FL Pant Choice WY October Elk Hunting

I have officially read enough posts about the First Lite pants that I am totally confused or overloaded (not sure which one!). I am running ice breaker merino wool base layer, kuiu puffy pants when I am stationary and am looking for a good quality pant. I have the Jetstreams and the Kuiu Guides but am looking at adding a FL pant. What do you guys suggest? I was sold on the Corrugate guide pants but after researching and reading posts I am leaning towards the Obsidian Merino Pants. I will be utilizing these in September high country deer & elk hunting as well as October high country elk hunting. My activity levels include sitting on horseback in the mornings/evenings and hiking once we arrive at our destination. I am open minded to either pant but am sold on trying out the FL gear. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your input.

MtnManZ

Lil-Rokslider
Obsidians have better breathability, won't stink as much as the guide pants from swalls (sweaty balls), and has better thermoregulation than the guide pants, but they won't be as durable. I would choose the Obsidians. If they get tears/rips, call FL and let them know and they may warranty them.

OP
L
Obsidians have better breathability, won't stink as much as the guide pants from swalls (sweaty balls), and has better thermoregulation than the guide pants, but they won't be as durable. I would choose the Obsidians. If they get tears/rips, call FL and let them know and they may warranty them.

Thank you for the reply! I am going to try out the Obsidians with a Chama and a North Branch jacket. Do the Obsidians fit true or do they run big? I am 6'2", 230 pounds--38 x 36 jean size so I was going to order an XL tall. Thoughts?

Last edited:

MtnManZ

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, they are true to size. The XL tall should be your size. Enjoy!

I am about your size and wear XL tall in guides and kanabs. Not sure about obsidians as I have a couple of pair of kanabs I need to wear out before I would be back in the market.

Sadly, I know very little about Wyoming in October, but I would say, based on my experience, I would rather have the guides over the kanabs in wet or snowy weather. I imagine the obsidians are roughly the same. For me, My kanabs are great pants from 70 down to the 40s. Though they dry fast, I like a DWR and some more wind protection from the 50s down into freezing or below.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about to give my Obsidians a run through the paces, so I can't comment on that side. But out of curiosity, what don't you like about the guide pants? For October/November they are my go to, but I'm not packing in for those hunts... The original kanab can probably fill some of your pant gaps, and may even be able to be had for cheap now that the Obsidians are out.

Good Luck!

N2TRKYS

WKR
Last year I wore my Cabela's brand bdu style 60/40 pants that I normally wear hunting here. I had rather wear a baggier pant, so these fit the bill. It snowed about 10" where we were hunting and these perfomed flawlessly.

OFFHNTN

WKR
The Obsidians's are awesome! I've wore mine on a moose hunt and bear hunt this year and have zero complaints. Light, breath well, no stink, etc.

mntnguide

WKR
I wear corrugates basically no matter what... early season high country muleys to late season elk here in western Wyoming. They are my go to pant period. I have the FL puffy pants and rain pants for layering purposes when it gets cold and wet. Right now there is up to 2 feet of snow and growing in the mountains around here. .I will be packing deep into the wilderness in October to hunt migration bulls, and my corrugates will most likely be my go to for horseback and all else. Unless the temps drop a ton then I will go to full wool pants.. if this weather keeps up its going to be an early winter

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
I hunt WY during the second half of October at about 8000 - 9000 ft and I wear FL Kanabs 75% of the time. Sometimes I wear Kuiu Attack pants if it is warmer. For me, the Kuiu Guide Pants are a little too warm, for my type of hunting where I am moving a good bit.
The Kanabs seem to have a pretty wide temp range. They are not wind proof, but as long as I am moving the Kanabs or Attacks work well for me.

I wear corrugates basically no matter what... early season high country muleys to late season elk here in western Wyoming. They are my go to pant period. I have the FL puffy pants and rain pants for layering purposes when it gets cold and wet. Right now there is up to 2 feet of snow and growing in the mountains around here. .I will be packing deep into the wilderness in October to hunt migration bulls, and my corrugates will most likely be my go to for horseback and all else. Unless the temps drop a ton then I will go to full wool pants.. if this weather keeps up its going to be an early winter

Where in western WY? I have a hunt coming up around Cody and from what I've heard they may of been missed from the big snow storm recently.

mntnguide

WKR
From south entrance Yellowstone all the way down through gros ventre, hoback and greys river/salt river areas... I haven't paid attention to Cody side so I'm unaware

Gotcha. Looks like after this bout of weather it's supposed to go into a high pressure system for a while.

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the reply! I am going to try out the Obsidians with a Chama and a North Branch jacket. Do the Obsidians fit true or do they run big? I am 6'2", 230 pounds--38 x 36 jean size so I was going to order an XL tall. Thoughts?

XL Tall would be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where in western WY? I have a hunt coming up around Cody and from what I've heard they may of been missed from the big snow storm recently.

Nope, we got smashed. Haha. There's A LOT of snow around Cody up high. It was socked in today as well but I think it's supposed to get better. Sure shut the elk down this last weekend from a vocal standpoint.

Nope, we got smashed. Haha. There's A LOT of snow around Cody up high. It was socked in today as well but I think it's supposed to get better. Sure shut the elk down this last weekend from a vocal standpoint.

Yeah, I've been watching the weather and talking to buddies down there. 16"in the mountains. I almost wish it would keep dumping and drive them down, we have some killer migration funnels to hunt. Sounds like the animals are still high though.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I've been watching the weather and talking to buddies down there. 16"in the mountains. I almost wish it would keep dumping and drive them down, we have some killer migration funnels to hunt. Sounds like the animals are still high though.

It's such a strange year for weather. I got a sunburn the first 12 days of September and within a day there's a foot of snow and we'ee socked in for 3 days. But I agree with you, it may as well just keep going and push everything down. Good luck!