Sitka color retention

JPD350

WKR
I have a pair of Mountain pants and a 90% jacket that are both about the same age (4years). Besides using them a lot, I take pretty good care of them but they have faded a bunch and to a purple tone. As expensive as these hi-tech garments are I would think you should get more than 4 years of color retention, actually they were fading to this purple hue for the last year or so.
Anyone else have this issue?
What are your thoughts on how long you should expect color retention for Hi-tech and very expensive gear?

I showed Sitka some pics of my clothes and their response was that I shouldn't leave my gear in the bed of the truck, in a window, on the dash board of the truck or in the sun; they basically implied that fading is normal and that I shouldn't be stupid with my gear. I find it hard to spend 450 bucks every 3 or 4 years so that I am not walking around in purple camo so I am done with Sitka. I have had lots of clothes that fade and don't change color, I expect more.

I know that movement is the most important thing and that color isn't everything, I just don't like purple clothes.
This pic was a year ago they are lighter and more purple now.

Attachments

• 20170330_174203 (1).jpg
    20170330_174203 (1).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 137

amp713

WKR
My pants have taken a weird shade but not near that bad.... I plan to go solid color bottoms though so it didn't bother me ton

I have a pair of Mountain pants and a 90% jacket that are both about the same age (4years). Besides using them a lot, I take pretty good care of them but they have faded a bunch and to a purple tone. As expensive as these hi-tech garments are I would think you should get more than 4 years of color retention, actually they were fading to this purple hue for the last year or so.
Anyone else have this issue?
What are your thoughts on how long you should expect color retention for Hi-tech and very expensive gear?

I showed Sitka some pics of my clothes and their response was that I shouldn't leave my gear in the bed of the truck, in a window, on the dash board of the truck or in the sun; they basically implied that fading is normal and that I shouldn't be stupid with my gear. I find it hard to spend 450 bucks every 3 or 4 years so that I am not walking around in purple camo so I am done with Sitka. I have had lots of clothes that fade and don't change color, I expect more.

I know that movement is the most important thing and that color isn't everything, I just don't like purple clothes.
This pic was a year ago they are lighter and more purple now.

You contacted Sitka about it and that was their response? I’ve got some of their stuff that’s older then 4 years and not having had that issue.

I assume you take care when washing as I’ve seen things bleed and other stuff in the wash end up looking like that.

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
3 Sitka reps responded, the first one asked for some pics and the second one said awesome and asked me to send another pic and the 3rd one had this response;

"All garments are subject to some fading over time. It is best to keep

excess sun exposure to a minimum (truck dashboard, truck bed, hanging
outside, in window, etc.)."

I sent him back a real nice response for his words of wisdom!

Yea my hunting clothes never get washed with anything else and they hang dry in the house then go in a crate, the only time they are ever in the elements is when they are on me. I know others with old Sitka gear and theirs are faded some but not purplish.

In a ungulate's eyes it probably doesn't matter, it's just that the color bothers me and then it's the fact that this gear is really expensive and IMO they should at least retain the basic colors even after fading

excaliber

WKR
Fixed it
3 Sitka reps responded, the first one asked for some pics and the second one said awesome and asked me to send another pic and the 3rd one had this response;

"All garments are subject to some fading over time. It is best to keep

excess sun exposure to a minimum (truck dashboard, truck bed, hanging
outside, in window, etc.)."

I sent him back a real nice response for his words of wisdom!

Yea my hunting clothes never get washed with anything else and they hang dry in the house then go in a crate, the only time they are ever in the elements is when they are on me. I know others with old Sitka gear and theirs are faded some but not purplish.

In a ungulate's eyes it probably doesn't matter, it's just that the color bothers me and then it's the fact that this gear is really expensive and IMO they should at least retain the basic colors even after fading

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
I wash in a top loader, scent/dye free soap and a cold/warm gentle cycle then hang dry in the house then they go right into a storage bin.

There wasn't any conversation with Sitka except for the 3rd e-mail implying that I don't take care of my gear, have a nice day!

I would think they would stand behind their products, and offer you some compensation. It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. High priced high-tech garments like Sitka should give better results than what you received from them. I wonder if they expect you not to wash them after the season? What a load of crap to put the blame on you when their product fails. I have Sitka items also, but for the price I paid, I would be pissed (as you are) if they don't at least offer an excuse, even if it is half-assed.

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
Yep, I was very surprised at the reply I received, I was hoping that they would just say that sometimes we get some garments that fade like that but normally they should fade and retain the same color tones so heres a little discount if you would like to try it again, although even with a little discount they are still very expensive.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got quite a bit of their gear that is several years old, still looks like the day I bought it, other than nicks and scrapes on it from use. Sounds like you just got a bad set, perhaps a run from a batch with bad dies. Don't know what to tell ya. First time I've ever seen that shade from their gear.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
I've got quite a bit of their gear that is several years old, still looks like the day I bought it, other than nicks and scrapes on it from use. Sounds like you just got a bad set, perhaps a run from a batch with bad dies. Don't know what to tell ya. First time I've ever seen that shade from their gear.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I agree and that is why I emailed them pics, I have other Sitka stuff as well and it all looks great.

I do have an update, I received a phone call from a Sitka CS Rep and he said that the reply I received was inappropriate and he apologized, I accepted and we had a great discussion about dies, fading and performance of Sitka gear, we both agreed that fading with heavy use is normal but loosing the base color of grey to purple isn't so normal, this conversation is what I expected to happen in the first place. He went on to say that they would like for me to send the clothes in and they would send out replacements, I promptly told him that is not what I was after and declined his offer, replacements were not what I was after since I did put 4 years of use on them and I felt that a discount on a new set would have been more fair but he insisted saying that Sitka absolutely doesn't want unhappy customers and even said they would pay for shipping. I told him that the clothes in general were in good shape but the pants had lots of cactus abrasions/thread pops and he said "send them in". I think Sitka went above and beyond what was needed and am glad for that because I really do like their gear.

I agree and that is why I emailed them pics, I have other Sitka stuff as well and it all looks great.

I do have an update, I received a phone call from a Sitka CS Rep and he said that the reply I received was inappropriate and he apologized, I accepted and we had a great discussion about dies, fading and performance of Sitka gear, we both agreed that fading with heavy use is normal but loosing the base color of grey to purple isn't so normal, this conversation is what I expected to happen in the first place. He went on to say that they would like for me to send the clothes in and they would send out replacements, I promptly told him that is not what I was after and declined his offer, replacements were not what I was after since I did put 4 years of use on them and I felt that a discount on a new set would have been more fair but he insisted saying that Sitka absolutely doesn't want unhappy customers and even said they would pay for shipping. I told him that the clothes in general were in good shape but the pants had lots of cactus abrasions/thread pops and he said "send them in". I think Sitka went above and beyond what was needed and am glad for that because I really do like their gear.

That is much more of what I would expect to hear from them. I have had nothing but EXTREMELY good interactions with them. so I was very surprised when you posted their first response.