3rd season colorado

Hey guys never hunted in November before and need some help. I know the past few years have been warmer then normal on 3rd but what do you guys pack for the colder weather? I am really wondering what to use for my outer layer. Would the Kuiu kenia insulated jacket be a good idea? I am really out of my area with this cold weather stuff haha. Any help will be appreciated.

topher89

WKR
Generally, in the area I hunt there is patches of standing snow during 3rd season which means it is cool enough they are not melting.

I am usually wearing
Bottoms
Midweight Smartwool bottoms
Softshell pants (I am going to try the Corrugate guides this year)
Gaiters (only if the snow is really piled up or its really wet out)

First Lite Llano T shirt
Chama Hoody
Patagonia R1 Pullover

In my pack, I have an Arcteryx Atom LT jacket and a pair of insulated pants (can't remember the brand, I bought them from an REI garage sale). These two items only come out if it is really cold or I am sitting and glassing.

Orange stocking cap, merino wool balaclava and two pairs of gloves (fleece lines and thicker snowboarding type glove)

Bottoms:
Flannel lined pants
smartwool bottoms (if needed but still packed)
Lightweight goretex bottoms (if needed but still packed)
Danner insulated boots or Scarpa boots (depends on conditions).

Top:
lightweight smart wool t-shirt
Patagonia R-1 pullover
mountain hardware insulated jacket (older model, don't remember the name but this thing is toasty and packs into its own pocket)
HH goretex jacket or soft-shell jacket depending on conditions.

orange beanie or orange ball cap depending....

Big thing is layers.....be prepared to add/strip as needed depending on you activity level.

I typically ATV in for about an hour so when riding in at 0400 I have a set of carhartt bibs and carhartt jacket that I throw on. I leave these with the ATV when I start to hike in.

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be in unit 28 for the 3rd rifle. I am prepared for backpacking or a base camp depending on the weather in the higher elevations. First time in this unit so we will see.

ericF

WKR
For When it gets really cold, this is what I wear

Bottom
Kuiu Ultra Merino 210 Zip-Offs
Kuiu Kenai Pants or Super down pants. I usually don't need this layer unless it is DAMN COLD.
Favorite Soft Shell Pants. Kuiu Guide or similar
Gaiters if snowy
Hot hands Toe Warmers-My toes get cold and if you are setup in one spot for a morning these help. If you are moving, not needed.

First Lite LLano 1/4 zip
First Lite Chama
Sitka Traverse
Your favorite Puffy here
Softshell-Kuiu Guide or other similar softshell

Others
Sitka Blizzard Beanie for super cold, or just standard orange Under Armour beanie if just cold with an orange ball cap for when it warms up.
When it is super cold, I also have an UA balaclava to protect the neck. In colorado with the orange requirements, I don't find hooded pieces useful if you stay within the letter of the law.
Merino Liner gloves and then a good set of gloves to go over those, or even a muff to keep your hands in. The Merino liner really helps keep your hands intact when you have gloves off to do things.
Handwarmers if needed depending on your glove system.
Cushioned seat- There are tonnes of types out there, but I use NEP Outdoors Heat a Seat. It is just cushioning to sit on and it gets your butt up off the ground a little more than a pad. Only useful if you plan on sitting for a couple hours, but I find it invaluable.
Something like the above should be more than warm enough for what Colorado throws at you and it is overkill if it isn't really cold, ie 30's to 40's and sunny.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt 28/37 during 3rd season - have for the past decade. Weather can be warm to down right freezing. So here's what I use/bring:

Kuiu 210 Base layer, Kuiu Guide pants (or FirstLite Kanab 2.0), Kuiu Yukon Gaiters
Kuiu 210 1/4 Zip, Kuiu Kenai jacket, Kuiu Guide Jacket (or First Light uncompaghre)
Kuiu Northstar gloves (or FirstLight Grizzly Gloves)

Or if it's hotter:

Kuiu 145 base bottoms, Kuiu Attack pants, Kuiu Yukon Gaiters
Rest is the same.

Mostly just be comfortable and try not to sweat. So, if you're moving, take layers off to stay cool, and then put them on when you stop to stay warm. Sweat freezes and can make for a cold trip if you get wet hiking in to your spot.

