Sitkas Core Hoody Review

Sitka's Core Hoody Review

Before heading to Canada I got a Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody w/ built-in facemask. Guys...I'm telling ya, you want this. It is amazing. Covers you up, is very comfortable, breathes well, stays dry and keeps the bugs off you. You can adjust the facemask so your ears aren't covered (needed that while in the treestand) and it is nice for those chilly mornings too (although they also make a heavyweight version. I won't hunt without it in the future. It's the perfect piece of kit. One evening while sitting in the near darkness at last light I heard water and couldn't figure out what it was. Well it was lightly raining and the drops weren't sinking into my hoody. I give it 5 stars. Few products get that kinda rating from me. Worth every penny! Paired with the Aerowool from FL you have an ideal combination. I wore this combo everyday from 8/24-9/5 w/o washing. Not any foul smell or problems whatsoever.

MOOSEMAN.jpg

MOOSEMAN2.jpg

MOOSE1.jpg

MOOSE2.jpg

Last edited:
I like mine too. Have only used it 3x but very happy. Wasn't sure about the face mask but it won me over during 2 spring turkey hunts.

Gumbo

WKR
Great gear and I absolutely love mine too, but I have had completely opposite experiences with it and stink. It might be better than other synthetic materials but it isn't as good as wool. After a day or two of spot and stalk antelope hunting mine reek of BO. Not that it matters, you can't really hide from an ungulate nose anyway, but be aware these aren't magical stink-proof shirts. Nonetheless, my rating on the shirt is a perfect 5 stars. Of note, the facemask isn't even noticeable when it isn't being worn, and the mask combined with the zipper redesign is far superior to the old Sitka hoody high-collars that would flop around when not fully zipped up. Also, the grey backing color of the hood (as opposed to the old white) is perfect for being a little less conspicuous when the hood isn't being worn.

LostArra

WKR
Also, the grey backing color of the hood (as opposed to the old white) is perfect for being a little less conspicuous when the hood isn't being worn.

That's good news! I was typing a question about the white lining when you posted!

Does anyone know if the hood/mask configuration is the same on the heavyweight model?

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I believe they are identical EXCEPT the heavyweight doesn't have a facemask built in. Look at a Traverse or Fanatic hoodies if you want that. . BTW, I wore a base of Aerowool under the hoody everyday so that's likely why I didn't suffer field funk. <g>

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
I actually sent a suggestion to Sitka a few years back about the inside of their hoodies. I was primarily waterfowl hunting back then and it was the first I'd heard of Sitka. Quickly realized their stuff was on an entirely different level, but the inside of their hoodie was bright white. Certainly an oversight for waterfowl, who do see color, trying to pick apart anything out of the ordinary before committing. They emailed me right back and said they were planning to correct that in future models. I really like a company that is open to feedback and listens to their clients.

I have the heavy weight version with the built in hoodie and built in gloves. It's one of my favorite layers. So well designed and functional. But my lightweight hoodie is older model without those features. I liked it just fine until I read this. Haha!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Agreed with all mentioned above. Put on a lot of miles with mine this summer/archery season and it's been great. No stink with an icebreaker merino shirt underneath.

Whisky

WKR
I believe they are identical. BTW, I wore a base of Aerowool under the hoody everyday so that's likely why I didn't suffer field funk. <g>

Not to get off track here, but I wore an Aerowool shirt for 1 hard day of hunting in hot temps and the next day it stunk about as bad as my UA gym shirt at the end of the week. How people can have such opposite experiences I don't know.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Not to get off track here, but I wore an Aerowool shirt for 1 hard day of hunting in hot temps and the next day it stunk about as bad as my UA gym shirt at the end of the week. How people can have such opposite experiences I don't know.

Some people are just stinkier than others. Sat next to a guy from Morocco on the plane and thought I was gonna gag he smelled so bad. Plane was full so the FA couldn't move me. Think he was one of those guys who uses oil rather than soap. Thank God for the scantily clad hot blonde model that sat next to me on my transfer! I deserved that. LOL

OP
Where's Bruce?
Thanks for the review, was looking at these myself. One question, what temps would you say the lightweight vs. the heavyweight would be?

I wanna know this too. My trip to Alberta was perfect weather-wise, lows in the 50s, highs in the mid 70s. The lightweight model was ideal. Suspect once you get to the 30s then the heavyweight would be better, in the 40s you can wear a heavier merino base.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like that LW Core Hoody as well. Its been a great layering piece and light enough to hike in going up. I've noticed a difference between my Sitka base layers and my synthetic (various brands) work shirts. I can get a few more days of wear out of the Sitka stuff before it starts to smell.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's my go to upper base layer- breathes extremely well, dries very quickly, love the hood and thumb loops

for shorter trips (up to three days) it's been fine smell wise; longer I would probably consider wool

I use this base layer a lot with the heavyweight Core hoody- another great piece

Thanks for the review, was looking at these myself. One question, what temps would you say the lightweight vs. the heavyweight would be?

I don't know about the heavy weight. The lightweight is not a thick garment. Think t shirt but long sleeve and with a hood. I would say mid 70s to mid 50s but I run hot. Of course no wind resistance either.

Before heading to Canada I got a Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody w/ built-in facemask. Guys...I'm telling ya, you want this. It is amazing. Covers you up, is very comfortable, breathes well, stays dry and keeps the bugs off you. You can adjust the facemask so your ears aren't covered (needed that while in the treestand) and it is nice for those chilly mornings too (although they also make a heavyweight version. I won't hunt without it in the future. It's the perfect piece of kit. One evening while sitting in the near darkness at last light I heard water and couldn't figure out what it was. Well it was lightly raining and the drops weren't sinking into my hoody. I give it 5 stars. Few products get that kinda rating from me. Worth every penny! Paired with the Aerowool from FL you have an ideal combination. I wore this combo everyday from 8/24-9/5 w/o washing. Not any foul smell or problems whatsoever.

View attachment 57066

View attachment 57067

View attachment 57068

View attachment 57120

I used my on a recent antelope hunt and it was awesome

OP
Where's Bruce?
I used my on a recent antelope hunt and it was awesome

What's the rokslide promo code, might get the heavyweight version too. I don't see the Timberline jacket in Subalpine...just the Timberline Pants. Why is that?

Last edited:

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Another two thumbs up on this hoody. Wore mine for probably 8 of the 12 days in AZ chasing antelope and mule deer (spot & stalk archery) with temps in the upper 80's/low 90's. Never washed, rinsed in a sink a couple times. Nothing worn underneath, no stink at all. Cooler than my merino short sleeved tops and complete sun protection/concealment to boot (other than hands).

Attachments

• IMG_2544.jpg
    IMG_2544.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 69

goetzc

FNG
I concur, I don't know if they could do anything to make this one better.

My only complaints are on the sizing.
I own both the medium and large.
Medium is very tight all around.
Large is very loose in the abdomen.

Both are extremely tight on the forearms.

Fwiw- I'm 5'11 and 165lbs and a normal build.