Sitka pattern poll

Open County or Subalpine?

• Total voters
Open Country or Subalpine?

I have been a Sitka guy since the beginning of the Mountain Mimicry days. I absolutely loved that stuff and still have a few pieces. I mainly use Open Country now but I am curious how many guys have switched over to the subalpine. I like the new pattern but I'm not a pattern chaser so I'll stick with what I have for now. I am just curious to see how many made the switch and their opinion.

Kilboars

WKR
I'm a big sitka fan and love the Subalpine but found the new light weight fabric they created for it way the loud for bow hunting. IMO

I bought a lot of pieces when it came out and sent most of it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Shackdaddy
I'm a big sitka fan and love the Subalpine but found the new light weight fabric they created for it way the loud for bow hunting. IMO

I bought a lot of pieces when it came out and sent most of it back.

Completely agree. My father in law ordered a bunch of it and the new ascent pants are way to loud for my liking. Its great how lite weight they are but the noise just doesn't work for me.

Alot of my stuff is still Mountain Mimicry, but I like the Open Country as well. The sub alpine looks nice but I am not big on all the green, from what I understand deer and elk can't really see green anyways, its all more shades of gray to them (in theory...and not the movie, lol). I tend to like the larger open patterns, and tans, browns and grays more. Just my taste.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
Shackdaddy
Alot of my stuff is still Mountain Mimicry, but I like the Open Country as well. The sub alpine looks nice but I am not big on all the green, from what I understand deer and elk can't really see green anyways, its all more shades of gray to them (in theory...and not the movie, lol). I tend to like the larger open patterns, and tans, browns and grays more. Just my taste.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I wish I still had all the mimicry stuff I had back in the day. Loved that stuff.

jherald

WKR
If Sitka would make Sub Alpine in everything they made in Open Country I'd buy it all. A Coldfront set in Sub Alpine would be killer.

Kilboars

WKR
Most of what I own is the Open Country and you can't beat the quality but it's really designed around rifle hunters. Ive been buying the old ASAT camo lately.

Trial153

WKR
I use a lot of sitka gear solid colors and wish they offered more it items in solids.
The solids work just as weelnas any pattern. as for their camo I have almost the entire line in open country and EV2..and also a few of the new subalpine. I don't think it makes any difference at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Cgeb

WKR
Open Country and Ground Forest for me. Ground Forest is the European version a little more brown in it, fits my fall season better in the midwest. Had the original Forest too much green and was heavier (warmer) clothing just didn't match the fall deer season (browned out leaves vs green color), to heavy for hot/warm turkey season.

If I had to choose one it would be Open Country great for do-it-all.

Subalpine works great back east. I have already had close encounters with turkey and does and they couldn't figure out what I was. I would probably buy some open country for western hunting but for me - still hunting white tails in PA and Ny - subalpine is working just fine.

FlyGuy

WKR
If I was starting out today I would go the subalpine route, but I am in far too deep with open country now to change! HaHa! Yes, my OCD will not allow me to mix camo patterns. Gave up on trying to work through that one.

I do wish that Sitka offered more of the sub-alpine items in solid colors. I really like the acent vest (like a fly fishing vest concept). Looks like a great peice for archery elk and turkey, maybe even ducks? But it is only available in S.A. I would have bought it if offered in any of their solid colors.

I heard the new fabric just needs to break in a bit and will lose that noise.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with either. I do like the lighter color of the open country. Out west lighter colors seem better.

I don't think it matters, as most have said and I like both and own both, but it is MUCH easier for people to see the open country where I hunt, where the subalpine blends much better. Whether that is good or bad depends on your outlook I guess.

Id like to see sitka start tailoring subalpine to bowhunters though. I was also not thrilled with the noise factor, again, guys kill all kinds of stuff wearing all kinds of noisy stuff, but i can use all the help I can get. :cool:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I prefer open country, in fact, 95% of the time I use open country and Vias almost everybody I hut with has at least some open country in their collection that gets used regularily.

CaseyU

WKR
Open. County for me most of my country is High desert. Rock sage and juniper mix. Really like the lighter Cano patterns where I call home and hunt

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

xturns06x

FNG
Subalpine for two reasons.
1. Greater flexibility with regards to terrain. Living in Missouri the landscape can shift rather drastically from Northern MO which is more agricultural (browns) and the southern Ozarks (green) Subalpline is a good "all around" pattern that may not be perfect for one but acceptable for most. Unless your wallet is bottomless you can get 1 complete set and be good for everything from spring turkey to fall whitetails etc.

2. The vest. Finally someone looked at how the military runs around with critical items and figured it out. Just wish it was in a solid pattern.

OP
Shackdaddy
I don't think it matters, as most have said and I like both and own both, but it is MUCH easier for people to see the open country where I hunt, where the subalpine blends much better. Whether that is good or bad depends on your outlook I guess.

Id like to see sitka start tailoring subalpine to bowhunters though. I was also not thrilled with the noise factor, again, guys kill all kinds of stuff wearing all kinds of noisy stuff, but i can use all the help I can get. :cool:

I completely agree about the noise factor. My father in law went with the new ascent pants for our elk hunt. I love my Sitka stuff but I will not be buying those pants until a change is made but that's just my opinion. The swish swash doesn't work for me. The rest of his set up was solid.

WKR
I completely agree about the noise factor. My father in law went with the new ascent pants for our elk hunt. I love my Sitka stuff but I will not be buying those pants until a change is made but that's just my opinion. The swish swash doesn't work for me. The rest of his set up was solid.
I bought and returned some Sitka pants a couple weeks ago because they were so damn loud. Didn't notice it at the store but at home in the dead quiet it was like a fat kid in cords.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You guys crack me up! I have both along with EV and use em all, but ehich I use depends on where I am hunting and how. I wore subalpine for 12 days (timberline pants, core hoody mostly) and didn't have any noise issues. Heck, a moose almost stepped on me.

22365710_10214087807130289_3274695676748466193_n.jpg
22406064_10214087808370320_1129241913823382085_n.jpg

21314846_10213794675842190_3167235699746650149_n.jpg

The core hoody with built-in facemask is their finest piece IMHO and provided excellent concealment and protection from the bugs in the swamp.

The OC works fine is a wide variety of places and there are more pieces to choose from so I pack whatever meets the performance needs of my hunt...pattern is way down on the list of priorities. Ungulates don't see color like we do so wear the gear that best meets the needs of the hunt and don't worry about looks.

523277_4456811979502_1234478517_n.jpg
19514_10206088992524923_5618431483959587012_n.jpg