Build me a system

Ok so we are planning a backpack elk hunt for next year, either in Colorado or New Mexico, I don't have any type of hunting gear at all for this style of hunting. Is there some type of guideline or something for this type of purchase? I would rather buy good stuff now that will last me 10 years then buy something to just get me by for a year or two.

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
Start with a Kifaru pack. Which one, it's your preference. They are hands down the best. I'd also suggest their Tipi and stove. From their, buy either Kuiu or Firstlite clothes. One complete set, base layer, main layer, cold weather and rain gear. Try some of the high end brand shoes at trade shows and find ones that work well for you. Crispi - Kenetrek - lathrop and sons. Sleep wear, go to the quilt setup verses sleeping bag. Seems odd at first but actually pretty sweet. Enlightened Equipment is the. Eat quilt builder. Thermarest Xtherm is the best air mat.

There's a start. Hope you have $10k sitting around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People barely use stuff then sell it for the latest and greatest so Keep your eyes on the classifieds here, 85% of my stuff is second hand. Spend the most possible on optics , pack and boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
People barely use stuff then sell it for the latest and greatest so Keep your eyes on the classifieds here, 85% of my stuff is second hand. Spend the most possible on optics , pack and boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agree. ^^^

If you are to pay full price for clothes Skre is very reasonable, a young company so I can't say if it will outlast the big names but so far they have been well received by several forum members. Another thing I like about Skre is they don't have too much products to overwhelm you. Look through their site and you'll have a good idea of a layer system.

Buying top brands new or used will get you more in return if you want to sell it. Sure we all want to get it right the first time but I doubt anyone got everything right the first time.

OP
S
Thanks for everyone's input, I have the gun, scope, binoculars and spotter covered, plus all my gear for long range hunting. I was thinking about the Metcalf pack, pro master xc525c tripod with a outdoorsman head. The main stuff I'm clueless about is a tent and clothing, I know there is a ton of different options out there from some well respected company's, just trying to wrap my mind around it all. My plan is to watch the classifieds and camofire for deals on everything, I don't care if I have the latest and greatest stuff I'm more concerned about spending my money on good quality stuff that will last many years vs stuff that's only going to last a couple. Bad thing is I'm 6' 4" 225 muscular build, most of the clothing I wear is 2xl where's a lot of the stuff for sale on the classifieds are the smaller sizes. I wish I could find someone about my size that's trying to sell a complete setup and just buy everything they have.
Thanks Rusty

I was in a similar position at this time last year. The information and opinions on this site certainly helped guide me to what kind gear and layering systems I should be looking for.

My advice is similar to what the others have said and watch the classifieds. You can save a little money, but for the most part year old high end equipment isn't sold for that much less than new so keep an eye out on retailers blowing out last years inventory too.

Since you're bigger than most guys you might be able to pick stuff up even cheaper since every blow out sale is S or XXL.

I would also recommend calculating the experience value of the trip vs your budget. If this is a once in a lifetime kind of hunt for you can plan on buying top quality then selling for 90% of new in some cases. You'll enjoy the experience and recover your money after the hunt.

Don't overlook all the miscellaneous gear you will need like water filters, GPS, sleeping pad/bag, bear can if necessary, game bags, knifes/saws rangefinders, bino harness, stove yadda yadda yadda. It'll nickel and dime you into debt so plan accordingly.

You'll enjoy the process more if you start buying sooner than later. It'll burn you out if you need to source stuff for a trip like that in a short period of time.

OP
S
I already have a lot of the smaller items for general hunting like a rangefinder, GPS, knifes/saw, bino harness, lights, fire starter kit, first aid kit and so on, good point on starting early, I figured if I could buy a couple of items a month for the next year by the time the hunt gets here I will hopefully have most the big ticket items bought and only have to get a few more things I might have looked over needing.

OP
S
Has anyone bought the Skre extreme all season bundle? I was looking at that set up and it looks pretty good to me... get everything all at once and be done with it.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Spend money on a pack and sleep system first. Then look at clothing and other gear.

There are a ton of videos at the link below that should help you get started!

Good luck!

Owenst7

WKR
Focus your money on a sleeping bag/pad, shelter, and pack. I'd venture to say footwear should be at the top of your list if you don't have that figured out already.

I've got a Western Mountaineering bag rated for my expected lows, that was where I splurged because I'll have it for the rest of my life. I use a $20 down quilt from Costco and some extra base layers down to about 45F-50F for my hammock in the summer. It weighs 14.6 ounces.

