Best rain gear for hunting

Lheise88

FNG
I'm sure it's been asked. I've searched and can't decide. I have all first lite with the exception of my Sitka gloves. I wouldn't be opposed to wearing any brand. I'm mostly a whitetail hunter but take trips out west a lot. Anything stand out above the rest? I know the stuff isn't cheap but I'm sure it's like anything else. You get what you pay for. Just don't want to overpay for something that's comparable to a cheaper option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whitetail rain gear and western rain gear are typically very different as whitetail hunting doesn't typically require much breathability. Even in western hunting the requirements can vary a fair bit from the type of hunt to the location, for example a new Mexico elk hunt wouldn't likely need heavy rain protection but a wet side of Washington probably would. Can you give us any more specifics?

Live2hunt custom shelters

OP
L

Lheise88

FNG
I'm kind of up in the air over the first lite and the kuiu. I really don't think I'll use the rain gear much at all. Maybe a few times in the treestand. Out west I will mainly be in Wyoming and Montana. But if I need it I don't want to be wet. I was looking at the cheaper kuiu Teton line of rain gear as well. Never owning rain gear before I guess my biggest thing is, is will the cheaper lines get soaked eventually? If you get rained on for a hour or more will you be wet underneath? That's what I don't want. From my understanding you pay more for the breathability and the weight.

Felix40

WKR
I can tell you for a fact that if you are walking through wet brush or willows The chugach pants will soak through. If youre just standing in the rain then the chugach is great.

Owenst7

WKR
I'm kind of up in the air over the first lite and the kuiu. I really don't think I'll use the rain gear much at all. Maybe a few times in the treestand. Out west I will mainly be in Wyoming and Montana. But if I need it I don't want to be wet. I was looking at the cheaper kuiu Teton line of rain gear as well. Never owning rain gear before I guess my biggest thing is, is will the cheaper lines get soaked eventually? If you get rained on for a hour or more will you be wet underneath? That's what I don't want. From my understanding you pay more for the breathability and the weight.

When it comes to semi-permeable membranes, there are basically three types of membrane. They are all some form of PTFE coating underneath the outer layer of fabric. They have some minor differences, but all operate on roughly the same mechanism. Frogg Toggs are somewhat of a different animal also, but their construction method is a small part of the market in comparison.

Most "breathable" rain gear is either nylon or polyester on the surface to give tensile strength and abrasion resistance to the PTFE membrane. Neither of these materials are waterproof on their own when woven, so a DWR is applied to the textile to encourage water to bead up and roll off. DWR is not permanent, and is eventually reduced through abrasion, dirt, UV, washing, etc. Some DWR coatings are better than others, and many people find the need to reapply DWR (such as Nikwax) during the lifetime of the garment. DWR does not make the garment waterproof, it simply avoids "wetting-out", where the outside textile above the PTFE membrane absorbs water and becomes heavy and cold with water. This does not result in you getting wet inside the garment unless the seam taping is poorly done or the PTFE membrane has failed mechanically.

Polyester does not absorb water like nylon and therefore is not as reliant on DWR to prevent wetting out.

Any quality rain gear will list the hydrostatic head (in mm of water column) and breathability (usually in grams/square meter/24 hours). Most higher end garments will be a minimum of 10,000mm/10,000g. In reality, even 3,000mm (118 inches) of water column is more than a jacket would ever be subjected to, but you don't typically see that low of a rating on a quality garment...probably simply due to marketing. The less waterproof the membrane is, the more breathable it will inherently be without adding a ton of complexity. Personally, I find mechanical ventilation to be far superior to any osmosis through a membrane, so I prefer a garment with functional vents like armpits (my favorite jackets have chest vents across the pecs and a vent behind the armpit) or between the shoulders, and a baggy fit. A waistline cinch that allows you to open the bottom when you're standing upright will vent 1000x more moisture in seconds than a PTFE membrane will do in an entire day.

Another thing to look for on quality rain gear is how the seams are taped. Most garments are sewn together at the seams (some really good gear like the Burton AK series are welded seams), and the stitching is a point of water intrusion. Cheaper garments will only have "critically taped seams", such as the shoulders. Higher end garments will list "fully taped seams" and all the sewn areas will be taped. If you look at the garment from the inside out, you can typically see the taping, and how neatly it was done. Sometimes you'll find that the taping was done with wrinkles and tag ends that are sloppy and won't last or hold water.

It doesn't cost a lot to make a good watertight garment, but it does take some good design. I noticed last year that Costco was selling a packable rain shell made from a polyester/spandex blend with welded seams. Because it needs no taping, and the hydrophillic properties of polyester reduce the need for DWR, you've got just about the lightest weight rain gear you can get without sacrificing durability or zippers. I haven't seen it back in stores this season, so I'm kind of bummed I didn't pick one up to check it out.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Im playing with a few different set ups right now but havnt really been able to put them to much of a test as lately the rain has all been while Im at work.

I ended up getting the KUIU Yukon as well as the first lite SEAK and so far I like the first lite a bit better, but Ill wait to make the final decision until I get more time with each one.

Sitka Dewpoint is the best I have tried and I have tried most. Most packable too, not a sweatsuit like most.

Say what you will about Kuiu but their rain gear is very good. The pit zips are a nice feature and you stay dry. The Ultra is on sale right now. Good luck with your decision.

Rwbrew3

WKR
I just spent 10days in idaho, i was in a few heavy rains storms and was in the kuiu chugach, i stayed dry as can be, however, they are somewhat loud ( swishy ) which I didn’t care for but they did there job and i stayed dry. These are great if your just sitting !!

It's just my opinion, and I know that some of you will disagree, but most of you that say that your raingear is "soaking through" are really just the victim of your bodies natural perspiration being trapped inside a "breathable" jacket/pants. If you want to find out if your raingear is leaking, put it on and get in the shower.

I bought the kuiu Yukon because of reviews and it was on clearance. Spent 11 days in it in Alaska. Wore it every single day. Our transporter happened to be wearing it as well.

I used this as rain gear and an uninsulated soft shell to block wind. It isn't silent like fleece, but it will be on every hunt I go on from here on out. If using it just for rain, and you already have a soft shell, you can get by with the Chugiak or even Teton.

KHNC

WKR
I spent 7 days in the idaho shit storms two weeks ago. My browning speed Rain Slayer gear worked like a champ! jacket has pit vents and mobility is great as well. Glad i finally put out the money for it!

OP
L

Lheise88

FNG
I decided to go with the First lite. It’s on its way so we’ll see how it does!

I decided to go with the First lite. It’s on its way so we’ll see how it does!

Good call. I was going to try and warn you about going the KUIU Teton route. The positives: it's lightweight, and breathable. The negatives are that it is not built to bust through brush. It kept me mostly dry but I did punch a few holes and tears during a saturated week in the Idaho backcountry.