Merino

JNDEER

WKR
Never used ovis. Core4 merino shrunk bad and I don't care for the 50/50 stuff because it sweats bad and stinks (for me).

Had few years ago version of FL wool shirt and it lasted half a season with holes everywhere, I have heard there new stuff is better but I have not tried it. I started using kuiu wool and stick with that. No issues with stink or shrinkage or holes with kuiu on the pieces I own. For boxers I prefer smartwool over FL because I have two FL boxer that have worn out (likes rips and sewing coming undone in the crotch) after 2 years of use.

Costco has the Paradox merino/poly blend zip neck long sleeve tees and long johns in stock now. The bottoms have a fly this year.....an upgrade in my view versus their previous versions. Tops are black or blue, bottoms are black. Really are bargain......$20/top and $18/bottom here in BC. I can wear them up to a week without complaining about the smell. They wear very well, are super comfortable and fit me well. I much prefer them over 100% merino as they dry so much quicker when you sweat climbing the mountain, then stop to glass, etc. As I've said before they are 1/5 the cost and 5X as durable as straight merino in my experence.

efnm

WKR
I bought some Icebreaker camo shirts and they smell like a wet dog when I wear and sweat in them. It is unbelievably nasty and has never happened with my First Lite merino stuff.

Trial153

WKR
ibex, smart wool or wool power. had some first lite which was nice but didn't hold up at all. Sitka merino bases have served me well also.
I been moving more and more to synthetics but Merino wool still has its place

VernAK

WKR
I wear Smart Wool long johns and quarter zip top for 8 months of the year......got em on now!
I don't understand the briefs......if it's chilly enough to wear wool, make mine long.

I've had a couple other brands but both had bad waist bands.....haven't tried your requested brands.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO First Lite has the most comfortable merino in the industry. I've gone through sitka, kuiu and kryptek merino and while it's still good, it was always a little itchy and never performed like the FL did so I went back. Their new aero wool is top notch and worth the price I think. I have a pair of core 4 bottoms and have gotten along great with them, really no complaints, but just never tried any other products from them.

VernAK

WKR
One caution regarding wool undies.

After doing some really wet and cold fishing, I returned to our tent camp and removed wet clothes before changing.
My wet longjohns were thrown into the floorless vestibule awaiting better weather for drying. The damned mice or voles
chewed holes the size of gold balls all through my new $100 undies.

zhunter

FNG
I really like most First Lite Merino, get a llano 1/4 zip, Chama Hoodie and some allegeny bottoms. My favorite base layers.
FWIW as far as underwear, the first lite red desert Boxers have been super comfy but ever pair I have I keep sewing up because they were so damn expensive I refuse to give up on them, but they are very fragile and develop holes in the crotch without effort. I recently purchased the Black Ovis 50/50, the dobson aerowool and the Sitka Merino boxer. My initial impressions are:
Dobson boxer-Will wear better than Red Desert but less comfortable.
Black Ovis 50/50 boxer- too tight around legs keep wanting to stretch them out.
Sitka Merino boxer-even more comfortable than Red Desert but waist band is thin. If these prove to be more durable than the red desert they will be awesome.