I need some input on Gaiters

excaliber

WKR
I've read through everything I could find here on Gaiters but still have some questions. I wear a size 12 boot and have 15.5" calves.

I was looking at the OR Croc gaiters but I see they only have black. I read here they may also be available in Multicam but did not see that option on their site.

I also see Sitka has the new Thunderhead and the Coldfront Gaiter. They do not look as well built but they appear to be cut a bit tighter and not so bulky.

Both have Gore-Tex but the OR Crocs look like a much sturdier gaiter. Sitka has zippers OR has Velcro

I ran into my first wet brush outing with my Sitka Mountain pants and was wet from the calf down. My pants never dried out all day and my base layer was a bit damp. That made for a tough day in 30 deg temps with gusts to 25 mph.

The OR Crocs get some pretty nice ratings everywhere you look.
How quiet and comfortable are they compared to Sitka? Does it take a while to get used to something on your leg like that?

Would size Large work for me?

I have some XL OR Gaiters for sale in classified ads for $55 including shipping. You can find the US made Coyote colored Gaiters on eBay occasionally. The XLs are are a little big for me so I found a size large and they are perfect for my size 11. The ORs are about the toughest, I used a pair for years ice climbing and mountaineering. It’s pricey to get the US made ones. You could try mine and re-sell if they don’t fit LOL

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/roks...ion-crocadile-gaiters-coyote-size-xl-usa.html

My hunting partner was wearing First Light’s gaiter when we hunted south central Alaska in September. His worked fine, but he definitely looked at my ORs with envy. Gaiters do add a little weight, but you get used to them. The cordura doesn’t make any more noise than walking in General. You can walk through water above your boot top and not get wet with the Gaiters properly cinched.

Last edited:

matthewmt

WKR
My local army Navy had coyote brown OR gaitors. Should be able to find them online.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a set of OR Crocs in multicam off of Amazon. I used them yesterday in some Wyoming snow and they worked out great. The material can make some noise if you rub your legs when you walk but we got to within 40 yards of a spike elk in some timber so it wasn't too bad. I'd highly recommend them.

muddydogs

WKR
I just picked up a pair of Kenetrek gaiters from Blackovis for $50 ish. They appear to be well made and the camo is quiet, they do have the velcro closure in the front but after a time or two putting them on I figured them out.

I still own 3 or 4 sets of Kenetrek gaiters, nothing wrong with them, that's all I used for years, daughter just wore a pair on Friday.

For the past 3 or 4 years, I've primarily used Kuiu gaiters, but on Friday, I wore my new gaiters from Outdoor Vision Gear and was very impressed, very well made and rugged feeling, they have some features that I really like.

GAITERS | Bino Harnesses, Rangefinder Carry Solutions, Gaiters, Accessories

OP
E

excaliber

WKR
couesbitten,
Looking at those gaiters the only waterproof part is the lower section. I'm looking for gaiters that are waterproof up to the top. I'm going to be looking at the OR Crocs and Sitka gaiters this weekend.

I have the kenetreck, OR, and a handful of others. The Kuiu gaiter is my favorite due to function, fit and waterproofness.

Beendare

WKR
The problem with some of the nylon gaiters like the OR's [I have them] is they don't stay up....AND they are noisy.

Best gaiters I've seen are the Kuiu and the Kennentrek.

Can't speak for the Sitka but, I do know that I wouldn't take 5 pairs of them for my OR Crocs. I have 18.5" calf's, (I just measured them), wear a size 12 EE, and the XL fits perfect. They aren't going to be the quietest in slapping brush. And, they are only in black. but, they will no doubt outlast the sitka's and you will not get wet. God Bless

Trial153

WKR
^^ if you can't speak for Sitka why is that your speaking for them?
how is your comparison Even remotely valid if you didn't own both set?

James, I thought I made that real clear. But, you tend to express ignorance of reality on a regular basis and, this time was no exception to that rule.

As many here stated, they have used or, are using a brand that wasn't even mentioned by the OP. Due to their experience with that brand. Having used many gaitors over the last five years, for work and play, i was simply expressing how well I like the OR croc's. I don't care how good Sitka's are. And, I plainly stated that. Because the OR's work very well, have covered a couple hundred miles through young timber, cut slash, and the riggers of hunting in the mountains, and still going strong. So, I wanted him to understand that while they are not camo'ed, not the quietest, and they certainly aren't the fanboy choice, they do work and will work for a LONG time.

You take care now.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Having owned both pairs I will give you my take on them.

OR crocs are solid, full cordura nylon the entire length and full gortex liner. I used them on and off about two years several years back. They are very durable and easy to put on with a full Velcro closure. They get high marks for durability and being easy to put on. Low marks for being noisy. Too noisy for my use as a bow hunter. Cold brush scraping against the cordura is a stalk killer in close.

Sitka Stormfront gaitors. They are heavier In weight then the crocs, the bottoms section has some kind of shell coating over the goretex that is bullet prof. The upper sections are not gortex and no where near as tough as the bottoms. I did put a small triangular tear in an upper after stepping in a sink hole in Newfoundland ...a tuck-amore root got me. Otherwise they haven’t been hurt and have kept everything out that needed to be kept out. I sprayed uppers with snoseal a couple times over three years, don’t know if it does anything but i figure it doesn’t hurt. The stormfronts have zipper in the front with a Velcro cover. The zipper is very tight if you using the correct size gaitors over your boots. I mitigated that buy adding a small para cord pull on the zipper. Once they are on they don’t budge for anything. The tops have a small sinch Cord that keeps them tight to your calf. They are way more quite then the ORs however not totally silent like a fleeced gaitor would be. I have bowhunted from northern Canada to the desert south west with them and they haven’t failed.

In summery they are both an excellent products from great companies. Neither are 5x better or worse or more durable as was stated above but they do have do have different features that may lend themselves to being more useful for your own needs.
Good luck with your purchase.

OP
E

excaliber

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm also looking at the Kuiu Yukon gaiters. The price seems right and they get really good reviews also. Customer service said an XL is right for my boot size but my Calves are 15.5" and the XL is sized for 16.5" calves. I'm wondering how much adjustment they have and if the XL would be too large?

OP
E

excaliber

WKR
Thanks for all the info guys. I bought a pair of Kenetrek gaiters in size large. The price was right and hopefully they are as good as the reviews said they were. It's funny how you start out with something in mind and end up buying something else.

KMT

WKR
I have the OR gators in black. I have bird legs, and they have never fallen down. They seem to be bullet proof. I don't know how the strap that goes under the boot hasn't broken, but it hasn't. And Even if it did, OR has a lifetime guarantee.

LaHunter

WKR
The Kenetrek gaitors (camo) have done well for me for 4 seasons. I expect you will be happy with them.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been using the OR Expedition Crocs and love them. They've been very waterproof, have been quite , and stay up all day everyday like they're supposed to.