Recommend an October jacket

manitou1

WKR
Have base layers, merino and poly. I have the heavy outer wear and an insulated soft shell that deosn't breathe. Recommend a good all round wind resistant but breathable jacket for western hunting... antelope and muleys. Something to maybe cover 30 degrees and up (with/without a base layer).
Thanks!

Kotaman

WKR
I really like the Sitka Jetstream and the Timberline. When a softshell is needed, it is one of these two for me. The Jetstream is just a little heavier/warmer. Both are wind proof, water resistant and breath reasonably well.

OP
manitou1

manitou1

WKR
Thank you.
Anybody else have suggestions? I want to look at several and hopefully make the right choice the first go.

Dameon

WKR
I used the ASAT bow hunters jacket last year to great success. I don't think the quality was any where near as good as my First Lite gear, but it has all the features that I found lacking in the North Branch jacket. It is light enough to pack, warm enough at 30 degrees while moving, has put zips to cool off when it warms up, blocks wind decently well, quiet, and is very affordable if you can find it on sale.

If I had the money, I'd give the Jetstream a shot. The updated Sitka line looks great, just too expensive for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Pedator High Plains Jacket. I've got mine at Hunt of the Day for like $80 and they still run that deal every once in a while.

I got Sitka Jetstream and FL North Branch also. I'd probably rank the Predator High Plains right between the two.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Sitka Timberline jacket sounds like it would fit your needs. I prefer it over the Jetstream because it is lighter and more stretchy. But, the Jetstream is warmer. Timberline is a great jacket.

Like most others on this post I would go the Sitka route, with either the Timberline or Jetstream. I like the Jetstream because of the added warmth. Walking with a baselayer, Jetstream, and a blaze orange vest will me through most of 2nd - 3rd season. If it is unusually warm or cold I of course would make an adjustment. I would stay clear of the Kuiu Guide Jacket. It isn't even close to as windproof as the Sitka jackets, IMO. Love Kuiu's pants though.

OP
manitou1

manitou1

WKR
Thanks for the help folks. Looks like Sitka might be the ticket. Appreciate it.