Nylon vs Leather Belt

treillw

WKR
Which belt material do you prefer and why? I'm sure that the both have advantages and disadvantages. I have always used leather belts and am thinking about getting a nylon one.

I will be putting a 4 pound revolver on this belt. (yes, I know chest holsters exist :eek:)

Thanks!

Owenst7

WKR
Leather for CCW because it doesn't twist or stretch. I've been wearing an Alien Gear steel-lined belt for a few years and have nothing but excellent things to say about it.

Webbing for backpacking because of the thinner profile and it has enough flexibility to form to my hips better. I find this more comfortable underneath the hip belt of my backpack.

I've never seen a webbing belt that could outperform a good leather belt for carrying a pistol. If the webbing were similar in stiffness to leather, I don't think it would work well with a friction-type buckle. I don't think webbing would be as durable with a pin style buckle. If you added eyelets or something to make it handle the pin better, I think you'd end up being much heavier than leather.

I also find leather more comfortable in terms of breathability/wicking, temperature, and feel against the skin.

fishslap

WKR
Nylon for general hiking/hunting. Bison Designs is the way to go. I have a small thin one for non carry and a thicker wider one for carrying a ruger Blackhawk 41mag, although I rarely carry it. They make good xmas gift ideas for your family. Get two different designs and see what works.

Edit: Forgot to answer the question. I like the small adjustments I can do with nylon. Most leather belts use holes or will slip if it has a slide type buckle. The small thin belt is way better with a pack like already mentioned.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I much prefer a leather belt whether I'm carrying a backpack or not. To me I get more support from them than a nylon belt. I haven't found any situation for me to ever wear a nylon belt.

Hmmm.

I will say I am partial to low profile nylon when hiking or backpacking and weight on the belt is not an issue.

When strapping up, I like something more stiff like a riggers belts by Soe or a reninforced belt like the tyr tactical gunfighter belt. Soe also makes a kydex reinforced carry belt.

I still love leather but I think modern technology has surpassed it for out door pursuits. About the only thing leather has over nylon in the backpacking belt department, besides nostalgia is that you could theoretically eat it in a pinch.

If you want leather belt cool with a modern twist, check out the biothane offerings from companies like first spear. Or go hybrid with a magpul Tejas belt. It is leather backed by biothane or a similar polymer. Both give you a leather look without the drawbacks. I know my tejas carries a 629 fairly well.

I'm surprised by some of these responses. Have y'all tried a good quality nylon gun belt. I ha e a brown coat tactical that has been great. I like it because it doesn't stretch or twist. I've been wearing it for two years and it is still as stiff as when I got it new. I really like how your not limited to the belt holes for adjustment. Mine has a raptor buckle and uses Velcro to adjust the tightness. You always get the perfect tightness no matter what pants or gun your carrying. I do prefer a smaller profile belt buckle though for when it will be underneath by pack belt buckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I use both. I have a Simms nylon belt and a Filson leather belt. I also carry concealed 100% of the time..... call me crazy but I don't see any difference between them in functionality. I mostly wear what looks better with the days clothing.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Nylon for lower profile and lighter weight. For me, the work under pack suspension better. They are thinner and the waist belt of the pack doesn't interfere with the belt on my pants. My nylon belt is also much lighter than my leather belt.

Leather for CC or OC any pistol. From a G43 to a GP100. CC needs a stiffer belt to keep the IWB bolster in place. And holding up a big revolver needs a ridged belt. With an internal stiffener makes it even better. thebeltman.net is what I've been using for years.

Rokwiia

WKR
In the outdoors, at least where I live, you're always contending with moisture whether it be from rain, humidity, or sweat. I prefer to wear and use man-made materials as they tend to dry more quickly.

I have both a nylon and leather belt. The leather belt has been worn once, when I tried it on the day I bought it.