FL sawtooth vs halstead

ofl0926

WKR
hey whats up everyone. i am at these two pieces for fill the gap for when i dont need the sanctuary jacket. i have llano, chama and puffy. the puffy is just a tad bit loud for whitetail stand hunting. which of these two would you guys think is better?
i like the fleece idea but lack of hand pockets blows. the sawtooth looks nice but is it loud? wind resistant? i like that its like a jacket.

Bl704

WKR
hey whats up everyone. i am at these two pieces for fill the gap for when i dont need the sanctuary jacket. i have llano, chama and puffy. the puffy is just a tad bit loud for whitetail stand hunting. which of these two would you guys think is better?
i like the fleece idea but lack of hand pockets blows. the sawtooth looks nice but is it loud? wind resistant? i like that its like a jacket.

I don't have experience with the sawtooth so I'll be interested in responses. Mark on the exo podcast 96 mentioned he used it this year and liked it.

The halstead does have a pocket on the left bicep. I generally have enough pockets on my pants/pack so I haven't found it to be a problem. When it's cold I wear gloves. If it's real windy and cold I may add a layer like my rain jacket. Light wind is no bother i think it's tighter knit and heavier (but not a lot more) than the chama.

I like First Lite....but the Halstead is kinda a joke in my opinion. It's just a simple thin fleece pull over. Nothing very impressive or serviceable about it. Almost identical to the mass produced military Level 2 tops. Meh

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
I don't have experience with the sawtooth so I'll be interested in responses. Mark on the exo podcast 96 mentioned he used it this year and liked it.

The halstead does have a pocket on the left bicep. I generally have enough pockets on my pants/pack so I haven't found it to be a problem. When it's cold I wear gloves. If it's real windy and cold I may add a layer like my rain jacket. Light wind is no bother i think it's tighter knit and heavier (but not a lot more) than the chama.

Do you happen to have a link for this podcast? Can’t find it on my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Since you are wearing the sanctuary I am going to assume you are talking about being stationary correct? If so, I don’t think either of these are going to serve the purpose you are looking for. Admittedly, it hasn’t been cold enough for me to use my Sawtooth yet but it is merino in the back and arms. Not loud but I don’t expect it is going to provide much wind resistance. The Halstead isn’t bad I think it more of an insulating layer than a jacket, unless it is fairly warm. Personally I would look to the North Branch and wear your layers. The Woodbury would probably work as well but i think it is pretty warm (I don’t have this piece) and you could probably just wear your Sanctuary without the layers and be at about the same warmth.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Since you are wearing the sanctuary I am going to assume you are talking about being stationary correct? If so, I don’t think either of these are going to serve the purpose you are looking for. Admittedly, it hasn’t been cold enough for me to use my Sawtooth yet but it is merino in the back and arms. Not loud but I don’t expect it is going to provide much wind resistance. The Halstead isn’t bad I think it more of an insulating layer than a jacket, unless it is fairly warm. Personally I would look to the North Branch and wear your layers. The Woodbury would probably work as well but i think it is pretty warm (I don’t have this piece) and you could probably just wear your Sanctuary without the layers and be at about the same warmth.

Yeah I am looking for that piece that I can use in place of the sanctuary. I’ll take a look at the woodberry and north branch

HeadnWest

WKR
I like First Lite....but the Halstead is kinda a joke in my opinion. It's just a simple thin fleece pull over. Nothing very impressive or serviceable about it. Almost identical to the mass produced military Level 2 tops. Meh

To each his own I guess. I found my Halstead to be very warm for the weight of it. Of course I only paid $50 for mine. For the money I spent its a piece that I was happy with and will use in the future.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
well i went ahead and ordered the sawtooth and halstead to compare them. lets see what happens. ill post my review after

I've been wearing the sawtooth most of the year and I really like it. I also like the Halstead. They are very different.

cg2737

WKR
I really like both pieces. Both of the garments are very quiet and comfortable. The Halstead is in my opinion a medium weight garment. I usually wear it over my Chama Hoody. I fiend this combo to be very warm. The Sawtooth is also medium weight in my opinion. It works super well for it's intended purpose. The back and arms breath super well while wearing a backpack. If you were to only wear the Sawtooth in a stand your back would get cold. We have had a few days below 30 degrees this fall and I have been wearing the Sawtooth while walking to the stand then putting the Sanctuary on when I start cooling back down. I would guess that you will end up keeping both pieces. Good luck

zhunter

FNG
Since you are already familiar with the Sanctuary, I think you might be pleasantly surprised with the Woodbury, it sounds like what you are after. I dont have the sanctuary but I have been very impressed with the Woodbury, very warm and silent as you can get, throw a puffy underneath and I could not imagine wanting more unless it was wet out.

the halstead makes a great second layer and consists of a grid lock fleece which is perfect for heat trapping. The sawtooth is the ultimate hybrid that contains some light insulation that will trap warmth, it will also block wind from penetrating. Its more of a jacket style vs just a layer

if you need first lite help just give us a holler

I was always wantinh the new sawtooth, but I have the puffy, the vest, the merino, the sanctuary, the soft shell. Seems I had everything I needed until I really looked at the Woodbury. I just ordered it as it is the one piece I needed to fill the gap from light puffy and layers, to the big sanctuary.
You should really look at the woodbury

I have the soft shell jacket and gloves- no need for them. In my opinion they do nothing.
At first I liked the soft shell, but then wore it on a cold AND windy day- it didn't work for me with out more layers, and it is already a bulky , stiff jacket to start with..
I now just wear it around town.
I think the woodbury will fit the bill I was hoping the soft shell would.

It might not be as quiet, but if I can stay warmer, I can stay stiller.

gansettx

FNG
Yeah I am looking for that piece that I can use in place of the sanctuary. I’ll take a look at the woodberry and north branch

I would say the Woodbury is going to be what you are looking for. I have the Minaret, llano, Chama, Labrador, North Branch, & the Woodbury. I hunt Western and North Eastern states. My Whitetail treestand setup is 2 layers then North Branch down into the mid to upper 30's, beyond that I will reach for the Woodbury.

North Branch does a nice job of fending off breezy conditions and drizzle but when it gets cold, it seems to stiffen up and transfer the cold temps.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
I would say the Woodbury is going to be what you are looking for. I have the Minaret, llano, Chama, Labrador, North Branch, & the Woodbury. I hunt Western and North Eastern states. My Whitetail treestand setup is 2 layers then North Branch down into the mid to upper 30's, beyond that I will reach for the Woodbury.

North Branch does a nice job of fending off breezy conditions and drizzle but when it gets cold, it seems to stiffen up and transfer the cold temps.

I’ve been really looking at that north branch or woodberry. I have the north branch pants on the way. They were recommended by the FL staff. Let’s see what happens. I’ll keep you guys posted.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Got both the halstead and sawtooth today. I’ll give my review this coming week.