Moisture wicking, merino or synthetic

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, I am looking to see what everyone's opinions are on the moisture wicking properties of merino vs synthetic. I know synthetics it pretty broad so if anyone has insight on the best synthetic fabric for moisture wicking I appreciate it.

I understand merino has moisture wicking properties however can take longer to dry vs synthetic and the trade off is that it also has the ability to stay rather scent free. I believe no matter what you will always smell like a human so being dry and comfortable is more important to me.

I run pretty hot as is and will start to sweat when I'm moving no matter how cold, then having that moisture against my body sucks when I finally stop.

What do you guys feel keeps you the driest when exerting yourself or dries quickly making it more comfortable sooner if that makes sense.

I am converting over my whitetail gear that is primarily focused on warmth for sitting long periods to western gear as I am moving from NJ to NM and am trying to prepare for a completely different style of hunting

I appreciate all advise and opinions, thank you

The debate continues.

I think scientifically speaking, poly will wick faster. But it's not for everyone. Unless it's hot out I personally prefer meriono. But others prefer synthetics.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
Generally speaking, if two garments are of a similar weight and weave, the poly will wick faster. However, I find merino to be more comfortable next-to-skin when I'm out and about no matter the temperature out. I've been out hiking or shooting prairie dogs when it was 90 degrees in a merino t-shirt and Smartwool 150 boxers and those feel more comfortable to me. Once my Under Armour or similar poly underwear get sweaty, my nether regions are never going to stop feeling clammy and gross. Additionally, I can definitely tell a difference between smelling like a sweaty human (merino) and smelling like a human with crotch stank (extended use of UA).

As always, your mileage may vary and no single system will work for every hunter.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Honest truth, you'll need to try out both for yourself and see what works best for you.

I have both. Both have their places for what I do. I lean towards merino most times. Especially in a really dry heat, or any time I've got an extended hunt. Merino will dry quick enough in the NM weather. Really humid or extremely damp weather, synthetic may be better. But omg, you going to smell if you live in it for a week. If I sweat in synthetic for a combine of 24 hours, that's about the point I can't even stand myself smelling. Short trips or trips where you can swap out a shirt now and then, synthetic is really great. It drys almost instantly.

Merino poly blend......Costco sells the Paradox long sleeve zip neck tees and long underwear. Cheap and beats either straight merino hands down or poly. I can wear it for about 4-6 days without getting stunk out, depending on conditions.

Akicita

WKR
Generally speaking, if two garments are of a similar weight and weave, the poly will wick faster. However, I find merino to be more comfortable next-to-skin when I'm out and about no matter the temperature out. I've been out hiking or shooting prairie dogs when it was 90 degrees in a merino t-shirt and Smartwool 150 boxers and those feel more comfortable to me. Once my Under Armour or similar poly underwear get sweaty, my nether regions are never going to stop feeling clammy and gross. Additionally, I can definitely tell a difference between smelling like a sweaty human (merino) and smelling like a human with crotch stank (extended use of UA).

I agree with all of this^^^^

I like the longevity and the durability of my synthetics but My Merino base layers are used a great majority of the time. I make my living outdoors in all seasons and weather and prefer the comfort and moisture management of my Merino gear. I also will add I have less Merino products than synthetic because is does not require me to change them out every day. I can go a couple of days with merino socks and base layers without the odors of synthetics. This does offset cost some as you can get a way with fewer however they will not last as long as synthetic.