Sitka Cloudburst vs First Lite SEAK Stormtight

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Last thing I need to round out my gear is a good rain shell. I'm looking at the Sitka Cloudburst, its a 20.8 oz Goretex Jacket priced at $350. I have these pants and they are awesome

The FirstLite SEAK is a 23 oz $425 with Cocona.

I can't find the waterproof/breathable rating in the Sitka Jacket but the FirstLite shows an impressive 38k/35k

Has anyone used both? Is there another jacket I should be considering? The FL Vapor Stormlight at 12oz is interesting also...

This is primarily for hunting the wet and sometimes windy PNW. I just need a shell, no insulation.

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from an 8 day Alaska hunt with rain every day I wore the SEAK and my hunting partner wore the Cloudburst. We were both 100% satisfied with our gear performance. They are both solid options, I would opt to choose them based off of how they fit you personally, hood, sleeves, chest and length.

I have the Sitka Cloudburst and have been running it the last couple years, i have had zero issues and love the jacket. Its Gore Tex pro i believe so you can actually look up the values based off that. My buddy has the SEAK and loves it. I have a friend that has the less expensive FL model, not sure what its called and he had a lot of leaking issues last season, so he upgraded and is fine now. I think the original FLs werent as good as the ones they are selling now.

As for getting caught up in the weight of the jackets, ask your self some questions. Are you only a bow hunter, do you hunt dense timber, do you only where it for weather then right back in the bag or do you use more then that, maybe as an extra layer for the wind? Heavy jackets usually will hold up better and the lighter ones wont. However one is nicer in the bag if your counting ounces.

OP
Odell

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Sitka Cloudburst and have been running it the last couple years, i have had zero issues and love the jacket. Its Gore Tex pro i believe so you can actually look up the values based off that. My buddy has the SEAK and loves it. I have a friend that has the less expensive FL model, not sure what its called and he had a lot of leaking issues last season, so he upgraded and is fine now. I think the original FLs werent as good as the ones they are selling now.

As for getting caught up in the weight of the jackets, ask your self some questions. Are you only a bow hunter, do you hunt dense timber, do you only where it for weather then right back in the bag or do you use more then that, maybe as an extra layer for the wind? Heavy jackets usually will hold up better and the lighter ones wont. However one is nicer in the bag if your counting ounces.

Good stuff thank you. I primarily want a rain shell for pulling out of the pack in weather on high buck rifle hunts, but we hunt elk archery and even in september we can have rain for days, hunting in timber all day in pouring rain. So even though counting ounces is tempting to me when I think about the pack, i would prefer a heavier more durable jacket. But if all things are equal, lighter is better.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I would look more at the Sitka StormFront and the First Lite Seak. I also hunt the PNW and have used all three jackets. The two I mentioned are tough enough to handle some wet nasty walks in the brush. The cloudburst is not as durable IMO

Last thing I need to round out my gear is a good rain shell. I'm looking at the Sitka Cloudburst, its a 20.8 oz Goretex Jacket priced at $350. I have these pants and they are awesome

The FirstLite SEAK is a 23 oz $425 with Cocona.

I can't find the waterproof/breathable rating in the Sitka Jacket but the FirstLite shows an impressive 38k/35k

Has anyone used both? Is there another jacket I should be considering? The FL Vapor Stormlight at 12oz is interesting also...

This is primarily for hunting the wet and sometimes windy PNW. I just need a shell, no insulation.

both will be super efficient at keeping you dry, we sale both and are running specials on both...if you need help with either or need a quote feel free to pm or email us

FlyGuy

WKR
Good stuff thank you. I primarily want a rain shell for pulling out of the pack in weather on high buck rifle hunts, but we hunt elk archery and even in september we can have rain for days, hunting in timber all day in pouring rain. So even though counting ounces is tempting to me when I think about the pack, i would prefer a heavier more durable jacket. But if all things are equal, lighter is better.
Sounds like the dewpoint might the jacket you are looking for then...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Guess, I’m confused?? If you’re hunting the PNW you will use a rain jacket a lot. The dewpoint would last about 5 minutes in the north Idaho brush I hunt in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Odell

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Guess, I’m confused?? If you’re hunting the PNW you will use a rain jacket a lot. The dewpoint would last about 5 minutes in the north Idaho brush I hunt in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I need something that will hold up although when I'm hunting just for the day either from the truck or a basecamp where I know I can dry off and change I will often just hunt wet in wool. That might change with a good jacket though. Right now I don't use mine because I get wet in it anyhow

OP
Odell

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered the SEAK at 40% off in Pine. Thanks everyone for the input

mcseal2

WKR
I got the ASAT version on the sale, thanks for the reviews everyone.