Breathable waders for duck hunting? HELP

MAXLWIE

FNG
What are the best breathable, bootfoot waders for duck hunting? I am looking for tough, high quality waders (preferably not made in China) that will last me many seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
Simms is the best, but they are darn proud of their waders and you'll pay for it. For someone that uses them frequently, the consensus is that the price is worth it. They don't come in camo, but if you hunt out of a blind it shouldn't matter much. Also, check out USIA. Not breathable, but tough and more flexible than neoprene.

jherald

WKR
Simms is the best boot foot breathable wader you'll find. The waders are all darker colors and I've never had an issue duck hunting with them whether it was durability or the color spooking birds.

colonel00

WKR
How cold? Not hating on Simms but do they make insulated waders? Personally, I love my waders from Cabela's. I don't know where they are made but they are warm and comfortable. The 5mm neoprene and insulated boots make even sub-freezing hunts pleasurable. I typically just wear regular socks and fleece wader pants and I'm warm well below freezing.

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

I've had Cabela's breathable's in the past. I used them for 3 or 4 seasons of pretty heavy use in the saltwater. Only thing I didn't like about them was the shoulder straps seemed like they were not connected to the wader body well. I never tore them out but was always conscious of not pulling on them too hard. I had the zip fronts with 600 gram boots. I don't believe they make them anymore. They developed a leak in the crotch last season so I had to get a new pair. When I saw they didn't make that model anymore, and because I moved north, I bought a set of Supermags next.

This spring fishing out of neoprenes was miserable so I decided to get another pair of breathables. I looked at Simms, Patagonia and LL Beans. For the price, I ended up with the beans. They are zip the front Kennebecks. I've used them a good bit so far and I like them. They are more of a fishing wader but I will hunt out of them as well. LL bean makes a camo boot foot breathable wader that if I was in your shoes wouldn't hesitate to try. I will say the quality isn't on par with the Patagonias I've had in the past, and I'm sure they aren't close to Simms either, but at double the price for what I wanted I couldn't justify spending the extra money.

Warranty is big issue and I will say I've dealt with Cabela's warranty as well as Patagonia. Both were outstanding. I hope I don't have to use LL Beans warranty but from what I understand they are great to deal with as well. Good luck in your search.

Adam

FlyGuy

WKR
Simms are great. I caught some orvis waders on sale though and went that route. I use them for fly fishing and for early teal. I don't think they are tough enough for duck season though. At least not the way that I hunt.

I switched over to banded a couple years ago and I couldn't be happier. Their non-insulated waders are lights-out. No matter how cold it got, neoprene would leave me a sweaty mess, but these breathe very well. Highly recommend. The only downside - they are probably the most expensive waders on the market today.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
M

MAXLWIE

FNG
Simms are great. I caught some orvis waders on sale though and went that route. I use them for fly fishing and for early teal. I don't think they are tough enough for duck season though. At least not the way that I hunt.

I switched over to banded a couple years ago and I couldn't be happier. Their non-insulated waders are lights-out. No matter how cold it got, neoprene would leave me a sweaty mess, but these breathe very well. Highly recommend. The only downside - they are probably the most expensive waders on the market today.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help. I have looked at the banded redzone. Are those the ones you have? How is their policy?

Max

92xj

WKR
Llbean
No questions asked warranty for life for the original buyer.
No one out there makes a breathable as durable as neoprenes, so don't get pissed when they don't hold up to the standards of neoprene. It's all a matter of what company is going to stand behind something they sold you that you broke. Bean is the best in the world for customer service. One of the very few things to buy based off customer service because, we as duck hunters, know any water in the world is going to fail.

colersu22

WKR
I have always used neoprene waders but was thinking of making the switch to breathable waders because the neoprene gets to hot when fly fishing. My buddy has been using his Simms for the past 3 years for everything, when it comes time for waterfowl he just throws a cheap pair of drake camo pants over the Simms for concealment and that's the route I was thinking of going.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
My crew now uses the LLBeans and Cabelas Instinct after getting tired of buying a new pair of Lacrosse every year.

Both brands have held up great for the first year, and if they fail in the future, we can rely on the warranty.

duchntr

WKR
Simms g3's or take a look at Patagonias wader line. Patagonia has a really good warranty and repair facility, much better than Simms imo, but they are not made in America.

colonel00

WKR
For all of you wearing Simms or other "fishing" waders, how are you staying warm? I guess maybe you are hunting a different climate than I do.

Trial153

WKR
I fly fish for steelhead though out the winter, and I stay way warmer in breathable simms then I ever did in heavy neoprene.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

For all of you wearing Simms or other "fishing" waders, how are you staying warm? I guess maybe you are hunting a different climate than I do.

Fleece wader pants. If it’s real cold it’s 1400 gram booted Mack’s neo’s. Your feet get cold first so more insulation in the feet the better

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, I got to put my hands on the Sitka breathable booted waders at the sportsman's show and I was really impressed by them. 4-Layer construction and Lacrosse boots. . . I'm really interested in trying them!

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
The Simms bootfoots are the best I've worn. Layer up with a baselayer and fleece pants and you'll be toasty.

For a walk-in duck hunter like myself breathable waders are a must. I have some very inexpensive breathable rainpants I wear over my Simms waders while hunting. They're camo, which is great, but they also help extend the life of the waders.