Kuiu Attack Pants

Hersh

FNG
What other pants in other brands compare. I need a pair of pants for a mule deer hunt in Montana this November. I have read a lot of great reviews of the attack pants but am looking at other options as well. Thanks for your help. Ryan

Trr15

WKR
Check out the Sitka timberlines. One of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have the attack pants and the corrugate guides from first lite. I love the attack pants the fit better and I like the material on the kuiu's much better than the first lite's. The attack pants are an athletic cut where as my first lite's are much baggier. I recently ordered timberlines, but they haven't arrived yet.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Every time I wear the Attacks I wonder why I am not selling everything else. Those and the Guides for late season are all a guy needs I think.

X2, alpine pants are pretty much perfect, I recently scored some guides and I can tell already they will get used a lot.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skre hard scrabble pants. I feel I can stay out of my rain gear longer than I could in the attack pants. The material is a tighter weave yet still breathes well. To me you get weather protection similar to the kuiu guide but the temp range of the attack. Easy to layer under for cold weather.

I ran the Attack pants last year. Hands down the most comfortable pants I've owned. But with that said I am back to Sitka pants this year. The Attacks are extremely comfortable but defiantly do not have the durability that Sitka pants have. Others will disagree but this is my experience. I've wore Sitka Ascent pants for multiple years, 30-50 hunt days and they stayed strong. I wore the Attacks on 3 hunts totaling 16 days last year and they were already falling apart at the seems and crotch not to mention the peeling on front lower leg. I've been a Sitka "whore" since 2009 and have never had any of these issues. I will never be the one to bash Kuiu but I had multiple items fall apart last year. I had a peloton shirt come apart at the seems hiking with a pack on last year at the 2 mile mark. Needless to say there is no more Kuiu gear in my set up. Like I said this is just my opinion and experience.

jmez

WKR
Kryptek Alaios would be comparable. I've had no issues with them and like them. I have some Attack's as well and I don't see much difference between the two. The Attacks have pilled pretty bad from the knee down. Just got a pair of the Skre Hardscrabble pants off Camofire. Haven't worn them yet but they seem pretty heavy to me, heavier than the Alaios or the Attack, definitely not for early season.

Jardo

WKR
Kryptek Alaios would be comparable. I've had no issues with them and like them. I have some Attack's as well and I don't see much difference between the two. The Attacks have pilled pretty bad from the knee down. Just got a pair of the Skre Hardscrabble pants off Camofire. Haven't worn them yet but they seem pretty heavy to me, heavier than the Alaios or the Attack, definitely not for early season.

Skre Hardscrabble are the heaviest pants I own. They don't see daylight until late November. Not a good comparison to the Attack pants at all.

I have the attacks, guide and timberline.

Attacks are very comfy and I like the fit. I haven't run them enough to comment on durability. Definitely a slim fit, heading toward skinny jeans but they have crazy stretch so feels like they move well.

The guides are comfy in a different way. Much more baggy and loose. They are probably my least favorite in terms of fit but great pants.

The timberline are awesome late in the year. Good fit and lots of pockets. Not a slim as kuiu but not baggy like fl. It is a bit unfair to compare them to the attacks because they have a lot more features - knee pads, waterproof seat and knees - and cost $100 more.

I had a set of kuiu Alpines that I would describe as a blend of the attack and timberline. Unfortunately there was some confusion on the Alpines having a DWR whe pn they first came out. I loved the fit and features but the first day I took them out was a cold mix of rain and snow. After 6 hours of still hunting up and down a mountain, I was soaked from the waste down and borderline ehypothermic. Turns out they did not have a DWR as advertised. Kuiu made it right and changed the description of the pants to no dwr. If they started making those Alpines with a dwr, they would be my one pants to rule them all for mid and late season hunting.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those saying the HS pants are heavy, what climate are you in? I bought mine for November in Colorado expecting highs up to 60 while being prepped for snow (we're overdue for cold in November). I am surprised that they can go to about 75. For clarification that's starting around 30 and only hitting 75 for a few hours. That's in a relatively low humidity of Colorado mountains. I don't wear them in summer nor would I if hunting here in lower elevations where the daily swing is 50-80+.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am very pleased with the attack pants (I mix match camo/solids/brands for the record...), they fit ME great and have held up well for me but I don't thrash through scrub like I've done on past hunts. I highly enjoy the hip vents. The SKRE are another pant I'd check out since they also have hip vents when the time comes but I'm good to go currently. Hip vents in my opinion aren't hype, they work and keep me more comfortable (my thighs aren't roasting on hills) so until some more brands jump on the wagon I'll be limiting my cooler weather pants to kuiu or skre. Hot weather you can just go thinner or the perforated technology and there are more brand options.

