Kryptek Aegis Extreme/Sitka Coldfront Experience?

marktole

WKR
Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Kryptek Aegis Extreme Jacket and Cadog pants? Or the Sitka Coldfront jacket/pants or Blizzard Parka?

I'm looking for something to keep me warm in 4th season in Colorado and the garments I listed above are what I have in mind to get. Will be hunting on horseback with intermittent hiking and most likely some sitting in the mornings and evenings. Will also probably be used for predator hunting in December-February in some pretty cold temps and wind.

Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

jmez

WKR
I have the Aegis Extreme coat. I rarely wear it because it is too warm. You walk at all you will sweat. It would work very well for horseback and sitting however.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any experience with the Aegis, but I own both a Blizzard parka and pants and a set of Coldfronts. The Blizzards are like wearing a sleeping bag. Even walking when it's -20 here in Saskatchewan they get pretty warm. The Coldfront is still pretty warm, but works pretty good if you're on horseback. If I had to do it again, I'd probably buy the stormfront over the Coldfront. It seems a little more versatile if you layer properly.

I have the cadog jacket and pants. I like them but I haven't really worn them much. This will be my second season with them but it hasn't really been cold enough to hunt in them. I may wear them in Pa the first week of November if its gets cold enough and I'll be able to give a more well informed opinion.
Kryptek also has the new fleece coats and pants that may be a good option as well. I've heard the aegis is a tad noisy, however that may have been corrected.

RyanC

WKR
I have worn the Kryptek Aegis Extreme in negative temps in Alaska to 20s and 30s here in the lower 48 and it works really well. They have fixed the noise problem they had with an earlier generation of the coat as it is now made with a much quieter outer shell. For riding horseback or glassing daylight and dusk situations it will definitely keep you warm. The Cadog pants are a great pant as well for colder temps. You can unzip the sides to ventilate if you're getting too warm. Very comfortable pant and perfect for colder temps.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Aegis Jacket and bibs, heavy but it's what I grab when I need to stay warm. They're quiet, very wind resistant and really comfortable. I use them for spring bear hunting, winter caribou and predator hunting. Our caribou hunt was around -25*F most days and they kept me warm. Too hot to hike very far in them, even with the pit zips open and the legs zipped down.

I hit their Black Friday sale last year 50% off if memory serves me and I don't regret spending the money AT ALL.