Solid color guys...

HeadnWest

WKR
The comments above referencing Prana Zion Stretch answer your question. Also , Eddie Bauer First Ascent Guide Pro's are really nice and can be grabbed for a peach if you watch for sales (wore a pair of them in Slate Green on my September MT Elk Hunt)...Costco also sells a pant for ~$20 the Union Bay Tech that are built pretty much the same way. You can search reviews in this forum.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/clothing/71159-prana-zion-pant-alternative.html

I have tried KUHL and own a couple pairs of the Rydr's but they are heavy durable cotton more like an amp'd up Carhartt , the others styles didn't fit me well.

I have both the Costco pants and the Prana Zions. I love both pants for everyday use. Probably use the Costco ones more, for everyday use. BUT in a hunting situation I would never choose the Costco pants over the Zions. The Zions just seem a touch heavier, which to me makes them feel more durable and quieter.

robie

WKR
I wear camo pants and my favorite shirt is the Kuiu Merino 145 L/S in Major Brown.

I would gladly buy a couple more in that color. Doesn't look anything like the pictures on the website. It is very muted, blends well and is loose enough I can easily roll up the selves if warm.

ianpadron

WKR
I run a lot of solids, and have found that muted and neutral earth tones like browns and greens absolutely disappear at a distance, regardless of terrain. Have no idea what that equates to in the eyes of elk/deer/bear though...

huntr6

FNG
I dont have much to compare them to, but Wrangler Performance Pants from Wal Mart are super comfortable. Hard to beat for under 22 dollars.

Akicita

WKR
Personally I set up my solid color to be as similar as possible to the game I'm hunting. I figure that deer and elk are brown for a reason and with how hard it is for me to spot them sometimes it must be good camouflage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this^^^^ I wear a mix match of grays, tans, browns and greens and sometimes under a solid orange vest. I don't find they provide any disadvantage to my hunting style. My experience is that movement gives you away before anything else so I use natural cover and movement techniques handed down to me by my mentors and ancestors as my camo.

I have observed that solid blacks do seem to give me away more than the natural tones.

lTE5Ez2.jpg

MJsOP0U.jpg

I agree with this^^^^ I wear a mix match of grays, tans, browns and greens and sometimes under a solid orange vest. I don't find they provide any disadvantage to my hunting style. My experience is that movement gives you away before anything else so I use natural cover and movement techniques handed down to me by my mentors and ancestors as my camo.

I have observed that solid blacks do seem to give me away more than the natural tones.

lTE5Ez2.jpg

MJsOP0U.jpg
Your multi-colored gear actually creates it's own break-up and is no doubt very effective.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
I just wear earth tones...because that is what I prefer for wearing around town. I select colors more based on what I feel is socially appropriate around town than what I think blends in. Any muted, relatively naturally-occurring color, will work just fine provided you move slowly and observe the wind, in my experience. I've gotten away with all kinds of things in plain sight of an animal, but rarely have I gotten more than a glimpse of them while standing upwind.

The Wrangler pants previously mentioned have been my go-to for some time now. They are very comfortable, hold up to desert brush great, and the cargo pockets are in a position where I can comfortably hike with them filled with rangefinders and snacks all day. They also kind of blend into the leg, so you don't look like Mr. Tactical Dork around town. I've got them in dark grey, brown, and tan. The ones with holes burned in them from a campfire are what I usually hunt in. I think they're dark grey.

The only thing I ever pay any attention to is occasionally I'll grab a shirt/jacket that contrasts with my pants. I rarely wear a camo shirt. Not that I'm against camo, I'd just rather have a nice shirt that I can wear around town if I am going to spend money on it. I hypothesize that a different colored shirt/pant combo may break up my figure slightly.

Most of my hats happen to be camo, but that's mostly because blue jeans and a camo hat are normal attire for men around Reno haha.

Last edited:

d_bach

FNG
What solid color do you feel blends the best in the most situations. I've been picking up some solid color stuff lately and went gray, figured it blended in pretty good but a buddy said he thought my gray stood out (and that I should only wear camo).

Just curious if guys feel the gray or light tan or dark brown blend better. I know it depends on the area for sure but I'm just wanting to see what other people think in general terms.
Have you ever thought about having a dark olive base and then use coyote tan pack, bino’s, gloves etc. to break up the solid color?

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Archery treestand and stalking wear at least a camo top also I like to hunt turkeys so camo for that

Firearm especially rifle is whatever
I personally think that the olive drab/conifer colors, and the mud browns are the least conspicuous.
I think grey unless its a dark charcoal grey have too much blue in them and stick out.
Coyote tan also too much yellow for me and sticks out. Khaki like Kuiu ash color is better IMO
I have no idea what they look like to the ungulates...

Solid color guy here, mainly because camo is expensive and I dont want to look like a retard wearing all year. Besides I am required to wear a bright orange vest to hunt anyway.

MattKyle

FNG

lTE5Ez2.jpg

MJsOP0U.jpg
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Coyote tan or similar seems to blend in decent just about anywhere. Best thing I've found for blending in to cedar trees coyote hunting is my dirty, cow manure covered, green Carhartt chore coat.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
If I'm wearing any earth tones, or greens, greys...and especially any color even remotely the same color as a critter, I'm going to be so blaze orange you can't see the colors anyway. Some jackwagon will shoot me without it.-WW

Eyeman

FNG
Lots of tan, green, and olive colors. Maybe a camo top for me.
If archery Hunting I may wear camo bottoms but not always.
Like one of the other guys said, cant beat the wrangler pants, but usual when its warmer.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I figure, between my backpack, bino holster, and my bow in front of me, my silhouette is broken up pretty darn well. I remember a friend joking about how his grey backpack was covering up all his designer camo.

I usually buy tans or browns, I have a leafy ASAT suit I can throw over anything if I really want to get into camouflage.

jedm

FNG
Ive been wearing camo for years, but have been considering adding solid colors to my line up. I'd like to hear what and how people are hunting. Deer? Elk? On the ground or a treestand? Coyotes? Etc.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I use ranger green or the olive drab color depending on the manufacturer. Works good in early and late seasons both on the East and out West.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always liked the lighter colors when going with camo or solids. I feel the darker the more silhouette shows