Wrangler hiking pants

Bought a pair of the nylon Wrangler outdoor series pants at Target since we don't have any hiking stores within 60 miles of my house. I thought it may help some folks if I posted a review thread on these.

Specs: 32x32 size
96%nylon 4% spandex
And the best part.... $25 price tag!

First impression: the fit is a bit snug compared to the jeans I normally wear, but I plan on shedding some waist size anyway. They are very breathable and provide great stretch. I am not a fan of the snap button they have on the waist, but it may prove to be a strong point if it doesn't fail.

I hope to use these for a while on training walks and while working around the house. I'll post my reviews here as time goes on to show wear and tear.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 405

FlyGuy

WKR
I've been wanting to try them out myself. I've heard they are on par with the Eddie Bauer Guide pants-which are my favorite. I like them more than prana, but the stitching on the EB does tend to fail sooner than it should for pants that cost as much as they do. These wrangler versions look and sound promising, especially for the price, but I haven't found any yet. Been checking Wal-Mart occasionally but didnt think to look in target.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
I've been wanting to try them out myself. I've heard they are on par with the Eddie Bauer Guide pants-which are my favorite. I like them more than prana, but the stitching on the EB does tend to fail sooner than it should for pants that cost as much as they do. These wrangler versions look and sound promising, especially for the price, but I haven't found any yet. Been checking Wal-Mart occasionally but didnt think to look in target.

We got LUCKY and found a pair of 32x32 on the wrong hanger. The selection was extremely limited, but thankfully they had the bison brown. You may be better off ordering them. You'll still come out ahead even with paying shipping vs a more expensive pant.

You can take the Eddie Bauer pants back to the store and get new ones if the stitching is coming apart. They have a 100% lifetime warranty.

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
Wore these while mowing the yard and to the high school football stadium to do the bleachers. After about 6 hours of being outside in them and sweating a bit, they seem very comfortable. It isn't hot here, just 85 degrees, so I am not sure what these pants would feel like in actual heat. But, they breathed very well today and kept me from feeling like I was walking through a river of sweat.

One thing hat knocks some points off of their overall rating is the noise. I am not sure if they need to be worn down a bit, but they do "swish" a lot when walking. Other than that, they are solid pants so far.

Owenst7

WKR
Wore these while mowing the yard and to the high school football stadium to do the bleachers. After about 6 hours of being outside in them and sweating a bit, they seem very comfortable. It isn't hot here, just 85 degrees, so I am not sure what these pants would feel like in actual heat. But, they breathed very well today and kept me from feeling like I was walking through a river of sweat.

One thing hat knocks some points off of their overall rating is the noise. I am not sure if they need to be worn down a bit, but they do "swish" a lot when walking. Other than that, they are solid pants so far.

I wore mine on a backpacking trip last weekend and did about 5 miles in/ 5 miles out with about a 1000' climb in the middle. It was 92F, and I thought they breathed really well. I wore them on a 3 day/20 mile trip in the Jarbidge Wilderness a few weeks ago going off trail and climbing ridges in Elk country and was pretty happy with them. They've held up great to more bushwhacking in sagebrush than I care to do. I'm confident they'll last me just as long as a good pair of jeans would in the same conditions, but I'll be way more comfortable.

.50 CAL

FNG
I've been wearing mine camping/hiking/fishing all summer, I love the stretch. They are a little tight on my thighs. Still very comfortable and easy to climb into the bed of the truck etc. I will be comparing these with the Prana Zion and FL guide pants in a few weeks on my ML deer hunt.

I have three pairs of the Wrangler "performance series" pants. They are very comfortable, light, and breathe well. For $25, they are also a great value. Here is the link: 404.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
The Wrangler hiking pants are a great value.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
Anyone have the weight of these?

12.8 ounces for a 32"x32" of the WalMart style with the horizontal cargo zippers. I was just looking at a pair in Target that are very similar...same fabric I think, but they have a vertical cargo zipper and snaps on the cuff for rolling them up (pretty sure they're the same one picture in the first post of this thread). The Target ones look to have a looser fit in the thighs than the ones I have. I prefer the slimmer fit and the bigger cargo pockets (the Target pair only had a cargo on the right leg) on the Walmart ones so I didn't buy any.

