Clothing Company? Pattern?

smlneal

FNG
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and am learning a lot! I am a whitetail hunter in GA, planning an Elk trip to Colorado next September. Starting to get a packing list together, gear, and clothing…etc.

My question is excluding price… Which company should I focus on for quality Kuiu, Sitka, or First Lite??? And then secondarily which camo pattern with that company is best for Elk???

Thanks in advance for any help! Just want to see what the consensus is out there...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I personally like both of KUIUs patterns but I like Vias a bit more. I also like Sitka Optifade.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I love my first lite gear. I feel like Kuiu's camo is better looking and more attractive to the human eye, however, I think that first lite fusion is more effective. This is obviously just my personal opinion though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Predator fall brown printed on Sitka material cut like Kuiu at Walmart prices .

I’m not big on what pattern is better, just prefer camo or a muted earth tone. I do believe in covering your exposed skin as it can be a give away. That only matters if the wind is right and you don’t move wrong.

wyosteve

WKR
Get what fits your body and budget. Camo pattern makes no difference. Movement and scent is what they key in on.

welpro222

WKR
I love my Kryptek dalibor pants in highlander and first lite merino wool in fusion or cipher. The ability to add knee pads to the dalibors are what won me over. I may even try some sitka timberline pants in the future.

I Mix and match all the big brands on whatever deal I can best get.

I'm a little partial the First Lite as most my gear is there's because I love their merino stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Check into Browning Hells Canyon Speed gear. I like the ATACS pattern in AU. VERY comfortable system. Get the merino layer and rain gear as well. Also, i like the PNUMA gear , Tenacity series for hot weather hunts.

mrgreen

WKR
Considering you're a Whitetail hunter, I'd suggest Sitka Elevated. Probably same quality as the other two, plus it's designed to work with a treestand harness. That should help you get more use from it.

I have owned and "tested" almost everything in Sitka and Kuiu. From that experience I have come to my own conclusion that everything is personal preference. I have no problem mixing and matching camo patterns (Vias and OC). I like Kuiu bottoms and Sitka tops. I love the hip vents on Kuiu's pants. The Sitka pants are still good pants, but I like the Kuiu one's better. Some people don't like the durability of Kuiu's pants and prefer the Sitka ones. My .02

twall13

WKR
I typically research piece by piece for my setup. I'm partial to First Lite, especially for base layers, but I also like some Sitka and Kryptek pieces. The animals don't care if my camo matches, so I go with the piece that fits my needs best regardless of the manufacturer. That said, I really like the stance First Lite and Sitka take on public lands and conservation so all other things equal I'll likely buy from one of those two when possible.

ofl0926

WKR
i own kuiu verde, first lite fusion and now badlands approach. first lite merino is amazing. feels great next to skin. kuiu pants i like. badlands i have not used yet but the quality seems really damn good.

I have em all, Kuiu, Sitka, Kryptek, Nat Gear, Kings, FL, Russell...I'm a gear junkie. Budget, versatility and performance matter so you need to tell us a few things about yourself in order to tailor an answer specificcally for you. Are you a bigger guy or do you have a leaner, athletic fit? Are you looking to build a layer system appropriate for a variety of hunts? Do you need rain gear too? What temp ranges will you be hunting? Will you be able to dry out your gear at night or must you completely avoid getting em really wet? Are you big on multiple pockets? Is there a weight limit? How much $ are you prepared to invest?

If you want more input instead of the usual "I like such-n-such brand" from guys trying to justify their own purchases...we must understand your unique wants, needs and preferences. Otherwise you get a bunch of responses from fanboys that may not apply to you. Often a mix and match is the best way to go.

I have both Sitka and Kuiu. Taking everything into consideration I'd have to give my vote to Kuiu but I love my Sitka gear too. The Kuiu is slightly less expensive and I dig the hip vents. As far as camo pattern I feel like it's about even between the two. My main hunting partner has all First Lite and he really loves it. I don't care all that much for First Lite's patterns myself but none the less, I'll probably end up with a set :)

Edit: I should mention I have a set of XKG King's desert and the pattern is excellent, but i like the Sitka and Kuiu a little more personally.

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
I have both kuiu (verde 2.0) and first lite (fusion) and it is a toss up for me. I just wear what camo pattern fits the area i hunt better. They are both great quality and both fit me well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murph1

Lil-Rokslider
I've worn Sitka OC and Kuiu vias and both whitetail and elk look seem to look right through me. Kuiu pants are really comfortable.

gansettx

FNG
Early or late September...

First Lite and Kuiu are hard to beat for multiple reasons, I particularly wear all First Lite in ASAT.

Get what fits your body and budget. Camo pattern makes no difference. Movement and scent is what they key in on.

Bulls aren't looking for you, he's looking for a 600lb cow for love. Firmly believe wyosteve has nailed it...If the wind is wrong camo pattern and label mean nada! If the wind is right you can be in jeans and a T-shirt...seen it.