Good Luck!

I try to always have a 3rd season deer tag in CO. I have been lucky enough to be able to do that the past few years and have one this year as well. It is a new unit though, so I don't really know what the weather could be like. Regardless I will try to be ready for anything. I will be truck camping. This is what I am planning on bringing/wearing. I'll bring this for my 2nd season hunt as well.

Bottoms
Kuiu Yukon Gaiters
Kuiu Merino 145 Zip Bottoms
Kuiu Attack Pants (Warm Weather)
Sitka Ascent Pants 2016 Version (Warm Weather Back Up)
Kuiu Guide Pants (Cold Weather)
Sitka Timberlines (Cold Weather Back Up)

Tops
Sitka Merino 1/4 Zip - 2
Sitka Jetstream Jacket
Kuiu Superdown Jacket
Sitka Kelvin Lite Jacket (Back Up)
UA Blaze Orange Vest

Other
Kuiu Guide Gloves (Back Up)
Sitka Mountain Gloves
Kuiu Yukon Pro Gloves (Cold)
Kuiu Northstar Gloves (Colder)
Sitka Ballistic Hat
Kuiu Guide Beanie
Blaze Orange Fleece Beanie
Kuiu 145 Merino Beanie
Sitka Balaclava

If it is warm like it was during 3rd season last year (different unit though), then the attacks with the merino baselayer in my pack will work. There is a fair amount of sage brush in this country so when I'm wearing the attacks I'll definitely be wearing my gaiters. The attacks seam to catch more then my other pants. Last year I wore my timberlines the entire time, except the morning after they were bloody so I did the merino base layer wit the ascents. The timberlines were a little hot at time, but where we were hunting was very steep terrain. I want to test out the guide pants so I'll use them for a few days to see if I like them or not. Might be too hot though. As far as my tops, I 'll hike in a merino layer and the jetstream probably most of the time. In the mornings I'll have the pit zips open when hiking and if we stop and glass I'll throw a puffy on to stay warm. I don't like hiking in a puffy because I heat up to quick, but I don't have any experience with the Kenai and that might be a perfect application for it. I really enjoy rifle hunting with my jetstream. It hasn't failed me yet.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm bringing my kenai for third season. I'm not expecting it to be something to keep me warm glassing in freezing temperatures for extended periods. What I expect it to be is something I can wear all day over a light merino. That's what I did for archery season except had to remove it midday. If the temperature doesn't go over 50ish I can keep it on while opening the pit zips and or the front zipper.

Since it will be a truck camp I can bring more clothing to experiment with. Teton insulated jacket to go under it, cheap down jacket to go over it, my insulated ski parka. I can't see needing more than one additional with it, just need to see what I like.

My gear list.
Skre merino bottoms (unless it's hot)

Skre hard scrabble pants (so far I'm expecting them to fair better in sage than the attack pants)

Cabelas short gaiters (tall would be preferred but it's what I got)

Kuiu 125 merino long sleeve

Kenai with hood (same thing I wore for archery season. I took it off mid day but likely to keep it on during third)

What I'm packing if it gets cold. Base camp so I have the space to bring options.

Kenai pants

Teton insulated jacket, cheap down jacket, insulated ski parka. This is experimental to see what I like in combination with the kenai if needed.

Rain shell (soft shell would be fine, I just don't have one. Main purpose here is windblock)

Accessories. Liner gloves (considering getting the Sitka traverse)

Carrhart snow gloves (mainly for wet weather as they are sub par for cold glassing)

Primaloft mittens for glassing (get some, an item this small isn't going to be a measurable weight difference compared to a down version. Less worry if wet)

Neck gaiter or balaclava.

Required orange. Ball cap, beanie, vest.

Footwear. Solamon quest gtx boots.

Insulated boots (don't remember the name)

Light liner socks

Multiple pairs of mid weight wool socks (keep one pair in my pack in case I need to swap for a drier pair. My experience wool doesn't dry fast so I rotate them before they get unbearable. Yes warm wen wet but not that comfortable in a damp sock).