I've got a $30 Klymit pad that's 19oz. I'd like to upgrade to a 12oz pad like an Xlite next season, or I may do a 3/4 length inflatable with a ridgerest so I have something to sit/lay on that's multipurpose.

You'd be hard pressed to find more bang for your buck than a Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter. There's lighter options, but you'll spend a lot more and some of them won't be nearly as durable. When I'm not expecting nasty weather/precipitation, I just bring a ~7' flat tarp that I pitch with my hiking poles/trees/rocks since I really just want it for shade. It's faster, smaller, and much cheaper than a full blown shelter. I sleep with a mosquito head net on when the bugs are bad. Hammocks are great if you are planning on being in trees and not expecting cold temperatures. I ditch mine around 40F at night or if I'm expecting moderate weather because they're just not weight and cost efficient. I love having a hammock to glass from or take a nap in on a hot day though. Mine always comes with me on scouting trips. I usually bring a foam ridgerest or a down underquilt, depending on the conditions. An inflatable works too, but they detract from the comfort for me usually.

Pack is subjective. I'm using the same Osprey that I backpack with. My knees are not interested in carrying more than it can handle when I'm solo in a remote area.

After that, scrutinize your stove/cooking setup and your food. My food is around 125 calories/ounce and about 110 calories/ounce as packed in daily gallon freezer ziplocks. I've got white gas (I've got 4, but my two Sveas are by far my favorite), alcohol, and canister stoves that I choose based on the individual trip. I'm usually not carrying more than 16 ounces/person for my cooking system, including fuel for 5-7 days. I prefer the Svea if cooking for multiple people, or in harsh conditions because it's fast, reliable, and cheap to fuel. Split between two people, it's lighter than any cooking setup I would run solo.

My clothing is merino blend Costco/Paradox, $30 for a top and bottom baselayer. I wear it as an outer layer in 100 degree heat to protect my neck and arms from sunburn so I don't need sunblock (8.8oz top/5.4oz bottom). Socks are the Kirkland merino trail socks for $3/pair(2.7oz)...everything else I've tried gives me blisters. I've got a handful of stretchy nylon and polyester blend pants in neutral colors that are all $20-$30/pair(12.8oz, Wrangler). $20 fleece quarter zip from just about anywhere(7.7oz for my REI one I just bought). I wear $10 boxer briefs from Walmart (3.1oz). Puffy jacket is 650 fill from Costco/Sierra Trading Post/Amazon for $30 (10.2oz). I haven't found a rain jacket I like yet that's under 15 ounces, currently is a Sportsman's Warehouse packable jacket I got for $50 and is 14.4 oz. It doesn't rain here much though, so a lot of the time I just carry a 2 ounce emergency poncho that's like $1 from any sporting goods store. Oh, and a 3 ounce polyester boonie hat that has a neck shade to protect my face and neck from the sun. This covered me for three seasons in Alaska with the addition of some stretchy Helly Hansen pants for hard rain, and I typically leave out the puffy, bottom base layer, and rain jacket for much of the year in Northern Nevada. Calling wolves in Alaska in the winter down to about -5F, I just switched out the merino bottoms for a pair of fleece bottoms that were actually just a hair lighter. I switched to a much heavier down jacket after that, or went to a full Refrigiwear suit most of the time. My hands are usually too hot, but below about 20F I would wear the Atlas Thermagrip gloves that I used for roofing.
Totals for all my clothing, including what I wear in is $166(59.5 ounces), $216 (74 ounces) if I bring the rain jacket.

I'm 5'10", 165 lbs, 32"x32". I wear a medium in just about anything that is sized properly. I budget about 2200-2700 calories a day depending on the conditions. Sometimes I have trouble eating 2000 cal/day if it's hot and I'm working hard. From hunting and working construction in Alaska, I learned about myself that I'm typically happier if I budget extra food to deal with cold conditions. An increase in 1000 cal/day (about 10 ounces for me) will make me feel like its 20 degrees warmer, and I'll be happier if I'm stuffed all day. I have a pretty high metabolism, and this was really apparent when it was around 35-40 degrees and pouring rain all day.

Last edited:
Plan on getting 'addicted' after this trip. Most of us once we caught the bug, we never let go.
In saying that be sure that you understand you will make changes to your system every year!
None of us can afford to buy the best of each category the very first year. That's unrealistic.

Just get started with a modest goal based on the good advice these guys give.
I never use google anymore for outdoor advice...I just search for it here on Rokslide.

