Extra Camp clothes

Rmauch20

WKR
We're going to be setting up a base camp and then bivying out from there a couple nights this year. Our main camp is going to be pretty much truck camping so weight is not a real issue. In this situation would you guys recommend caring an extra set of camp clothes to wear while cooking and bumming around camp to not stink up your hunting clothes?

Nope. I hunt the wind so don't give scent a second thought in that regard. I do have camp shoes and socks that I change into once I roll into truck camp. If camping in country I don't worry about it though.

I think I'd bring a pair but most likely wouldn't change unless my current clothing was soaked. I'm far too lazy to change clothes every night.

WKR
If base camp is a truck then by all means.

You're gross when you get back, let's be honest. Hang up the hunt gear and get into some cleanish dry comfortable gear.

There is a time to be a Spartan, truck supported camping isn't one of those times.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

aron

WKR
I bring extra clothes to change into back at base camp. Not for scent reasons but change into dry comfortable clothes and shoes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
Camp shoes and a fresh set of normal clothes to travel home in. I also have other hunting clothes that I’m trying out and comparing.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you're truck camping you can bring whatever you want.

But once I'm set up, I don't see my street clothes again until it's time to leave.

• Banned
OP
R

Rmauch20

WKR
Sounds like it's about 50-50. Think I'm just gonna bring the second set of hunting clothes that could be used if I have a catastrophic failure of some kind with my main hunting set up.
We're going to be out for 7 to 8 days in Colorado 2nd season that should be plenty.

I have an RV as a lower camp and I have extra hunting clothes and camp clothes in it. When I go up to spike camp for 3-5 days I generally bring an extra shirt, socks, and on occasion camp shoes but that is it.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
My reason for bringing "camp" clothes is so that sparks from the fire don't burn holes in my pricier hunting clothes... just a thought.

bmart2622

WKR
That doesn't mean other people dont. Lots of guys I know have fires at night and not wanting to potentially burn holes in his hunting clothes is up to him since he spent good money on them.

All depends on time of year and how far north you are. In early Sept the days are so long I'll just eat and crash. Once Nov/Dec rolls around and it's getting dark at 5ish there's a lot more time to hang around camp so yea I'll typically have some fleece and puffys to hang out in while back at camp.

Also changes my food plan. No time to cook in Sept but later in the year plenty of time to hang a pot of chili over the fire to graze on.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That doesn't mean other people dont. Lots of guys I know have fires at night and not wanting to potentially burn holes in his hunting clothes is up to him since he spent good money on them.

Absolutely. On the other hand, smoke is a decent cover scent that covers up some human scents pretty well too.

bmart2622

WKR
Yep, that is true too. I typically dont have a fire because itd usually late when I get back and dont want to stay up just to have a fire. On backpack hunts I usually only take an extra pair of underwear, socks, and long sleeve shirt and camp shoes. At night I will put on some thin liner socks with my camp shoes and my extra long sleeve top while my sweaty top dries out.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
I like to change out of my hunting clothes mostly because I feel
sweaty and gross after hiking back to camp. It’s nice to be able to put on some comfy sweats which I’ll be sleeping in anyway. Since you won’t have to worry about the weight factor, you can bring them, and if you don’t use them it’s really not a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bmart2622

WKR
Shoot man if you are talking about a base camp thats at your truck, I would absolutely take some camp clothes. High end hunting clothes are comfortable but not as comfortable as a pair of sweats after a hard day of hunting