Kryptek quality

mdfanatic

FNG
Wondering why you don't hear much about Kryptek? I'm in need of a few items to add to my arsenal. Kryptek seams nicely priced, the pattern isn't bad, so it made me wonder. I would get Sitka, but hate to be "that guy" wearing the expensive stuff. But I do like their subalpine pattern as well as the open country. Thoughts here?

I have almost the entire line of both and only wear the Kryptek in the hottest months of the year, Sitka is what I usually wear and the Subalpine line is really nice, especially the Core Lightweight Hoody w/ built-in facemask.

View attachment 57428

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
I have a few Kryptek pieces I really like. The Aquillo is a fantastic puffy, I also really like a few pairs of their gloves. I quite like the Sherpa hoody as well but it is a bit prone to pilling and I had to order a size bigger than their other products. I don't own any of their pants so I can't comment on those. I don't think their rain gear is as breathable as Sitka, FL, or Kuiu but it's still great quality for all but the most intense types of weather, imo. I generally research my gear piece by piece regardless of brand and have stuff from most of them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bucko

FNG
I have there supposedly top of the line rain gear- only a couple years old ,hasnt been worn much and it leaks like a seive!

jmez

WKR
I have some of their items and don't have any complaints. Quality and function have been good.

I have a few of their hunting shirts. They don't get a lot of use as I spend most of my time in a SS merino top when hunting.

Alaois pants, I've worn these a bunch and really like them. They are a little heavy for early season but work well. Think I've had them 4 or 5 years and no durability issues. Comparable to Sitka Mountain pants. I sold my mountain pants after I got these.

Vidar vest, really like it. Have had it 4-5 years and still looks new. This is my primary insulation layer so I wear it quite a bit. Good fit and function. Only vest I've owned so can't compare it to anything.

Koldo rain gear Heavy duty stuff. Has never leaked at all. Not packable, heavy and hot. I still use it around home but no longer take it to the mountains. Not practical for a backpack hunt.

Aegis Extreme parka. Wife bought me this for Bday. It is a nice piece of gear but I rarely wear it. Have had it in snow and it's never leaked. It is just too hot for me. Unless the temps get down into the single digits I sweat in it.

Dalibor coat. Really like the coat. Doesn't go to the mountains but use it around here for all winter hunting and ice fishing. Has held up well. 4-5 years of use and still looks new.

Tsnider

WKR
i use all kryptek and really like it, but i havent tried any other "high end" hunting clothing. all used primarily for archery.
the aquillo is a fantastic puffy, as said above
i really like the ragnar pant. some people say they are bell bottoms, which i dont seem to notice as much as a lot of guys. i guess im not looking at myself in the mirror enough to see how cool i need to look.
the valhalla long sleeve is usually what top i usually rock all season long.
i have the first gen hoplite merino, but all ive really done is sleep in it. if i buy new merino ill get the new light weight option.
i have the koldo rain gear. i agree it isnt backpack friendly. heavy stuff, but never had a leak. to those who do have leaks, send it back? its rain gear.
for backpacking i have the poiseden rain gear. though its been so hot and dry i haven't needed to use it yet. i have no doubt itll keep me dry.

the kryptek pattern is my personal favorite, and everyone i have ever hunted with has had me has commented that they lost track of me when i stop moving. if your buddy that knows your there cant see you, it gives me some confidence the critters cant either. though i do know it doesnt matter all that much.

mcseal2

WKR
I have the Dalibor II coat and pants and use them both an awful lot. The Aquillo puffy is just a bit short for me to really like it, I prefer a bit longer cut to keep out drafts. I haven't used their base layers much, I had core 4 and sitka synthetic stuff off camofire I use and this year started with First Lite Aerowool and love it. For softshell pants and jackets I think the Kryptek is as good as the Sitka stuff I have.

excaliber

WKR
The Aquillo is the only piece I really like but I think it's a bit on the short side. I do not like the camo pattern at all. I find most of their stuff is also too heavy.

I was thinking about their newer fleece Vellus jacket but it's just too heavy for me.

KurtR

WKR
I have some of their lite Merino and really like it. Got it cheap in the bargain bin after season that they have

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the einar jacket and I really like it for what it is, a basic softshell jacket. ITs the only kryptek piece iI have though. I have to admit Im not a fain of their camo patterns or their "tactical style" but thats just personal preference. I like pretty much all the other big companies (Kuiu, firstlite, sitka) better than Kryptek.

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
Alios pant. Love the fit and the pocket configuration on them. I've tried on all the Sitka pants wanting to buy them, but I find them not as comfortable.

The girlfriend and I both have the Koldo rain jackets and Aquillo puffy, great coats! I also have the Alios pants, Borealis jacket, and Hoplite 1/4 zip, and all are great pieces that I've had zero issues with. I personally think the Koldo rain jacket is bombproof, not the lightest, but no concerns busting through a brush thicket and coming out unscathed on the other side.

I have a lot of Kryptek stuff and I like it all. Some I use more than others though depending on what I'm doing. My general backpack loadot is merino base, dalibor pants, Helios shirt, Vidar vest , then the lite puffy( can't remember the name off the top of my head) then the einar jacket. I also have the puffy pants I may pack for just an extra lower layer if it's going to get cold for sitting or in camp. They only issue I have had was with the einar jacket. The cuff came undone. I sent a pic to Kryptek and they offered to replace the Einar with a comparable jacket ( which would have been the Dalibor since they don't make the Einar anymore)or offered me 50% off anything I wanted. I opted to get the Cadog set for colder stand hunting but I haven't used it yet. I also just got the Valhalla pants in mandrake and a Helios shirt in mandrake for Nc archery where it's still flipping HOT and spring gobbler. So far I like it a lot. Kind of a funny story though. I ordered just a short sleeve T shirt in mandrake. My plan was just to throw it over my other Helios shirt. Well they sent me a mandrake Helios. I called them up to let them know and told them I was ok with the Helios and offered to pay the difference. The guy at Kryptek said just hold onto the shirt and consider it a gift. He was just glad I called so they could make their quantities in stock correct.
Now for full disclosure I have not used any other high end brand so I can't really compare in that regard.

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been slowly building my Kryptek collection, and I like it a lot so far. Aliaos pants, Sherpy hoody, Vellus jacket/pants. Dalibor jacket will likely be next. Ive busted through some nasty briar patches with the Aliaos pants, and they do snag a little on the thigh, but Ive gone through this same area a few seasons ago and had Carhartt pants that snagged in the same location. The fit is great for my body type (6'4", #230, athletic). Just got the Vellus a few weeks ago and its still way too warm here on the east coast to use it, but its going to be great late season. Only complaint about any of it is I wish the Sherpa hoody had a pocket configuration like the Sitka Fanatic hoody.

KMT

WKR
Their older stuff (first year that cabelas carried it) was pure garbage. Don't know about newer lines. I returned my items and never considered giving them another shot.

dotman

WKR
Their older stuff (first year that cabelas carried it) was pure garbage. Don't know about newer lines. I returned my items and never considered giving them another shot.

I must have gotten lucky, I'm still running first year highlander stuff. The pants had some stitching come apart but kryptek sent me a new item without the old being returned. I stitched them back up and still haven't used the replacement they sent.

I've had zero major issues with kryptek, first light or kuiu. Of the three I prefer first light but they all are good.

Last edited: