Pnuma Clothing - it lives up to the hype!

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I've been seeking some comfortable pants that fit me properly for quite a while (44x36 in jeans). Not many choices out there for guys like me. I decided to give the Pnuma Tenacity pants a try and was pleasantly surprised. They actually fit me very well. They stretch where they need to when moving and are very, very comfortable. Thus far I've only been archery elk hunting with them but, very happy. Temps have been from 80 degrees down to 29 and a foot of snow over the season so far here. Been wearing these pants exclusively. Used my Sitka base layer under them for the cooler temps and everything was just fine. Will be trying the Pnuma base layering system soon too. These Tenacity pants have taken all the abuse of hunting in the mountains without a single issue. The snaps and zippers have stood up to my yanking and pulling without issues. The knees have held up as well (came with knee pads but haven't used them).

I then bought the Waypoint jacket in mid-Sep. From the pics online, I thought this was a mid-season jacket and, it could very well be for some but man is this thing warm. I would say too warm for hiking, unless you start dipping down into the 30's for highs. I was sweating fairly profusely when wearing it and hiking in the foot of snow we had over a couple of days mid-month. I definitely used the vent zippers those days! The jacket is very well made and I am super happy with the fit as well. I bought the 2XL size in Tall and was very surprised to finally have a jacket where the sleeves actually still fit me when I stretched out my arms. You don't know how nice that is when you're taller than the average hunting clothes buyer, to finally find something like this. Again, the zippers and everything worked awesome! Very durable for me and a well-made product.

Just ordered the 1/4 zip shirt and will see it in a few days. I'll add some more commentary on that once I get it and have a chance to wear it. I have to say, both items I've used thus far fit great, have great flexibility and finish and perform as good or better than I expected. I'll be outfitting myself with the total package over the course of the next year so I'll have the whole setup before next year's archery season begins. For now though, it's a piece by piece purchasing plan.

Good job Pnuma. You get my vote.

OP
widnert

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
So an update on the 1/4 zip Merino wool base layer shirt. Very nice quality. It is a little thinner than I anticipated but, it did say it was a base layer. And, that it is. Well made and nice material. I can say I recommend this one as well.

If you've been considering buying into the Pnuma brand clothing, I would say go for it. I'll be continuing to add to my set over the course of the winter/spring/summer before next year's archery elk season begins. For now, I'm rifle hunting elk every chance I get!

The Beard

WKR
I know this thread is almost 6 months old now, but I wanted to piggy-back on this about the Pnuma line - Just in case someone (like me) is searching for reviews prior to purchase:

Purchased:
Waypoint Pant (solid color)
Selkirk Pant (solid Color)
Tenacity Pant (solid color)

1/4 zip Merino (camo)
Rouge l/s tee (black)

These pants are the REAL DEAL. Most of my hunting situations do not call for me to be decked out in complete matching camo like some sort of douche who thinks he just stepped out of a magazine ad.

Waypoint pants are definitely cold weather pants - Similar to Kuiu Guide pants. Any active hunting above mid 30's doesnt require baselayer for me. I approve of the inner thigh zip vents as opposed to Kuiu's hip vents. They seem to vent better where its really needed. Zips open from crotch almost to knee. Tough as nails with DWR and knee pads. Even w/o pads, knee area still has the textured honeycomb. Pockets and zippers placed perfectly and well thought out. Perfect fit based on website measurement guide. Athletic cut w/o that extra material or saggy seat/crotch area. Rubberized area inside waist to keep shirt tucked in and waist not riding up/down. Solid zippers. doudle snap closure on waist instead of button on kuiu (which I dislike)
Busted brush and slide over some rock shed hunting this weekend pants came out looking brand new. My kuius would have snagged for sure.
Friday - high 30's and WINDY. bottom system was Waypoint pants ONLY. comfortable w/o baselayer used vents a few times to dump heat.

SelKirk Pants
As advertised. Maybe a hair warmer than Kuiu Attacj pants. For being pretty thick These things breathe though! Same as above - construction is top notch, zippers, pockets, snap closures, fit, etc...all perfect.
Got them Thursday night and tested in rain. Waterproof membrane that breathes like regular pants. Had them on Saturday shed hunting in similar situations only warmer. Selkirk pants are less warm and lighter than Waypoint. Saturday mid-40's less wind, wore solo w/o baselayer and was comfortable during hikes.

Tenacity Pants
What can I say, these will retire my Kuiu Attack pants. Though they may not have a DWR finish, they are light, breathe, and will dry quickly.
Knee pads +/- with honeycomb finsh on outside, double snaps, cargo pockets with side zips, zippers - basically everything thought out and put togther extremly well. These are now my go-to pants from 30/40 - 100 degree. Best utilized prob for early season archery and Spring Bear. They seem light but I had them on tonight in the 40's w/o baselayers also. Layered properly these can pull double duty in a wide variety of conditions.

Happy with all 3 pants for different hunting situations/weather. Only wish the Tenacity Pants came in other solid colors choices like the Kuiu Attacks do.

Steve

The Beard

WKR
also forgot to mention...
I know a lot of you guys here are western hunters and may say my review doesnt apply, or what does he know he's from MD.
I live in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains and do most of my hunting up in and along its range (and testing of these pants)

So not a complete "flat-lander" I guess...:cool:

zman

Lil-Rokslider
I know this thread is almost 6 months old now, but I wanted to piggy-back on this about the Pnuma line - Just in case someone (like me) is searching for reviews prior to purchase:

Purchased:
Waypoint Pant (solid color)
Selkirk Pant (solid Color)
Tenacity Pant (solid color)

1/4 zip Merino (camo)
Rouge l/s tee (black)

These pants are the REAL DEAL. Most of my hunting situations do not call for me to be decked out in complete matching camo like some sort of douche who thinks he just stepped out of a magazine ad.

Waypoint pants are definitely cold weather pants - Similar to Kuiu Guide pants. Any active hunting above mid 30's doesnt require baselayer for me. I approve of the inner thigh zip vents as opposed to Kuiu's hip vents. They seem to vent better where its really needed. Zips open from crotch almost to knee. Tough as nails with DWR and knee pads. Even w/o pads, knee area still has the textured honeycomb. Pockets and zippers placed perfectly and well thought out. Perfect fit based on website measurement guide. Athletic cut w/o that extra material or saggy seat/crotch area. Rubberized area inside waist to keep shirt tucked in and waist not riding up/down. Solid zippers. doudle snap closure on waist instead of button on kuiu (which I dislike)
Busted brush and slide over some rock shed hunting this weekend pants came out looking brand new. My kuius would have snagged for sure.
Friday - high 30's and WINDY. bottom system was Waypoint pants ONLY. comfortable w/o baselayer used vents a few times to dump heat.

SelKirk Pants
As advertised. Maybe a hair warmer than Kuiu Attacj pants. For being pretty thick These things breathe though! Same as above - construction is top notch, zippers, pockets, snap closures, fit, etc...all perfect.
Got them Thursday night and tested in rain. Waterproof membrane that breathes like regular pants. Had them on Saturday shed hunting in similar situations only warmer. Selkirk pants are less warm and lighter than Waypoint. Saturday mid-40's less wind, wore solo w/o baselayer and was comfortable during hikes.

Tenacity Pants
What can I say, these will retire my Kuiu Attack pants. Though they may not have a DWR finish, they are light, breathe, and will dry quickly.
Knee pads +/- with honeycomb finsh on outside, double snaps, cargo pockets with side zips, zippers - basically everything thought out and put togther extremly well. These are now my go-to pants from 30/40 - 100 degree. Best utilized prob for early season archery and Spring Bear. They seem light but I had them on tonight in the 40's w/o baselayers also. Layered properly these can pull double duty in a wide variety of conditions.

Happy with all 3 pants for different hunting situations/weather. Only wish the Tenacity Pants came in other solid colors choices like the Kuiu Attacks do.

Steve

Thanks for the good reviews. I have looked at their stuff for a year now... this gives me some confidence to pull the trigger.

bruno59

WKR
I have 2 pairs of tenacity pants in solid for 2 years now and they have held up really well dry quick and fit great I am 32/32 in jeans and there 32/32 fits perfect I wear them right thru nov. in Montana with a base layer only when it gets real wet and snowy I wear timberlines great pair of pants

OP
widnert

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the Selkirk "All-Weather" Hunting Jacket coming right now. I'll report back after getting it and checking things out. I'm hoping this is more of an early season jacket since the Waypoint I previously purchased was just too warm when hiking in. Once to an area and hanging out, then it was perfect.

Thanks to other folks for posting. Hope these posts help others to feel more confident in considering this line of clothing.

FlyGuy

WKR
Dang! I just might give those tenacity pants a try!

A few times a year I hunt in either far West Texas or down near the border and the native plantlife there is devastating on high end clothing! The cactus pierces straight through Sitka gaitors like they aren't even there and leave your pants full of snags and pulls in the fabric. I won't wear my good stuff out there anymore, and I've even been considering going to (gasp) blue jeans. All The outfitters Ive met in the area wear those leather gaitors (locally made, I think) but damn they look hot.

Anyway, going to pick up a pair of these and report back at the end of the year on how well they held up!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Steadman

WKR
How quiet are the tenacity’s? I like the fact they make them in taller sizes and specific waist. But if they are loud, they are the same as a lot of other brands.

OP
widnert

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
How quiet are the tenacity’s? I like the fact they make them in taller sizes and specific waist. But if they are loud, they are the same as a lot of other brands.

My experience is they are very quiet. No real noise to speak of. They are not waterproof and therefore, don't have that sound at all. The closest thing I can think of is that they are "similar" to the Riggs (Wrangler) Workwear Ripstop fabric - but - that's not the fabric and they are definitely quieter than the Riggs pants. Just an idea of something similar. Hard to describe. You will not notice any noise when wearing these pants.

The Beard

WKR

Whisper Quiet...no noise what-so-ever while hiking. these pants are weird, thin/light and breathable but thick and tough at the same time - is the only way to explain it even though that doesnt make any sense.

The Beard

WKR
I've got the Selkirk "All-Weather" Hunting Jacket coming right now. I'll report back after getting it and checking things out. I'm hoping this is more of an early season jacket since the Waypoint I previously purchased was just too warm when hiking in. Once to an area and hanging out, then it was perfect.

Thanks to other folks for posting. Hope these posts help others to feel more confident in considering this line of clothing.

If the Selkirk jacket breathes anything like the Selkirk pants I have you'll be happy with it.
You may have to throw it in the pack if your hitting it hard or its above 60F, but just imagine not having to pack rain gear anymore too!

Just to reiterate, in case others gloss over where I said it, and what Widnert posted -
Waypoint line is def "Cold Weather" gear. For the active hunter the waypoint is not "All Season"

OP
widnert

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Got the Selkirk jacket in yesterday. Tried it on, right out of the box, and it fit great - 2X-Tall. It is definitely lighter than the Waypoint jacket. I would say about 1/2 the weight. Lots of pockets and vents. Nice feel. I'l try it out this spring on a few hikes and see how it performs. I'll report back after that.

Once they get my size in the pants back in stock, I'll get the matching pants and see how they are. Also planning to order the vest and another pair of the tenacity pants, along with some miscellaneous pieces before archery antelope season kicks off in mid-August here.

sneaky

"DADDY"
They need to do something other than brown for their solid colors. Maybe gray.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Beard

WKR
They need to do something other than brown for their solid colors. Maybe gray.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agreed.
The 2 solid colors they offer are not even available across the product line...
Waypoint and Tenacity = Pine Creek Green only
Selkirk = Brown only

I'd buy an everyday wear Selkirk jacket if it came in something interesting...2tone gray like Kuiu Guide jacket?

WyoKid

WKR
Just learned about Pnuma and it looks like quality stuff....I like the pockets and vent zips...on Campfire sale now so got me doing some looking...

Hootybob

FNG
Looking for some advise on the Pnuma Waypoint jacket sizing. I normally wear an XL, but was wondering if an XL in this jacket would be big enough to wear over a goose down puffy jacket or should I size up to a 2XL? Thanks!

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some advise on the Pnuma Waypoint jacket sizing. I normally wear an XL, but was wondering if an XL in this jacket would be big enough to wear over a goose down puffy jacket or should I size up to a 2XL? Thanks!
I wear medium in First Lite, but large in Pnuma. I have a Waypoint jacket in large. I wear this (usually) over a couple merino baselayers and a FL puffy. I'm 5'10"/180 if that helps. Size 42....