Solid color guys...

amp713

WKR
What solid color do you feel blends the best in the most situations. I've been picking up some solid color stuff lately and went gray, figured it blended in pretty good but a buddy said he thought my gray stood out (and that I should only wear camo).

Just curious if guys feel the gray or light tan or dark brown blend better. I know it depends on the area for sure but I'm just wanting to see what other people think in general terms.

I wear tan pants. Tommy they look like the color of grass. Tan dead grass Tan like elk color.

Wear a camo top. My theory is that breaks up my human form
Even more. Although I had a family member say my pants stuck out.

ljalberta

WKR
I wear grey/brown/green/black depending on what I find for the best price. So far the whitetail, elk, and sheep I killed while wearing grey didn't seem to think it stood out too much.

handwerk

WKR
brown or gray for me, nothing too light or dark seems to work , I do wear some camo as well...just don't let them catch you moving....

I seem to be gravitating to solid bottoms and camo tops for everything but turkey. Although I question the wisdom of that because I am wearing a bino harness that has multicam pouches and coyote shoulder straps and backpack that is also coyote so I am probably covering 2/3 of the top surface area with other gear.

As far as solid colors go, I have tan / coyote from first lite, moss from Sitka and major brown from kuiu. I don't own a lot of grey but I think it has its place. It seems to blend well in hardwood forrests with tree bark, rocks in mountains and it doesn't have a huge visual signature in certain types of foliage if you are behind something. I gets a little subjective, because with the exception of turkey I am not sure most animals can tell. I wonder if dark brown and black doesn't stand out more to ungulates than lighter tone she just due to contrast.

Overall, I like the solids, probably more for my personal preference than function and I do applaud kuiu for rolling out some more variety in their attack pants. I find the solid pants get multitasked too. My "hunting" pants are finding there way into my hiking, fishing, boating wardrobe and my weekend casual duds as well. I would love to see Sitka roll out a few more solids. I think these hunting brands are becoming street wear in the same way Northface and timberline did years ago. These companies are going to see a big market in selling "hunting" clothes to people for "nonhunting" and casual use.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
I wear solids for a lot of my bowhubting . mostly Sitka gear. Honestly I don't really try to tailor or match up colors ..sounds silly but I just wear what looks good to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

In the Treestand I wear full camo FL fusion, ASAT, or Predator head to toe. I need to break up my outline here and my head/face.

For other hunting like Muzzleloader or open country spot and stalk I often wear solids, flannel and an orange vest if required. Depending on the situation I also concern myself with breaking up my head and face.

I've always found my head and face are a sure givaway. I probably look like the boogie man if my face is uncovered.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gansettx

FNG
I'm partial to ASAT as it works well for me in every situation, but I think we have all been duped into needing designer camo to be successful.

Piles of freezers have been filled by people clad in flannel and blue jeans!

But if I were leaning towards solids I'd follow the terrain tones in which I were pursuing game.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
To side track my own post just a little, I've heard alot about companies like KUHL. non hunting clothes guys are using. I was thinking of getting first lite obsidians in a solid color but if there is a cheaper yet comparable pant out there I'd love to hear about it.

I picked up dark gray, brown, and green wool pants at a local thrift store. The hunting brands probably would fit better and last longer, but at $3/pair the thrift store pants can be abused then tossed.

gansettx

FNG
To side track my own post just a little, I've heard alot about companies like KUHL. non hunting clothes guys are using. I was thinking of getting first lite obsidians in a solid color but if there is a cheaper yet comparable pant out there I'd love to hear about it.

The comments above referencing Prana Zion Stretch answer your question. Also , Eddie Bauer First Ascent Guide Pro's are really nice and can be grabbed for a peach if you watch for sales (wore a pair of them in Slate Green on my September MT Elk Hunt)...Costco also sells a pant for ~$20 the Union Bay Tech that are built pretty much the same way. You can search reviews in this forum.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/clothing/71159-prana-zion-pant-alternative.html

I have tried KUHL and own a couple pairs of the Rydr's but they are heavy durable cotton more like an amp'd up Carhartt , the others styles didn't fit me well.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The comments above referencing Prana Zion Stretch answer your question. Also , Eddie Bauer First Ascent Guide Pro's are really nice and can be grabbed for a peach if you watch for sales (wore a pair of them in Slate Green on my September MT Elk Hunt)...Costco also sells a pant for ~$20 the Union Bay Tech that are built pretty much the same way. You can search reviews in this forum.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/clothing/71159-prana-zion-pant-alternative.html

I have tried KUHL and own a couple pairs of the Rydr's but they are heavy durable cotton more like an amp'd up Carhartt , the others styles didn't fit me well.

I live in eddie baurer guide pants (chino at work and the pro version at home when its pants weather) love them. I didn't care for the zion personally. I hunt other pants though that are a bit quitter in my mind (mainly kuiu attack but I have some Sitka ascent for hot pronghorn hunting).

Most of my solid color stuff that a bought for hunting or "might" use for hunting is a brown tone.

Play your cards right and you can get the EB guide pants for 50% or more. They are an amazing value when on sale. I have 5 or 6 pair for most of my casual wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Oh yeah wait for the sales on the eddie baurer stuff for sure. I think I paid like $46 for my pro guide pants which is a good value to me for how much I like them.