Alternative for Sitka lightweight hoodie?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally got to try one on today unfortunately the fit is a deal breaker, even going up a size.

It was too short in the body, arms and hood (over a ball cap). I really like the material weight and feel. Hood was close, don't need the built in face mask. Anything else that comes close for long arms and giraffe necks?

Trial153

WKR
if you don't mind a solid, simms bug stopper hoody is a nice peice.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you don't mind a solid, simms bug stopper hoody is a nice peice.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I don't mind solids. I was actually planning on open country since it's not too bold for non hunting use.

I know your looking for an alternative, but the Sitka lightweight hoody is awesome! One of my favorite pieces!

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know your looking for an alternative, but the Sitka lightweight hoody is awesome! One of my favorite pieces!

I know. Believe me it was hard to say no. Pricey but it's a shirt, beanie, face mask in one. Besides it's intended hunting purposes It was light enough to use year round for high altitude sun protection while hiking and fishing.

AlaskaEd

WKR
My core lightweight Sitka shirt is my favorite piece of hunting clothing. I wear it all day and all night when I'm out, no matter the weather, I probably have it on. The Kuiu Peleton 97 is similar, although it more fleecy, and doesn't have the face mask. I had one and sold quick it after getting the Sitka.

I'd say just go to your local REI or outdoor clothing store and check out all the "non-hunting" premium brands. You won't get a face mask, but I bet you can find something similar.

Thinking outside the box, but what about getting the size that's good for your arms and torso, and going to the tailor to have it fit to you?

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My core lightweight Sitka shirt is my favorite piece of hunting clothing. I wear it all day and all night when I'm out, no matter the weather, I probably have it on. The Kuiu Peleton 97 is similar, although it more fleecy, and doesn't have the face mask. I had one and sold quick it after getting the Sitka.

I'd say just go to your local REI or outdoor clothing store and check out all the "non-hunting" premium brands. You won't get a face mask, but I bet you can find something similar.

Thinking outside the box, but what about getting the size that's good for your arms and torso, and going to the tailor to have it fit to you?

I did think about going to the tailor or adding it to my list of odd jobs for pods8 that he doesn't know about yet :) I would have to add material combined with labor I can see this getting too expensive.

I have been checking rei and similar but so far everything is more of a mid weight.

And thank you for your comment about the kuiu 97, It sounded too fleecy from what I read.

I did think about going to the tailor or adding it to my list of odd jobs for pods8 that he doesn't know about yet :) I would have to add material combined with labor I can see this getting too expensive.

I have been checking rei and similar but so far everything is more of a mid weight.

And thank you for your comment about the kuiu 97, It sounded too fleecy from what I read.

Men's River Run Lightweight Merino Hoodie | VOORMI

I dont have this exact piece, but have other from them and they are well built and a plus on the length.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
not a hoodie, but both Patagonia and Outdoor Research both make a very lightweight base layer that as near as I can tell, is the same small grid material as the lightweight Sitka

what makes this a wonderful base layer is the fabric- it's gossamer light, breathes wonderfully and dries much quicker than other base layers; the hood is definitely a bonus that you just don't see on very lightweight base layers

Lawnboi

WKR
The OR echo baselayers are pretty great for another light weight option. I prefer the sitka, but the echo is even lighter weight, and grid like.

I own a bunch of echo long and short sleeve shirts, and zip tee for working out and summer stuff. Also has polygiene just like sitka, doesn't take to a stink as quick.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
agree- OR Echo is one of the ones I was referring to above, Patagonia Capilene Lightweight is the other, both solid performers

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for ideas. I’ll look into the OR and Patagonia. Is there any lesser known hunting brands ?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
not that I'm aware; it's a relatively new fabric- a very (very) light microgrid- my guess is that at some point other manufacturers will pick it up

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I have the lightweight hoodie from Sitka, I like it. Not a huge fan of the facemask, and fit is a little weird (to me). My favorite lightweight hoodie is the Tropic Hoody from Patagonia. Most of their colors are bright, but they do have it in gray. I hate shirts being too short and that Patagonia Hoody is not. I have a green and blue one and wear them way too much. Fit is slightly big, which I don’t mind. Sitka, Kuiu I wear a 3XL, but I wear a 2XL in this and it fits similar. I haven’t noticed it getting real stinky either, for a synthetic.
http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-tropic-comfort-hoody-ii/52123.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the lightweight hoodie from Sitka, I like it. Not a huge fan of the facemask, and fit is a little weird (to me). My favorite lightweight hoodie is the Tropic Hoody from Patagonia. Most of their colors are bright, but they do have it in gray. I hate shirts being too short and that Patagonia Hoody is not. I have a green and blue one and wear them way too much. Fit is slightly big, which I don’t mind. Sitka, Kuiu I wear a 3XL, but I wear a 2XL in this and it fits similar. I haven’t noticed it getting real stinky either, for a synthetic.
http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-tropic-comfort-hoody-ii/52123.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might try this. Not having a zip for heat dump is a bummer but how light is the material? Could you compare to the Sitka lightweight?