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
12.8 ounces for a 32"x32" of the WalMart style with the horizontal cargo zippers. I was just looking at a pair in Target that are very similar...same fabric I think, but they have a vertical cargo zipper and snaps on the cuff for rolling them up (pretty sure they're the same one picture in the first post of this thread). The Target ones look to have a looser fit in the thighs than the ones I have. I prefer the slimmer fit and the bigger cargo pockets (the Target pair only had a cargo on the right leg) on the Walmart ones so I didn't buy any.

You're dead on. These have the vertical zipper and just one pocket. I'm a fan of cargo pockets, so my next pair will likely be the Walmart style

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
Just wanted to update the thread since I have a bit more experience with these pants now. I have a couple takeaways so far:

1) the initial noise of these has drastically reduced. I was able to spot and stalk within 20 yards of pigs and 60 yards of whitetail. Neither of those is an easy feat, and the pants were dead quiet.

2) they are plain comfortable. It hasn't bee cold yet, but they have been great from 65-85 degrees

3) the vertical zipper is awesome for holding my phone. I can get it in and out while sitting down because the zipper runs parallel with the ground when in a chair. Keeps me from having to straighten a leg to get into my pocket.

4) they hold up to brush pretty dang well. I was on my hands and knees in some oak thicker, and the branches weren't snagging or pulling the fabric.

I am very pleased with these and would recommend them for a mild weather hunting pant.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wanted to update the thread since I have a bit more experience with these pants now. I have a couple takeaways so far:

1) the initial noise of these has drastically reduced. I was able to spot and stalk within 20 yards of pigs and 60 yards of whitetail. Neither of those is an easy feat, and the pants were dead quiet.

2) they are plain comfortable. It hasn't bee cold yet, but they have been great from 65-85 degrees

3) the vertical zipper is awesome for holding my phone. I can get it in and out while sitting down because the zipper runs parallel with the ground when in a chair. Keeps me from having to straighten a leg to get into my pocket.

4) they hold up to brush pretty dang well. I was on my hands and knees in some oak thicker, and the branches weren't snagging or pulling the fabric.

I am very pleased with these and would recommend them for a mild weather hunting pant.

Any experience with water shedding or dry time? I wouldn’t have high expectations for their price but.....

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
Any experience with water shedding or dry time? I wouldn’t have high expectations for their price but.....

Dry time is pretty quick from what I have experienced. I haven't sat through a rain, but I have spilled about 1/2 gallon on them on accident and about 10 minutes later they were dry to the touch in 85 degree heat with 80% humidity. They wick sweat really well. They will stay damp for a bit if you're really pouring sweat into them, but if you have good air flow they dry fully within 10-15 minutes outside in the sun.

If they are soaking wet from sweat and I just throw them on the floor inside under a fan, it takes about 20 minutes.

As for water shedding, they don't shed water very well. Anything you don't immediately wipe off gets soaked in.

Owenst7

WKR

I don't follow how price would be related? Polyester, nylon, spandex, etc have the same material properties regardless of how much you pay. Nylon will absorb about 5% more water by weight than polyester no matter who brands it.

DWR is a temporary superficial treatment at best, and can be applied to any garment whenever you want. It also needs reapplication after a wash or two with any garment. Abrasion will do the same. Paying extra for a finished garment is silly when you can buy a bottle to do ~15 applications for like $10.

There seems to be two versions of the pants. The older version is cut pretty generous. The newer, "cargo pant", version is a much slimmer fit but seem to be constructed better than the earlier ones. I am trying to track down another pair or two of the older ones.

Performance-wise, they are great. I wore them for 10 days in Idaho during a mix of weather conditions. Very lightweight and easily shed mud/snow/water. Can't really comment on how fast drying they were because they don't really soak up water.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't follow how price would be related? Polyester, nylon, spandex, etc have the same material properties regardless of how much you pay. Nylon will absorb about 5% more water by weight than polyester no matter who brands it.

DWR is a temporary superficial treatment at best, and can be applied to any garment whenever you want. It also needs reapplication after a wash or two with any garment. Abrasion will do the same. Paying extra for a finished garment is silly when you can buy a bottle to do ~15 applications for like $10.

Poor wording on my part. I was curious if it had dwr because of the price point they would make a great work pant for me which would get trashed before needing to reapply dwr. I lost the pair I had but remember them to be somewhat thick. In my experience a factory dwr on thicker or tightly woven material has performed better than applying myself.

I think I paid $25 for them which is great, dwr or not, even better if they do have dwr.

I’m a fan of dwr spray cans, just not a fan of chemical exposure.