Warmth - Uncompahgre vs Superdown

bounds

WKR
I'm searching for a warmer puffy jacket. I've got one of the original superdown hoodies, and though it has worked pretty well for me, it still leaves me wanting a little more warmth. I'm also planning to start using my puffy as my outer layer in colder temps, and want something a little more durable.

I've mostly been looking at the Uncompahgre and the Lost Park, but with the thought of it being on and off a lot throughout the day, I'm not sure I want the pullover, even though I know it's the warmest option.

For those of you who have used the Superdown and Uncompahgre, how would you compare the warmth? From what I've read, I've got it in my head that they're pretty similar warmth wise, with the Uncompahgre being more durable for outer layer use and it being synthetic.

And if you used the Uncompahgre and Lost Park, how do you feel about the pullover?

Stid2677

WKR
I own all 3,, they are very different jackets. I would rate them on warmth only as SD, Uncompahgre, with Lost Parka the warmest. The down packs the smallest and is the least warm of the 3,, the zipper on the Uncompahgre,, gets the material stuck in it often. The Lost Parka is the warmest ans most durable,, and the front hand muff is very usable, not the biggest fan of the pullover and it packs up the largest of the 3.

Steve

I was highly disappointed in the warmth of the the first lite, I was just using it alone without the firstlite "system" so that might have something to do with it
the lost park warms me up the instant I put it on, but I don't see myself being very active in the lost park unless in some really cold weather, so for me the durability aspect of the lost park is unneeded since I will mostly be wearing it sitting still or in camp and stowing it when I am on the move. I also don't care for the pullover style of the lost park, if you have broad shoulders taking it on and off can be awkward and the venting ability of a full zip would actually be useful for once in this puffy.

If you wanted a puffy for when the shiz hits the fan and you need to warm up fast get the lost park hands down, but I think the first lite ( or other brand name puffy) could be much more versatile.

I just got a kelvin lite hoody for just all around hunting, and already feel like it offered more warmth than the first lite I tried. your mileage may vary.

OP
B

bounds

WKR
Thanks guys. I lean heavily to the cold side of the spectrum, so that's been the biggest appeal for me of the First Lite or Kifaru; the heavier insulation than other synthetic puffys in the hunting market. I also have an older model Sitka Kelvin, it's supposed to be 133 grams of primaloft, but I'm always wanting a little more when I sit still for very long with it.

They don't make the kelvin in a hoody and I feel the others will just be too light for me.

I see a lot of people talking about the bulk of the Lost Park when packed. At probably 6-7oz lighter than my Kelvin, I can't imagine it's very big. Obviously bigger than the SD, but can't be bad. Sure wish they made it in a full zip. I think that would make my decision a lot easier.

Kind of like pack size for me. I'd rather have too much room and not need it, than not enough room and be scrambling to make things work. I think for a small weight and packable size penalty, the warmth of the Lost Park may be what I'm after. That's the top priority in a puffy for me. And being cold natured, I probably wear mine moving around more than most people, so the durability comes into play as well.

ericF

WKR
I'm not sure when/if they are bringing it to the market, but Kuiu has the Super Down Pro that quite a few of us got in the Giru promotion. It has double the fill of the superdown and an upgraded exterior with some dwr and is designed to be worn as an outer layer. You might even be able to find one for sale from the first run, but they aren't on Kuius site at all and no telling when it will show up.

Beendare

WKR
The warmest puffy I've seen by far is the UA version.

Also, REI makes a good one that is very quiet $100...probably my #1 pick if I was buying one now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the Uncompaghre and a LPP, in fact, I ordered a 2nd LPP because I think my first one is too big (so if anybody wants a 2xl....just saying). I like the uncompagre for its pacability and Ive found it to be warm enough so far even though it hasnt gotten too cold yet, the LPP though is just on another level of warmth and durability, you are right that the LPP wont pack down as well as the others but it is absolutely warmer and more durable.

OP
B

bounds

WKR
I'm not sure when/if they are bringing it to the market, but Kuiu has the Super Down Pro that quite a few of us got in the Giru promotion. It has double the fill of the superdown and an upgraded exterior with some dwr and is designed to be worn as an outer layer. You might even be able to find one for sale from the first run, but they aren't on Kuius site at all and no telling when it will show up.

