FL Halstead or Sitka CORE Heavyweight Hoody

I don't have the Sitka.

I have a halstead in fusion. Nice piece of kit. The spitting image of the Patagonia r1 fleece, a favorite of mine. The grid fleece is warm and breathable but doesn't cut wind at all. Mine is most often a layering piece under a softshell or other jacket. Durable enough but this is not a hard wearing outshell piece.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally like the heavyweight core better. Seems to block the wind better and is more cozy... as well as a bit better fit for me. That being said I do like the halstead, I just think that Sitka core hoody has the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have a sitka fanatic hoody which is similar to the core heavyweight and I really like it. I had the halstead and sold it because I like the sitka better. The sitka seems warmer and blocks wind better than the halstead. The sitka also fit a lot better. The halstead was in a medium was too short and very boxy feeling. The large fanatic fit is great.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
have never tried the Halstead, but own the Hvy weight Core- really nice mid-layer; if you happen to be familiar with the popular Patagonia R1 hoody, they are very similar- heavy weight grid fleece, deep zip, thumb loops, nice length, excellent hood and the fit is athletic, but not overly so

this is a mainstay in my clothing quiver

The built-in facemask on the Core hoody is ideal for concealment and fending off insects.

22406064_10214087808370320_1129241913823382085_n.jpg

Trial153

WKR
I hated the fit on the halstead, over long arms, loose fitting in general and would ride up when used as mid layer.

The core heavy Hoody stays put, and the hood is very functional in that it moves with you and doesn't obscure your vision when you turn your head. It layers very well and is good stand alone piece or under a vest.

The built-in facemask on the Core hoody is ideal for concealment and fending off insects.

theres no facemask on the heavyweight only the lightweight hoody

op if you wanted to save some coin and dont mind wearing solids rei has the patagonia r1 hoodie in a green that would work in the woods for 80$. pretty much same thing as the sitka core heavy weight

Access Denied

ofl0926

WKR
theres no facemask on the heavyweight only the lightweight hoody

op if you wanted to save some coin and dont mind wearing solids rei has the patagonia r1 hoodie in a green that would work in the woods for 80$. pretty much same thing as the sitka core heavy weight

Access Denied

That’s a nice piece. How’s the fit of their products? Is this a heavy piece or more of a mid layer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the R1 is the same weight as the Core Heavyweight, same grid fabric; fit is similar- semi-athletic

it breathes well so can be used a mid-layer on the move in colder conditions, it's warm enough to be used an insulating layer in milder conditions

Titan

WKR
The heavyweight does have a face mask. It is just an extra long section on the zipper instead of built in to the hood like the light weight.

I'll be using the heavyweight hoody for the first time this year. Seems like a great piece.