Gloves when its wet

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Washington state hunter here...looking for a glove for those long damp rainy days.

I have the KUIU Yukon pro and consider them to be overpriced garbage. The fit is clumsy, they are difficult to get on and off and your hands will be soaking wet after 15 minutes of light rain.

What do you wear when it's wet all day and hovering between 35-45? If it wasn't wet I wouldn't need gloves at those temps but the water just chills my fingers.

AdamRappe

FNG
Have you checked Sitka Gear? They make some great waterproof gloves using goretex. They are spendy but it has been worth it for me.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't have much of that in CO (but I know the feeling as I used to hunt WA). After a 35F rain here last year I picked up some mountain hardwear plasmic shells to try out (to pair with a thin pair of gloves if needed when colder). So far I haven't had to use them this year as its been dry/cold but I'm hiking out through a storm AM tomorrow so they may get used then... My initial testing was submerging my hands in a sink full of water for over 5min opening and closing my hands, during that period zero water seeped in so its a start I guess. Main issue with most gloves (and similarly boot wetness) is make sure water doesn't wick up your wrist because then it doesn't mater you'll have wetness in the glove.

snowplow

WKR
I'm a western Washington guy too so I know what rains all about. I picked up sealskinz for this year and they seem sweet. But I haven't gone through the season yet. But check them out they're supposed to be totally waterproof Armory no on the inside and fit really really good like those blue atlas work gloves if you know what I mean.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I've been disappointed with every gore Tex glove i've owned...let me expand that to every GT garment i've owned too.

No luck with the Kuiu gloves either. If its really wet I use a liner under a rubber glove. In kinda wet...I just use a liner.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been disappointed with every gore Tex glove i've owned...let me expand that to every GT garment i've owned too.

I have two pairs of Gates Gore-tex gloves that I bought in the 80's. I can still dunk and soak my hands in water with those and stay dry. But those are winter type gloves.

Cgeb

WKR
I guess the perfect glove is out there, I haven't found it. I goose hunt a lot, by the time you get a warm, Gortex glove they are usually bulky. I'm talking cold wet weather. My solution is carry a couple liner-type gloves (I have Sitka and WooL) then a flip over mitt you can wear over the liners. I can wear the liners by themselves and switch them out if they get wet. If I need the warmth I slip the mitts over the liners. The top of the mitt flips back so I can use my fingers.

Usually the waterproof gloves don't breath well for me and my hands sweat which eventually make them cold.

The last point to me is that mitts to me are just warmer, even if I'm cold I can warm my hands up in the mitts. I guess all the digits in there warms up better.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll just wear a $20 pair of neoprene work gloves and they seem to work great. They are hard to dry out but they are completely waterproof. Perfect for slush and cold rain days. Used to use them for forestry work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the thin neoprene gloves too. I pick them up in the fishing sections usually. They are great for early season walleye fishing too!

Wetsider here also. What ever glove you get make sure it doesn't end at the wrist. The farther up you arm it goes the better so your jacket can over lap it. Otherwise water is getting in and soaking the insulation.
I learned this the hard way on my last pack out where the rain turned to snow and ice. My finger tips are still recovering from frostnip.
Im thinking about taking a play from meat eater and just wearing those dorky ass red rubber gloves with a liner. That way it won't hurt as much when I leave one behind and have to buy a new pair.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
I just use deerskin leather work gloves. They're as water resistant as gore laminates but much more durable and I don't worry about beating them up during a bushwhack.

Stid2677

WKR
When it is really cold and wet I always use pvc fleece lined fishing gloves,, warm even if they get wet. Almost all the commercial fishing folks use em.

Like these,, cheap too...

Showa Atlas 460 Vinylove Cold Resistant Insulated Gloves - Large: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Atlas 460 Cold Resistant Vinylove Gloves

0p3dM9sh.jpg

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
Lately I've just been using the cheap rag wool fingerless gloves. Last fall my buddy fought cold hands the entire time we were backpacked in because of constant rain and wet gloves that he could never dry out while my hands were damp, but stayed warm enough the entire time.