Sitka Jetstream vs Kuiu Guide DCS

marktole

WKR
Was just wondering if anyone has any experience using both? I'm wondering specifically about the wind stopping capability of the guide jacket vs the Jetstream.

I have the Jetstream and love it, my only complaint is that it's a little short around the torso. It stops wind really well, but I may switch to the guide if it stops wind equally well since it has a longer torso length.

Thanks for any input!

ianpadron

WKR
The Guide is not windproof, it has no laminate so a atrong wind cuts through. It is however incredibly breathable.I've grown to like mine for specific situations, like high output late season days.

I have a Sitka Timberline because it is cut longer than the jerstream, still windproof, and much more packable. I'd go that route if I were you!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

The Guide is not windproof, it has no laminate so a atrong wind cuts through. It is however incredibly breathable.I've grown to like mine for specific situations, like high output late season days.

I have a Sitka Timberline because it is cut longer than the jerstream, still windproof, and much more packable. I'd go that route if I were you!

I would agree as I relates to the guide vs jet stream. Guide is lighter and more breathable but the jet stream is more jacket in nearly every other way. Features, wind and waterproofness, etc. in fairness, it also costs quilts a bit more. Both are great and have their roles but the jet stream is the warmer and more weather resistant of the two. I haven't done a side by side on fit but the kuiu is slim. If memory serves me, I sent the 2xl back to get the 3xl. I am usually good in 2xl and sometimes XL but the kuiu sizing is different than others in my experience.

wildcat33

WKR
Ive had both, sold the Kuiu. I thought the jetstream had better features and I like the material better. If memory serves the guide didnt have pit zips, which is a must for me. Neither are waterproof (but both do an admirable job in light rain if kept treated with DWR/techwash). The kuiu wont cut the wind like the sitka. I thought the jetstream was too slim and too short, so i exchanged it for a size up, which has been perfect; large enough to layer under. The guide also fit slim, mostly in the arms, so I would size up in that too.

ianpadron

WKR
Ive had both, sold the Kuiu. I thought the jetstream had better features and I like the material better. If memory serves the guide didnt have pit zips, which is a must for me. Neither are waterproof (but both do an admirable job in light rain if kept treated with DWR/techwash). The kuiu wont cut the wind like the sitka. I thought the jetstream was too slim and too short, so i exchanged it for a size up, which has been perfect; large enough to layer under. The guide also fit slim, mostly in the arms, so I would size up in that too.
The guide jacket has pit zips, and the same pocket configuration as the jetstream. Maybe you had the older version??

wildcat33

WKR
The guide jacket has pit zips, and the same pocket configuration as the jetstream. Maybe you had the older version??

Possible. It was a while ago. They are so similar it comes down to personal preference... and budget. I'd be fine with either really. The Guide goes cheap if you hit the sales right. I think I sold mine for around a 100 bucks, so quite a bit cheaper than the sitka.

stevevan

WKR
Not wanting to steal the thread but I have a related question. Timberline fit vs. Guide. I tried the Guide but it was just too "athletic" fit for me. How's the Timberline? Still real "athletic" or does Sitka put a little more room in the Timberline for better layering?

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
Thank you to everyone for all the input, answered my question! Hope others get some helpful info from it as well.

ianpadron

WKR
Not wanting to steal the thread but I have a related question. Timberline fit vs. Guide. I tried the Guide but it was just too "athletic" fit for me. How's the Timberline? Still real "athletic" or does Sitka put a little more room in the Timberline for better layering?
Timberline has more room in the body for sure. It is also significantly shorter in both the sleeves and torso.

I have both, wear neither. Now use a Timberline jacket. More packable, lighter and versatile...blocks wind better. My build is anything but athletic but one day when they make beer drinking a sport that may change. LOL

I have used both and like both for different reasons. However, all around I thought the Jetstream was a warmer jacket and probably due to the windstopper. Both are good jackets tho.

I know you didn't ask about this jacket, but I will agree with the others that the Timberline is my only soft shell piece that I have kept and still wear. I got rid of the Jetstream after trying the timberline, it was way more bulky and had been relegated to a truck jacket. I find myself wearing the Timberline a lot with just a core light weight base layer and using the zipper to dump heat. Then I carry the traverse zip t and a puffy as my 2 additional mid and puffy layers. Works really well for me.