Rain Gear - Outdoor Research, First Lite, Skre

fishslap

WKR
Another rain gear topic....

I've been packing around cabelas space rain for several years now and use it occasionally with ok results. Sometimes I'll find some wet areas (not too bad) and I can't tell if it's me sweating in it when hiking in the rain or if its soaking through. I also have another slightly heavier but similar jacket from cabelas that does the same. I live in Colorado and it doesn't rain much so I don't need heavy duty gear but I was thinking of changing my jacket. Here are some cost effective options. What are your thoughts?

-First Lite Vapor Stormlight, 12oz, I can get the discontinued Pine color for $123.75, or any color for $178.75
-Outdoor Research Foray Jacket, 16.3oz, I get a discount at $129 and they have it in coyote brown
-Outdoor Research Helium II, 6.4oz, I get a discount at $95.40 and they have it in coyote brown
-Skre Gear Nebo SL Rain Jacket, 13.7oz, $199.99 (no discount unless they do veterans discount)

I'd be interested in other options too. Price isn't the primary factor but since I don't use it that much it's a consideration. One option is to buy both of the OR jackets and then I can choose what to take based on likelihood of rain. Internet says my space rain jacket is 11.2 but I haven't weighed it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The helium II won’t be much of an upgrade for durability. FYI, cut small I’d have to go up two sizes.

Skre does do veteran discount Page not found | Skre Gear

If the link doesn’t work just click on “veteran appreciation” at the bottom of the home page.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
Do the OR ones have the lifetime guarantee?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Yes (infinite, guaranteed forever). First lite doesn't so that's always a roll of the dice. I had the beanie get a hole in it the first time I washed it (per their instructions to get it to fit properly). They said sorry, nothing we can do, you washed it (per instructions).

KHNC

WKR
As i said on the other thread, look into Browning SPeed Rain Slayer jacket. I know first hand it will do what you need! CHeck Ebay for great deals on new stuff. As much as 50% off, if you can find your size. Its worth it for sure.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
The helium II won’t be much of an upgrade for durability. FYI, cut small I’d have to go up two sizes.

Skre does do veteran discount Page not found | Skre Gear

If the link doesn’t work just click on “veteran appreciation” at the bottom of the home page.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking based on the weight, so maybe not worth it. That's a good discount from Skre. I've heard good things on their gear.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. That's what I was thinking based on the weight, so maybe not worth it. That's a good discount from Skre. I've heard good things on their gear.

Ya from what I’ve read on here and the couple pieces I have I’m happy. If you have questions don’t hesitate to call them, Mike is very happy to answer questions and he has been very straight forward. I did speak to him about the nebo but for the sake of not misquoting him I encourage you to call yourself.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
-First Lite Vapor Stormlight, 12oz, I can get the discontinued Pine color for $123.75, or any color for $178.75
-Outdoor Research Foray Jacket, 16.3oz, I get a discount at $129 and they have it in coyote brown

After a wet 2nd rifle 2 years ago I sought out a better rain jacket. I got a foray off amazon for a good price and tried it on, seemed nice and likely would have worked well however it was in black and then I found a firstlite stormtight in coyote during a sale and sent the foray back. The firstlite was a tad softer in hand as well. Knock on wood only dealt with hunting in rain for a few hours since but stayed perfectly dry in that jacket (light hiking to the glassing point and sitting in rain for a few hours glassing so no sweat issues). Its not the vapor light but you are welcome to check out that jacket in person if you'd like, we need to touch base here soon anyways. :)

mechengr

FNG
I don't have any experience with their rain gear, but I saw Kuiu has a bunch of rain gear items at clearance prices in their outlet right now

I have the OR helium pants and they are very light and water proof but they are noisy.

I have the Cabelas Instinct packable rain jacket and its like the space rain but with no pockets and a better material and 1/2 the weight. I works great for sporadic September Colorado rains but not durable enough for all day long term use. I got it in the bargain cave at the local store.

Mmcan

WKR
As i said on the other thread, look into Browning SPeed Rain Slayer jacket. I know first hand it will do what you need! CHeck Ebay for great deals on new stuff. As much as 50% off, if you can find your size. Its worth it for sure.

Camofire has this
On sale today