Best tip I have is get TWO pair of boots you can depend on.

Get excited!

Clothing take a look at Kryptek as well. I don't have much experience with the other high end clothing like kuiu or Sitka but I like my Kryptek. I think they are reasonably priced for what you get. Except for the altitude line. That's just way out there price wise.

OP
S
Thanks everyone for all yall's input, keep it coming. I know this is the wrong section to ask but if anyone has any more insight on the shelter/ sleeping system, cooking sets, etc...let me know, I'm not made of money but would like to buy good quality stuff, I don't mind spending the money on something if it is justifiable. I like follow the buy once cry once philosophy haha, spend the money on the really important stuff and save money where I can.

Owenst7

WKR
Thanks everyone for all yall's input, keep it coming. I know this is the wrong section to ask but if anyone has any more insight on the shelter/ sleeping system, cooking sets, etc...let me know, I'm not made of money but would like to buy good quality stuff, I don't mind spending the money on something if it is justifiable. I like follow the buy once cry once philosophy haha, spend the money on the really important stuff and save money where I can.

A small canister stove (really just a burner) like a kovea supalite or pocket rocket/BRS is pretty versatile and lightweight. Do an Olicamp aluminum mug (i have a 3 pc set from Mountain Summit Gear that i usually select one piece from for a trip) and maybe a pot or skillet. It really depends on what you like to cook and how fast you want it. Some stoves simmer well, others boil water fast, some are better in wind, some are more fuel efficient, none are the best at everything.

Jetboils, or the competitors' equivalent are fast and efficient on fuel, but the fuel savings will never make up for how heavy they are. They're really only practical if your primary goal is to boil water ASAP and youre willing to sacrifice weight for that utility. Theyre so expensive, I'd say they are too specialized/niche to be the best idea for someone just getting in to backpacking. Maybe it'd be different if you already knew you could stomach/afford eating Mountain House every day. You may find that you really like hearty stews or fresh bacon, and you'll end up wanting something that can simmer well. I usually bring a ~500-700ml cup and a plastic cup ($2 starbucks or mini nalgene) to drink out of. One of my little pots is wide enough to fry a few strips of bacon in if i cut them in thirds. Most of my cooking is really just boiling water when im alone (oats, chow mein, rice, macaroni, beans, etc). Sometimes I will bring shredded dehydrated potatoes with bacon bits. When i bring my girlfriend, i usually do fresh eggs and bacon, pancakes, wild trout, salmon fillets, etc. My food ends up doubling in weight for those trips. I hiked in a growler of beer to my fly fising spot over labor day haha.

I wouldn't get hung up on expensive cookware (titanium). The weight savings per dollar over aluminum is marginal and aluminum is far better for actual cooking. Get something cheap and functional until you figure out what shape you want and then think about spending $50+ just to save an ounce. That $50 would go way farther with your sleeping system, shelter, backpack, rifle, optics...really anywhere.

I think a versatile cooking system makes more sense when you're starting out. It makes more sense to me to put together a cooking system that works with the food I like than to let my cooking system dictate the food I can eat. If you find that you always want to pack the same food, then it makes sense to put together something specialized. Part of the great thing of having a variety of cooking gear is that you can pack different gear to suit the conditions and what you are going to crave to eat while you're out there.

Last edited:
I will 2nd Owens's on the Mountainsmith tent. There is no better tent for the money and the thing is bomb proof. I have a stove jack in mine and a little stove makes it nice. Spend the money on boots, pack, sleep system. Check out the Exo packs they are pricey but so good hauling. They are very easy to get your money back on too. I bought mine off of the classifieds here. I might have missed it but I assume your packing in?

I agree that the jetboil is a fairly heavy stove option but it is more fuel efficient which translates into taking less fuel on a long trip.

I forgot trekking poles in my original list of things not to overlook. They don't have to be expensive but they are necessary.

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I agree on the mountain smith, although bright yellow for mine I like it and plan to put a stove jack in it. You could also have William Hanson build you his DIY mega tarp that is pretty lightweight and tough.

Damn, that's a lot to buy for a hunt you may or may not do again. I'd loan ya everything for your 1st hunt but I'm kinda out of your way...live in So. Cal.

OP
S
It will not be just one hunt, I plan on going at least every year or every other year, I am finally at a point in my life where I have enough money and time to start doing these types of hunts. Several Buddys are starting to get to the same point in their life where they can do the same. So we will be going more and more as time goes on. My son is about old enough to start going on small camping trips also.