Yeah I've been following this one. Sounds great, but it's also going to be about $400 from what I've seen. That's not in my paygrade at this point.

Sure they do. I have one with a hoody and one without. Watch the video. Sitka Gear | Turning Clothing Into Gear

Sorry Bruce. Should have clarified. They don't make the 170 gram primaloft Kelvin in a hoody. Something in the 120+ gram range with a hood would be awesome. I know you can get the lite, which isn't warm enough for my skinny/cold-natured self and the Kelvin Down which I know is plenty warm but is also plenty heavy. I've actually considered the women's hooded version with windstopper, but I just can't justify $300+ for a puffy that's pretty heavy.

sndmn11

WKR
I have had the Uncompaghre for two years or so, and regularly fly fish with just it and a med weight merino underneath in the winter time in temps down to single digits. I am one of those that gets very cold easily as well.

Daniel_M

WKR
In the world of $350 down jackets, I'll plug one for MyTrailCo (formerly GoLite). I've been running their hooded jacket for almost year now over several hunts from Kodiak to the Alaska Range. Structurally, no failures with either the seams or zippers. Warmth to Weight - I was just fine down into the low 30's glassing (but that's me).

I will say the DWR finish is lacking, perhaps I've exhausted it even with a wash/revival. It's not a rain jacket, it's an insulator and should be treated and protected as such. Any chance of precip, my outer shell goes on or the puffy hits a dry bag.

For $119, I think its well worth a test run.

MTC Down

I've owned, used, and sold both. The Kuiu Superdown I used for a year and was a huge fan of everything except the goofy camo pattern. (Not a fanboy) In my opinion they killed it with building a down jacket for exactly what you should be using a down jacket for which is stationary insulation that is both light and very compressible. It was super light, no unnecessary bulk, and had just the right amount of stretch. Had I been smarter and purchased one in a solid color from the start instead of salsa verde I would still own one.. but I sold it and decided to give the Uncompahgre a try because I loved all of the other Firstlite gear I've ever owned.

I went with a solid color for the Unc. and was surprisingly not in love with it from the start. I will say from a construction and durability standpoint it seemed amazing and likely to blow the Kuiu puffy out of the water. What I couldn't get behind was the weight (almost double the super down hoody) and the bulk when packed (again almost double) as well as a much boxier and less form fitting cut to the jacket. It seemed warm enough although I never got to test it in below freezing temps which I did plenty of in the super down hoody with a base layer underneath. I love all the other Firstlite gear I own (almost a fanboy) because it it light, durable, and functional as hell in my opinion.

My only gripe is that Firstlite built the Uncompahgre to be something that I don't look for in a puffy jacket. It's a full synthetic that is built for the hunt and durable enough to stalk game in for sure. The problem is that I value high quality down over synthetic insulation any day of the week because to me the benefits outweigh the cost with the caveat that you obviously need to keep your down dry.

I also don't ever see myself trying to stalk game, or shoot my bow while wearing a puffy. I use it when I'm doing low output activities (glassing or around camp) and otherwise it's compressed and in my pack which is why down is king in my opinion.

I've since sold both jackets and moved back to an ultralight 850+ fill down puffy from another manufacturer so all is good once again. If Firstlite ever decides to build another puffy with down insulation I'll be the first to buy it.

mtnkid85

WKR
I have yet to find a "hunting" puffy that even comes close to matching either of my two Feathered friends jackets. I have both the non hooded hyperion and the hooded helios from FF.
If you can get over not having camo and you don't plan to wear it all day going through brush then I highly recommend them, compare there fill weight-garment weight to the other offerings.

Absolutely love them, warm and light!

You can by a lands end primaloft puffer for about $40 on ebay right now. 100 grams of primaloft silver. Depending on your size, i saw one last week that was $12 NWT. Just saying. FWIW, I bought one and they are light, compressible, and very much worth the $ I invested. Not as good as the Cheapo Hell's Canyon one I bought last year but, worth every dime. God Bless

jherald

WKR
Superdown is lacking in fill weight. It's fine for August and could squeak you into early September but you need a real jacket for anything later than that.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Superdown is lacking in fill weight. It's fine for August and could squeak you into early September but you need a real jacket for anything later than that.

That was my thoughts when I tried out a friends. I actually find their kenai warmer, just throw on the rain shell if windy.