Which Pants to Purchase???

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
Hi. I'm looking for my first pair of "nice" hunting pants. I'm 5'9" 165 lbs 32" waist with an athletic build. I have a hard time finding pants that fit me because I have large thighs and butt from running/lifting. I have tried the Sitka Ascent and 90% pants and they are much too tight/slim in the thigh/butt area. Do you have any suggestions for a pant that might fit me better and have a looser fit - Kuiu, FirstLite, etc? The pants are for a late October Colorado elk hunt. I like a "thicker" pant, but have merino bottoms to layer if necessary. I have about $100 to spend, so I may be forced to find a used pair on the Classified Forums. Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Hi. I'm looking for my first pair of "nice" hunting pants. I'm 5'9" 165 lbs 32" waist with an athletic build. I have a hard time finding pants that fit me because I have large thighs and butt from running/lifting. I have tried the Sitka Ascent and 90% pants and they are much too tight/slim in the thigh/butt area. Do you have any suggestions for a pant that might fit me better and have a looser fit - Kuiu, FirstLite, etc? The pants are for a late October Colorado elk hunt. I like a "thicker" pant, but have merino bottoms to layer if necessary. I have about $100 to spend, so I may be forced to find a used pair on the Classified Forums. Thanks for any suggestions you might have!
I just ordered a pair of Sitka Timberlines. I have big thighs too and these fit. The new Ascents are like Luke Bryan jeans lol. But the Timberlines are awesome. I'm between a 36-38. I tried on 38's and they were a touch loose. So I ordered 37s last night. The fit is sweet! The knee pads should make deer hunting on the praire a lot safer!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you are around an eddie baurer store trying on their "pro guide pants" will be a rather similar fit to the kuiu attacks to give you a baseline on how those fit. They are my favorite pants for fall weather but some have fit issues if really large in the legs.

I really like the Prana Stretch Zion’s. I have Kuiu Alpines, Attacks and Chinooks and they are both tighter in the thighs for me. I have larger thighs too. Pranas fit well but are thinner than the Kuiu attacks. I just picked up a pair on backcountry.com for $50 on sale. They have become my go to pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
Check out 5.11 Apex if you want a good nylon pant in your $ range, they come in inch waist/inseam sizing as well. First lite Corragate Guide pants are a great nylon pant as well, a bit thicker than the 5.11, I am 5'9" 185# 33-34"waist 32"inseam fairly large thighs from running and years of catching in baseball, the mediums fit me perfectly, they are a bit out of your $ range though. I haven't worn/bought them yet, but have fondled a pair of the Wrangler nylon pants at Walmart, and they seem ok for the $, and they seem on the thicker side of the nylon tech pant spectrum too.

OP
weisenbu

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the great ideas and input so far. It is very helpful.

Akicita

WKR
Marmot Scree. . . Backcountry has them on sale right now for under a hundred bucks. They come in some good colors for hunting. I have abused the three pair I have and give them a full endorsement for all the points you are trying to address.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Im a big fan of the KUIU Attack pants, I have a few pairs of them. I also like the sitka timberlines.

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have Kuiu attack, first lite corrugate, and sitka timberlines. The timberlines are hands down my favorite. I am 5'10 180 athletic built and the timberlines fit great. I wear a 32 in jeans and I ordered a 32r and they fit great. The kuiu attacks are good also, but they are a little tight in the butt/thigh area. I am still able to layer under them, but the are a little tight. The first lite pants are a medium and they fit like a large. I rarely wear them because I'm not a fan of the fit. I hope this helps.

For what you are asking and it being a late October hunt in CO I would go with the timberlines. Not too tight in the legs and they are a thicker pant. I'll be sporting those during the same time frame this year, along with trying out the Kuiu Guides.

KHNC

WKR
First Lite Kanabs run a little big and will fit the bill. My favorite now by far, are the Hells Canyon Speed Backcountry pants. i wear 34 , and i consider myself athletic build as well.

OP
weisenbu

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again everyone. I drive by an Eddie Bauer store every day on my way to work, so I'll definitely check those out. I could get 2 pairs for $100. I also live near a Sierra Trading Post (where I purchased the 90% pants), so I'm going to check them out as they have Marmot, etc. I really like the sound of the Timberlines, but they are double my current budget. If anyone knows of a good place to get them or has a used pair in size 32, please let me know. Thanks again. Roksliders are awesome.

robie

WKR
Check out the Kuiu Teton pants. They are $99.99.

I like the attacks better because of the hip vents and softer material but the Tetons are very durable and have a great stretch to them.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Seems like a common theme here, but... I have pretty large thighs and calves in relation to my waist and the 32r timberlines are perfect. I'm 5'10, 175, 32" waist. Only issue if I had to find one is I can't pull them up past my knees for river crossings. Really doesn't matter though, as they dry quick.

OP
weisenbu

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. Looks like I need to start saving my money for some Timberlines!

Kryptek fit looser but have more of a boot cut around the calves. It's comfortable but annoying in the thick stuff without gaiters.

Kuiu attack fit well but I preemptively went up a size in the waist to accommodate my thighs.

Eddie Bauer guide pros looked like I was wearing my lady's yoga pants. She laughed and said I couldn't wear those in public.

My favorite pair of pants by far are my arborwear ascenders.

Sitka pants seemed to fit ok but the tops were incredibly tight on my forearms.

I have some sylo pants that fit true to size but it's like they forgot the dwr at the factory.

I haven't tried any first lite pants.

Outdoor research are also on my list to try.