Black Ovis Merino

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty good value for merino products with Black Ovis's new merino line. If you are a wool fan its worth checking out.
Hunting Gear and Hunting Supplies at BlackOvis.com

I have the Merino Hoody and really like it. I am 5' 11" 160lbs and the L fits pretty good.

There are some differences from other options, but for the money its hard to beat.

Good explanation of merino ratings can be found here:
More Information About Merino Wool Yarn at Numei Yarn | numei.com

QUOTE:
Grades of Merino Wool
The finest garments and products are made with the highest grades of merino wool. Merino sheep produce wool that is less than 24 microns in diameter. Most wool between 11.5 and 24 microns in fiber diameter are made into clothing. The remainder is used for other textiles like blankets, insulation and furnishings. The finer or lower the number of microns, the softer and more expensive the merino wool.

<17.5 microns - Ultrafine merino
17.6-18.5 microns - Superfine merino
<19.5 microns- Fine merino (also interchangeably called Extra Fine merino)
19.6-20.5 microns - Fine medium merino
20.6-22.5 microns - Medium merino
22.6-<24 microns - Strong merino

These have been up on Camofire as well. My beanie, bottoms and half zip top just came. It's good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
I've been in love with the 230 hoodie. The fit is really nice too. If you don't mind sans thumb holes and camo it's a great alternative to the chama.

i bought the hoodie but returned it. felt it ran small. well at least compared to the chama. i got the bottoms too they are pretty nice

The merino beanie is a favorite of mine. Cheap... a bit of warmth... easy to pack in my pocket until I need it... perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisS

WKR
How is the fit? Do the tops fit loose, or more fitted?
More fitted I think (I only got a t-shirt and boxers). I'm just at/under the cutoff for large/XL and I went with an XL. I think if I had got the large it would have fit like a smedium. The XL on me is snug, but not constricting at all and the length is good.

I'm pretty happy with them considering the cost.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I have only tried the black ovis merino boxers but they run small. I normally wear a large in other brands. The large in these is easily one size too small, possibly 2 sizes.

LostArra

WKR
I like the Black Ovis 230 hoodie. I'm not worried about the dark gray color because it's not an outer layer for me.

My experience with First Light tops has been inconsistent sizing/fit and I'm kind of a standard 5'10" 175# guy. My base layers need no camo and I've been happy with Black Ovis, Minus 33, Smartwool and Icebreaker with both fit and price.