The "skinny jeans" comments. Just so we're on the same page when I hear that I am thinking the skin tight bean pole leg pants you see on hipsters. The kuiu are absolutely not cut like that. They are cut like a "regular" or "straight" pair of jeans which is not "relaxed" or "loose" fit baggier nor is it "slim". Again while not skin tight then don't need to be baggy since they stretch which makes then damn comfortable in my opinion versus cheaper pants that don't stretch and cut them baggy to account for movement. This won't fit some body types though but it should not be confused with actual skinny jeans.

If camo/vents aren't desired I really enjoy the eddie baurer pro guide pants for casual wear. They are cut very similar to the attack pants (and similar pocket layout as well), a bit thinner and also stretch.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with pods8 about the skinny thing. Kuiu pants are not like the hipster's that are so tight they look like body paint.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I really like my attacks but I wish they would redisign the front pockets and make them deeper and shaped better for a clipped on knife.

See I like them not so deep so when I have something in them its not half down my thigh pushing into my leg while I hike, I also like the horizontal cut that is easy to dive my hand into esp. with a pack on. That said I don't carry my knife in my front pocket.

jmez

WKR
fng4life, I haven't worn my Skre pants yet. The heavy comment was just based on unpacking them and trying them on. I saw them on Camofire and they were cheap so I ordered a pair. I bowhunt elk mid to late September and they are going to be far too heavy for that time frame. I also have a pretty high thermostat so am not a good source for for temp ratings as mine seems to differ from most guys. The Alaois and Attack are both too heavy for me during that time frame about 90% of the time.

As far as fit on all these it is completely dependent on your build, body type, and personal preference. I prefer my hunting pants to fit like a pair of regular pants. I don't care if they stretch I don't like a close fit at all. I upsize in all of the brands to get the fit I like. To me, when I see athletic cut, I think body type of a marathon runner or triathlete.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As far as fit on all these it is completely dependent on your build, body type, and personal preference. I prefer my hunting pants to fit like a pair of regular pants. I don't care if they stretch I don't like a close fit at all. I upsize in all of the brands to get the fit I like. To me, when I see athletic cut, I think body type of a marathon runner or triathlete.

Definitely on the body type and preference part.

Not to nitpick but they do actually fit like "regular" cut pants. If you're used to upsizing or wearing "relaxed" or "loose" pants they will feel slimmer but the cut is pretty "regular".

The closer fit of the "regular" cut I like with this material as "loose" cut pants end up usually having a low crotch cut which I find annoying hiking up/down hills. With the "regular" cut nothing is overly baggy and the material stretches easily with my movement and I don't feel any binding as I move. That's just my user preference and observations based on "regular" vs "loose" cut pants/jeans.

jmez

WKR
I can't wear regular cut pants in anything. Have never been able to wear them. I prefer a full cut. Funny you mention the crotch cut. When I tried on the Skre pants I thought what the hell? The crotch on these things must only be about 4 inches tall. They fit me like a low rise cut. It won't be an issue because I'll just wear them around here tree stand hunting. I wouldn't want to be walking in them all day, it would drive me nuts.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can't wear regular cut pants in anything. Have never been able to wear them. I prefer a full cut. Funny you mention the crotch cut. When I tried on the Skre pants I thought what the hell? The crotch on these things must only be about 4 inches tall. They fit me like a low rise cut. It won't be an issue because I'll just wear them around here tree stand hunting. I wouldn't want to be walking in them all day, it would drive me nuts.

That's what I was trying to highlight as the issue when you were saying you wanted them to fit like a regular pair of pants, the pants you regularly wear aren't regulars and someone might misinterpret that. Sorry to use your reply to nitpick the point so much. :) Haven't tried the skre out myself, good to know on the cut issue there.