alum with Honors (19th ranked university in the world)

Oh and a 32 on the MCAT

But feel free to further promote yourself for the jackass of the year award...

What's so hard about admitting you're wrong?

It's a shame that someone with the ability to go to med school can't correspond in a more educated dialogue then "little bitch" nor understand the reference.

For same reason you can't make the kuiu attack pant water proof with a DWR is same reason you can't stop water vapor transfer with a DWR on it. Again, Saturating the Attach pant with a wash in DWR will not effect breathability at a noticeably measurable level.

Good luck in med school my MBA was one of my better choices in life.

Last edited:

excaliber

WKR
I've tested a few products. Atsco permanent water guard provided the longest last water repellency after many washes. It just seems to work really well and lasts a long time. I use the pump spray model and apply after washing with their Sport Wash first.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I've got nothing to add to this except for saying that I have never understood the process of throwing out your education credentials as though they suddenly make your discussion point automatically correct and the other persons discussion point automatically invalid.

Going to university only proves that you had the funds to go in the first place, you endured enough lectures and you stumbled through enough assignments and collected enough pass-marks. So unless you're an expert in the discussion field, why throw your qualification out there?

Damn sure and for certain there are over 1000 smarter guys than either of you bozos on this forum that have never earned a degree because they were too busy earning a living and supporting their families, both you guys need to pull your heads in and apologize to all the guys that you indirectly insulted with your stupid academic d!ck measuring

Rant over.