How do you wash first lite rain gear?

dbeeler

FNG
Just bought a set of boundary stormtight rain gear and I was wondering how yall wash yours. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just bought a set of boundary stormtight rain gear and I was wondering how yall wash yours. Thanks.

If you just bought it I wouldnt be washing it for a LONG time. Waterproof gear usually has DWR outer layer and its job is to pool up and shed water. Over time, and the more you wash it this layer will break down. This then stops the breathable layers below from being able to do their job. Now you will start to have a damp and clammy rain jacket.

OP
dbeeler

dbeeler

FNG
If you just bought it I wouldnt be washing it for a LONG time. Waterproof gear usually has DWR outer layer and its job is to pool up and shed water. Over time, and the more you wash it this layer will break down. This then stops the breathable layers below from being able to do their job. Now you will start to have a damp and clammy rain jacket.
Bought it used

twall13

WKR
I'd send it through the washing machine with either some Nikwax Tech Wash or Atsko Sport Wash as a detergent. I wouldn't put it through the dryer though; hang dry it once it's clean. If you are worried about the washer doing damage use the same type of detergent and just hand wash it in the tub and hang dry it.

As the above poster mentioned, when things get dirty the water repellancy is diminished. Washing with the correct type of detergent can actually revive it, though my rain gear rarely needs it.