Pants 4 Sept Elk Hunt

I currently have a couple pair Scent Lok early season. Was considering grabbing some KUIU attack, will the SL be right for it? I like the SL almost all season in upstate NY.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if the savanna crosshairs are the same as your early season? I had the savanna pants and liked them for September. Very similar temp range, fabric feel as the attacks. The attacks are just on another level with dwr, hip vents and a slimmer cut which is less likely to get snagged with how much crap you’ll walk through and over.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for kuiu attack pants. Had them for several seasons and they dry fast and cool down quickly with the side zips.

Not a huge fan of the company, but their clothes are high quality for the person on a relative budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am assuming your hunting elk out west. Kuiu Attacks are great pants but the issue I had with them is longevity. After 9 hunt days, 5 day and 4 day trip, they were already coming apart and that was running 2 different pairs. Due to the unknown and always changing weather Id go with a pair of Sitka Mountain and Timberline pants. If your backpack hunting that might change a bit. More details are needed. This elk season in Idaho I wore my Ascent pants with gaiters in the 4" of snow and was fine with a solid base layer.

Bl704

WKR
Sept 4 weather can vary out west. 2 years ago CO (at least some mtn parts) had snow on labor day a week later temps were pushing 80 degrees and sunny.

Past 2 years I've worn nylon pants generally the FL Corrugate pant. Which seemed to handle the weather I've run into well in CO. Less about the brand ideal is something that dries a bit if it gets wet, you can add a layer if needed and won't over heat you on a warm day.

If you're budget constrained, of have other great to buy, use what you've got...

OP
O
Colorado 2nd or 3rd week of September, yes will be pack hunting with two buddies of mine. Both use Kuiu attack pants and have been positive about them. That why i was leaning toward them, i have never been to Colorado before and it will be my first pack/elk hunt.

Budget is also not a concern for me.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you can find them, check out the military soft shell pants made by Patagonia- a very nice fabric weight for cool weather; some stretch but not enough to inhibit drying out; very good DWR, two very roomy, zipped cargo pockets, built in suspenders (this is a nice feature!!!) with a "quick release" feature so you can take care of business without removing the suspenders, side zippers, deep front pockets, doubled knee fabric and above all Patagonia quality throughout

they are also a friendly hunting color- alpha geen/grey

small write up here:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/clothing/55860-patagonia-military-softshell-pants.html?highlight=patagonia+pants