Newbie could use some clothing recommendations...

oguruma

FNG
Hello, new hunter from the Oregon coast; looking for a clothing recommendation.

I am looking to get some better hunting clothes. I will primarily be doing day hunts for deer and elk.

Deer season is all of October, and it's not too cold here yet, but it is wet.

What I have so far, that I plan to use:
USGI Goretex Jacket/pants. I have had nicer, but thinner jackets torn up in the brush here, so I think I will use this until it wears out.

Duluth Dry on the Fly pants. They are okay. Lots of pockets, fully synthetic.

A bunch of merino socks.

What I think I want is below. Does this layering system sound reasonable for a relatively temperate climate? I could also use recommendations for specific pieces.

-Merino boxer briefs
-Merino short sleeve shirt
-Merino/fleece light 1/4 zip (to be used as a base layer or a second layer).
-Light jacket (insulating layer)

Muttly

WKR
Anymore, a couple things that I keep coming back to, regardless of season, I,'ll be wearing a merino t-shirt, a FL Llano, and an FL Chama QZ will either be worn or in the pack when I hit the trail.
Haven't gotten it narrowed down to one pair of pants yet, jackets vary..

motts

Lil-Rokslider
I could also use recommendations for specific pieces.

-Merino boxer briefs
-Merino short sleeve shirt
-Merino/fleece light 1/4 zip (to be used as a base layer or a second layer).
-Light jacket (insulating layer)

Briefs - I prefer Smartwool and you can usually find them on sale. A lot of guys like the First Lite briefs, but I've never used them. S&S Archery and BlackOvis both have a sale on First Lite that starts today or tomorrow if you want to go that route.

T- Shirt - I like Rab Merino blend shirts, but there are other options like Smartwool, Icebreaker, etc. Kuiu tops fit me better than First Lite so I run with them if I want camo.

1/4 Zip - I like to have two different 1/4 zip pieces, one that's a heavier merino I can wear alone as a baselayer or over the t-shirt, and another heavier fleece piece that can go over both the t-shirt and merino 1/4 zip. I'm running a Patagonia or Icebreaker 1/4 zip in solids, or the Kuiu 145 in camo for the merino piece, and either the Sitka Core Heavyweight Hoody or Kuiu Peloton 200 Hoody for the heavier fleece piece. I also have the First Lite Chama Hoody, which does fit me well, for times where the fleece would be too much over everything else. Black Ovis has a similar piece I ordered about three weeks ago which is very reasonably priced and well made. If you want a solid color it would be a good option and I've been very happy with it so far.

Light Jacket - Puffy layer, the Arctery'x Atom LT, First Lite Uncompahgre, and Sitka Kelvin Lite would all be good choices. The Atom Lt and Kelvin Lite will be the most breathable of the three mentioned. The Kuiu Kenai is also a very breathable synthetic puffy - very quiet compared to the others - but offers very little in the way of wind resistance.

After that stuff the only other thing you might want to grab is a pair of merino long underwear bottoms, maybe a merino neck gaiter, and you're probably pretty well set. I'm assuming you already have hats, gloves, etc - I just use whatever fits the bill for that day when it comes to those.

Muttly

WKR
Gonna throw in what may seem like an odd suggestion... Start with one piece of gear, and run with that as much as possible, find out if it's working for you, rather than rounding up a whole system at once. Thing I like about the merino stuff is that it seems to be pretty good at temperature regulating, may feel a little cooler initially, but I don't over heat.
I tend to run hot unless I,m sitting still. Synthetics start out feeling real comfy, usually within about twenty minutes they're gettin too damn hot..
If you run cold or are going to be mostly stationary, might be just the ticket.