Best merino brand for the money

TauPhi111

WKR
Hi everyone.

I used to be an Under Armour compression/cold gear guy until I discovered merino base layers last year. Now I'll probably never buy UA base layers for hunting ever again after my current ones wear out.

My only experience with merino base layers is the Ice Breaker top I bought. I absolutely love it and would buy from them again. I'm just wondering what everyone's opinion is on brands of merino base layers and clothing and what people think is the best for the money spent.

Thanks!

Twigg

FNG
On Camofire.com they consistently have the Black Orvis tops and bottom for around $35 each piece. They get real good reviews. I have three tops that I love. So for the money you cant go wrong.

Gorp2007

WKR
I've had some Minus33, Smartwool, and First Lite baselayers and for the shirts and tights I really like my First Lite the most. The weave on the FL is just a little bit softer than my Smartwool and feels more comfortable against my skin. For underwear, I like the FL Red Desert boxer briefs and my Smartwool 150s. I'd probably go Smartwool on boxer briefs because the FL go all the way down to my knees (size M and I'm 6' tall) and I can't really wear them with shorts.

I only have Black Ovis and First Lite merino. The Black Ovis is about half the price, but they aren't as comfortable as the FL. I wouldn't say its uncomfortable but its noticeably different from the feel of FL. Make sure you know what you're getting when you buy "merino".

Some are 100% and others are blends with poly and other stuff. I only want 100% for scent preferences.

Murdy

WKR
I just cherry-pick whatever I can find on sale. I have FL, Smartwool, Minus 33, Icebreaker, Core4, maybe something else. I'd give Smartwool the nod, and the one Minus 33 piece I have is good. FL seems good, though I've had a couple things wear out.

twall13

WKR
I've only used a few brands but for me Minus33 is the most comfortable with First Lite being a close second and having nicer features like thumb holes, etc. The icebreaker stuff I have isn't quite as comfortable to me though it isn't bad.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Black ovis is the best for the money. Icebreaker is the best quality. I also love first Lite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishslap

WKR
I've used smart wool for a long time and recently first lite. Smart wool is of much better quality IMO. I've picked up some good pieces on sale at REI online. I haven't used the other brands mentioned but thought I'd share my opinion on the two I have used.

EZDoesit

FNG
I picked up a top and bottom from Pnuma awhile back. Can't say I've given it any extensive testing yet, but very comfy and seems to be well constructed. 100% merino. 190 gram. Camo or solid.

Agross

WKR
I have icebreaker, first lite, core4, black Ovis , and minus33. I would say my favorite are my minus33 followed by first lite . Can't believe how much you can wear this stuff and it still doesn't stink. I wish I would have made the switch a lot sooner.

topher89

WKR
Of all my wool products, I like First Lite the best. But, if money is a consideration, you can find Smartwool on sale more consistently. My baselayer pants are Smartwool and I picked them up on sale after the holiday season.

First Lite has a sale right now, if I was spending money today, that is where I would go.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
FL seems to be the softest and most comfortable I've used FWIW. Not cheap but has been worth it so far.

Wrongside

WKR
I've owned a few different brands of merino, but only buy the $20.00 CAD 100% Costco tops anymore.

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
I use a combo of minus33 and KUIU. Both great.
In the market for a lighter weight pair of bottoms and will likely look to minus33. I may have to look into the Black Ovis mentioned above too.

JNDEER

WKR
of core4, FL, smartwool and KUIU I prefer KUIU. I usually buy when discounted. core4 shrunk bad, FL had major hole issues over one season smartwool I ripped putting it on. I have heard FL has fixed the hole issues and there new garments are stronger, but I have just stuck with KUIU. Smartwool I believe also made theres stronger, from what I have read. I do love smartwool briefs though.

Dobermann

WKR
I was an early adopter of Icebreaker, 20+ years ago. In my experience, their quality and longevity have gone downhill badly since their early days. I now only buy it on super-special, and don't expect it to last ... have had much better luck with First Lite.