Puffys.....thinking about a Kuiu Teton or trying a cheap Costco Puffy?

OP
F
Thanks so much. I think I will start watching around for the local sales. I really prefer to try something on and looking at it in person. Great tips.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
Very good comments and suggestions throughout the whole thread. . . I will only add that I use the Marmot Calene (synthetic, about $90) and the Mountain Hardware "Stretchdown" (Q.Shield Down -750 Fill, about $150). I typically only use these during very cold temperatures and when not on the move. I buy them big enough to go over all my layers when needed so I can don and doff it quickly over my main layers as needed. A puffy will not breath like my other layers so by putting it over the rest I can typically leave the zipper open or mostly open to vent excess heat and moisture. It stays readily accessible in my pack for this.

JxMdbca.jpg

OP
F
The Kuiu synthetic puffy just dropped in price even more, so I went ahead ordered one to try. Sent an email with my measurements and what I wanted to do with it, and they recommended the xl. I know it wont compress as small as down, but the price was right and I can wear it while active, and the weight looks good at 12 oz. It will be a nice addition for glassing and camp or in case of an emergency overnight stay.

With my gear obssesion it is just a matter of time before I have a full selection of puffys :)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Teton is nice since the fabric doesn't swoosh and it breaths (but doesn't cut high winds). I wear a size large shirt normally, I have the Teton in medium so its more of a slim fitting layer and also a Kenai in large. I use one or both depending on the situation. If I just need a little extra warmth the Teton gets the nod, more warmth the Kenai, 10-20F windy mornings last week glassing I wore both till the sun warmed things up.

I have other down pieces for technical and casual wear but unless it gets really cold or I need the absolute most compression I will continue to use these ones since as noted they breath and don't swoosh.

OP
F
I took a lot from the recommendations here before deciding. The Avery podcast made a good argument for synthetic, I wanted a quiet jacket, and one that I could wear when active for archery and rifle seasons. Looking at weight, the synthetic KUIU (although not as warm), was right there with most the lower cost option down jackets. I have my soft shell for wind resistance, and my rain jacket for a wind or rain shell so was happy with breath-ability for the puffy.

My jacket just arrived. No real world testing yet, but this thing is insanely light! I though there was a mistake when I first picked up the package off the porch. It is well made. The XL fits nice, the lower cuff around my waste fits well and seals up nicely. I think any larger would have been too loose and unneeded bulk when layering under my soft shell, this fits and conforms well without being too tight or restrictive. It easily fits over or under my soft shell depending on what I want to do. It is much lighter and more compressible than the 100w fleece layer I have been using, and fits under my soft shell a lot better than the fleece. I was uncertain when ordering, but it is definitely replacing the fleece.

I look forward to trying it in the cold and seeing how it performs. My deer season ends tomorrow, but I will have to take my buddy out for late season bear just to try it out in some cold weather.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Teton is nice since the fabric doesn't swoosh and it breaths (but doesn't cut high winds). I wear a size large shirt normally, I have the Teton in medium so its more of a slim fitting layer and also a Kenai in large. I use one or both depending on the situation. If I just need a little extra warmth the Teton gets the nod, more warmth the Kenai, 10-20F windy mornings last week glassing I wore both till the sun warmed things up.

I have other down pieces for technical and casual wear but unless it gets really cold or I need the absolute most compression I will continue to use these ones since as noted they breath and don't swoosh.

I’m 100% in agreement. I don’t have much time with layering the two yet. What base did you wear under them?

Beendare

WKR
There is a nice syn puffy jacket at REI now that would make a great hunting jacket for $99 that is super quiet, loden green or navy color.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
You may have already mentioned it but what was your ultimate goal with the puffy? Price, weight, packable, warmth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
F
You may have already mentioned it but what was your ultimate goal with the puffy? Price, weight, packable, warmth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
All the above, lol.

I did not need a lot of warmth, just more than my fleece/soft shell combo for stationary use. Most my temps where I hunt are 25 degrees or above, so I just need it for occasional use. I felt the synthetic would be more durable to wet conditions, and in case I tore the shell fabric; I am rough on gear.

Price was a big part but I wanted something quality as well. Weight was very important, but I am willing to take a few more ounces to save some money. Compactability was last, I have the pack room as long as it was lightweight.

I have always been an ounce counter, to the point of being "stupid light." I find as I expand more into later seasons, that the need for more clothing, tarp tent rather than tarp, and a bit larger pack for more clothing and containing my gear inside for weather.

My last trip in was 25 degrees and 30 mph winds. I took my normal gear, and while it worked fine I found gaps. When I was just an archery backpack hunter I could get away with more, for late rifle backpacking I needed more of a safety net. The puffy was part of that.