FL Sawtooth or Uncompaghre

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Halstead, Woodbury and Sanctuary, I need to pick something to fill the gap as an outer layer when it’s too cold for just Halstead and not cold enough for the Woodbury. Trying to decide between the Uncompaghre and the Sawtooth. I guess the north bracnch could be a dark horse. This will be for treestand whitetail hunting.

I’m wondering if the Uncompaghre is durable enough and quiet, if the Sawtooth is wind proof enough and water resistant enough.

Thanks

ofl0926

WKR
I have their puffy and it’s a tad bit loud. I’m also looking at the sawtooth as well when I don’t need the sanctuary but it’s still cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWinVA

WKR
With what you already have I would say the Sawtooth. I have everything mentioned but the Sanctuary and even though their puffy is one of my favorite pieces, in my opinion it's too loud for treestand whitetail bow hunting (at least for the under 20 yard setups I prefer). I can't comment on the water resistance of the Sawtooth since I haven't worn it in the rain. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to use it yet this season since our low temps during bow season so far have been in the mid 60's with highs in the mid 80's....UGH!

God Bless.

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
Just carry Woodbury in on your pack, cool down then put it on.

Dear First Lite,

I would be the most comfortable whitetail and turkey hunter in Kansas if you guys would add pieces similar to these:

Sitka Fanatic Hoody
Keep: stretchy midweight fleece and the kangaroo pocket
Eliminate: built-in facemask and built-in gloves.
Add: tree harness pass-through
Upgrade: Chest pocket big enough for a rangefinder

Sitka Fanatic Vest
This one is close to perfect but Fusion is so much more versatile than Sitka's whitetail pattern.
Keep: Quiet heavy weight wool, insulation, wind resistance, high loft kangaroo pocket, rangefinder pocket, and tree harness pass-through.

With the Woodbury, Obsidians, and merino bases, all in Fusion…perfection.

gansettx

FNG
I have Minaret, llano, Chama, Labrador, North Branch, & the Woodbury. I hunt Western and North Eastern states. My Whitetail treestand setup is 2 layers then North Branch down into the mid to upper 30's, beyond that I will reach for the Woodbury.

North Branch does a nice job of fending off breezy conditions and drizzle.
Sawtooth appears to be a hooded hybrid of the discontinued Labrador, no wind or water protection.
Puffy will be a little loud for Whitetail distances.

I tried on my buddies Sawtooth last night. It is a hooded, heavy weight merino with some light synthetic insulation in the front. I would consider it a mid-layer. I don't think it has a place whitetail hunting.

I'm not a huge Kuiu fan but their Kenai and Teton puffy jackets are warm and super quite.

OP
Crotalus

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input.

I got to handle a Sawtooth today, I don’t think it’s the right choice. If the Uncompaghre is noisy then it will be out too. Guess I’ll have to try to find a North Branch to check out.

I’m not sure I’m the right build for Kuiu.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the input.

I got to handle a Sawtooth today, I don’t think it’s the right choice. If the Uncompaghre is noisy then it will be out too. Guess I’ll have to try to find a North Branch to check out.

I’m not sure I’m the right build for Kuiu.

Ya the kenai is quiet if you’re not the right build have you considered the Sitka kelvin active? Everything I’ve read about and tried in a store it’s just as quiet. The cut compared to my kenai was a little shorter in torso and arm length but a bit bigger around the shoulder and torso. Unlike the kelvin lite I didn’t find the forearms too tight.

I only had the uncompaghre for two weeks but enough to say it was quieter than a typical down jacket of any brand. Definitely more noise than the sawtooth though since you have that shell fabric through out the garment rubbing against itself.

I have the Halstead, Woodbury and Sanctuary, I need to pick something to fill the gap as an outer layer when it’s too cold for just Halstead and not cold enough for the Woodbury. Trying to decide between the Uncompaghre and the Sawtooth. I guess the north bracnch could be a dark horse. This will be for treestand whitetail hunting.

I’m wondering if the Uncompaghre is durable enough and quiet, if the Sawtooth is wind proof enough and water resistant enough.

Thanks

i would think the sawtooth would be the best choice

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to see First Lite upgrade the Halstead to include a hood and wind stop layer. I just described the Kuiu Peleton 240, but in Fusion and Cipher