Clothing Company? Pattern?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have em all, Kuiu, Sitka, Kryptek, Nat Gear, Kings, FL, Russell...I'm a gear junkie. Budget, versatility and performance matter so you need to tell us a few things about yourself in order to tailor an answer specificcally for you. Are you a bigger guy or do you have a leaner, athletic fit? Are you looking to build a layer system appropriate for a variety of hunts? Do you need rain gear too? What temp ranges will you be hunting? Will you be able to dry out your gear at night or must you completely avoid getting em really wet? Are you big on multiple pockets? Is there a weight limit? How much $ are you prepared to invest?

If you want more input instead of the usual "I like such-n-such brand" from guys trying to justify their own purchases...we must understand your unique wants, needs and preferences. Otherwise you get a bunch of responses from fanboys that may not apply to you. Often a mix and match is the best way to go.

I second this^^^^. You’re build may determine different brands for different pieces. Just put together a layering system that fits you.

Quality isn’t perfect for any brand. None of them are bad. Customer service is the tie breaker.

Don’t worry about the pattern. If one is found on sale buy it then put the savings towards other things.

OP
S

smlneal

FNG
I have em all, Kuiu, Sitka, Kryptek, Nat Gear, Kings, FL, Russell...I'm a gear junkie. Budget, versatility and performance matter so you need to tell us a few things about yourself in order to tailor an answer specificcally for you. Are you a bigger guy or do you have a leaner, athletic fit? Are you looking to build a layer system appropriate for a variety of hunts? Do you need rain gear too? What temp ranges will you be hunting? Will you be able to dry out your gear at night or must you completely avoid getting em really wet? Are you big on multiple pockets? Is there a weight limit? How much $ are you prepared to invest?

If you want more input instead of the usual "I like such-n-such brand" from guys trying to justify their own purchases...we must understand your unique wants, needs and preferences. Otherwise you get a bunch of responses from fanboys that may not apply to you. Often a mix and match is the best way to go.

Ok Thanks Where's Bruce! And everyone!!!

A little background on me...I am 5'11" hover around 200 lbs, stout guy with broad chest, I do CrossFit and Olympic Lifting so I have some muscles. My goal is to build a system I could do Elk hunts from Colorado to Montana. I am big on layering even with my Whitetail stuff. Yes, looking for rain gear as well. Looks like the temp in Colorado around end of September is 70 ish during the day and down to 30's at night...? Not sure about weather beyond that. I'm not overly big on pockets, I don't like to much stuff in my pockets. I usually just keep my cell phone and a knife in my pocket. I'm still new so not sure on weight limit, I'm fairly strong so I could probably handle a few extra pounds to pack in. I think the one thing I don't like is overly baggy pants. Not worried about cost, just want the best for what I do spend my money on. I like to by the best quality once vs cheap a bunch of times.

I agree with everyone, pattern really doesn't matter as long as I'm working with the wind and keeping still. BUT...I figure if i'm buying stuff anyways I would get a pattern most think works. Even if it's a slight, possible edge i'll take it.

Again thank you, thank you, thank you! Great forum, and lots of info to help!

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a PA guy who went on a DIY elk hunt in CO last year. I personally found that First Lite was the best I could find for overall quality, options, and they're a great company to support. Great for hunters and hunting. They have two of their own patterns that are as good as anything out there, and they make some great solid colored options as well. I've been very satisfied with all of my purchases

GotDraw?

WKR
FYI-

Backcountry CO elk hunting will be different than GA whitetail. You may learn to like and even want thigh pockets when you find your normal front pant pockets partially obscured by your backpack's hip belt and side pouches.

Being strong is a good start, power to weight ratio and aerobic conditioning is what you'll strive for. Your body weight and shape may change a lot as you morph your training program to target the ability to hunt effectively at altitude.

couple things to think about as you plan.

JL

Ok Thanks Where's Bruce! And everyone!!!

A little background on me...I am 5'11" hover around 200 lbs, stout guy with broad chest, I do CrossFit and Olympic Lifting so I have some muscles. My goal is to build a system I could do Elk hunts from Colorado to Montana. I am big on layering even with my Whitetail stuff. Yes, looking for rain gear as well. Looks like the temp in Colorado around end of September is 70 ish during the day and down to 30's at night...? Not sure about weather beyond that.

I'm not overly big on pockets, I don't like to much stuff in my pockets. I usually just keep my cell phone and a knife in my pocket. I'm still new so not sure on weight limit, I'm fairly strong so I could probably handle a few extra pounds to pack in. I think the one thing I don't like is overly baggy pants. Not worried about cost, just want the best for what I do spend my money on. I like to by the best quality once vs cheap a bunch of times.

I agree with everyone, pattern really doesn't matter as long as I'm working with the wind and keeping still. BUT...I figure if i'm buying stuff anyways I would get a pattern most think works. Even if it's a slight, possible edge i'll take it.

Again thank you, thank you, thank you! Great forum, and lots of info to help!

Btaylor

WKR
I opted for the Sitka Equinox pants and jacket plus a core lightweight hoodie in elevated because I liked the pattern for bowhunting here at home but knew it would work fine for elk out west or spring turkey here too. Very pleased with it so far.