This should keep me warm...right?

FNG
I’m about to buy my entire new system over the next month and this is what I think I want to go with. But, you guys are the experts so I’d like your $.02.

Main use - I do a lot of tree stand/blind hunting for white tails in Ohio and we take 1-2 trips to Montana/WY/Idaho every year for Elk. Temps range from single digits (rare) to mid 50s.

Top: FL Llano long sleeve > FL Chama > FL Halstead Fleece > (hard part) either FL Uncompahgre or Cirrus puffy - leaning towards Uncompahgre, thoughts?

Bottom: FL Boxers and socks > FL Merino long johns > Kuiu attack pants.

Does anybody have a system similar that they use for sitting and glassing? If so, how warm does this keep you?

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
don't know about a "system" or being an expert but IMLE the Uncompahgre is very warm and well made (go small, sizing in big)

KUIU Chinooks or Sitka Timberline pants - after being spoiled I always wear a hooded "whatever" .....

Graves14

WKR
I use a similar system in New England sitting in tree stands. I’ve found that the uncomphadre is very versatile but just for free stand sitting, I’d rather have a Woodbury. The uncomphadre isn’t very quiet.

ofl0926

WKR
Instead of the puffy, I would go with FL sanctuary or Woodbury

I use almost the same system (have more layers that i switch out).
Western hunts:
Chama, halstead, uncompahgre, 3/4 base layer bottoms, corrugate guide pants, or obsideon pants depending on the temps

Whitetail: throw in a woodbury, sawtooth or North branch depending on temps and walk in. In the past i have worn the north branch over the puffy jacket, prior to buying a woodbury and sawtooth.

I stayed plenty warm with this sytem during the rut in Kansas. If i wasn't given the sawtooth or northbranch i probably wouldnt own them and that wouldnt hurt my feelings as they are only used a couple times a year.

In my experience, both FL puffy's are too loud for an outside layer if you're bow hunting deer within 35 yards.

I wear my Uncompahgre under a Cabelas Wooltimate jacket during the late season and if it's real quiet, that's even pushing it.

OP

FNG
I wasn’t aware the FL stuff was loud. What are we talking, like rain gear loud or...?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Top: FL Llano long sleeve > FL Chama > FL Halstead Fleece > (hard part) either FL Uncompahgre or Cirrus puffy - leaning towards Uncompahgre, thoughts?

That's a lot of layers. I'd lose the Chama, it doesn't add squat for insulation IME. If I was just sitting and not moving around much, I'd just use something like Polar Weight base layers, a fleece, and maybe a heavier insulation jacket if needed. The merino excels for moving around and extended days of hunting in the same clothes.

If you are in Montana glassing, I would go with the Uncompahgre over the Cirrus for the extra warmth. Some people think it is too loud, but I've killed whitetails from 10 yards away in treestands with my uncompahgre on. It makes noise, but it's not too loud. I would also invest in some puffy pants. I got the puffy pants from Sitka last year for my rifle elk hunt in Montana. They have become one of my favorite pieces. I don't know what I would have done without them. You can also wear them when you sleep, and get more warmth from your sleeping bag.

OP

FNG
I use almost the same system (have more layers that i switch out).
Western hunts:
Chama, halstead, uncompahgre, 3/4 base layer bottoms, corrugate guide pants, or obsideon pants depending on the temps

Whitetail: throw in a woodbury, sawtooth or North branch depending on temps and walk in. In the past i have worn the north branch over the puffy jacket, prior to buying a woodbury and sawtooth.

I stayed plenty warm with this sytem during the rut in Kansas. If i wasn't given the sawtooth or northbranch i probably wouldnt own them and that wouldnt hurt my feelings as they are only used a couple times a year.

2 questions. The bottom portion keep you pretty warm with just the LJ’s and obsidians? And - I’m not too familiar with the Woodbury, can that be over my Uncompahgre? Seems like a lot.

Bottoms keep me warm during elk/deer season, i wear the corrugates in the stand as they are a little thicker. I stay pretty warm that way until it gets real windy. If the wind is cutting through clothing at low temps i switch to insulated bibs.
Woodbury is pretty thick, i wouldnt wear it over the puffy either as you might overheat. I wore the puffy under a Northbranch jacket prior to buying the woodbury jacket. The Woodbury is a whitetail specific jacket, built in pockets for grunt tube, hole in back for harness, etc. Its insulated and warm.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I wear pretty much exactly the system you described with the uncompagre plus Woodbury down to low teens sitting all day and keep warm. I double up on merino bottoms and I add in hand warmers for feet and hands. That said, I live in the Deep South and am a real sissy with cold weather.

OP

FNG
I wear pretty much exactly the system you described with the uncompagre plus Woodbury down to low teens sitting all day and keep warm. I double up on merino bottoms and I add in hand warmers for feet and hands. That said, I live in the Deep South and am a real sissy with cold weather.

Perfect. Sounds like I’m on to something here. Thanks for the input