Sitka Water Repellant - DWR Questions

Cgeb

WKR
Looking at our long term weather forecast for deer season. Looks wet. I have some Sitka Gear (mountain pants, Kelvin Lite Hoody, etc.) I know those items are not waterproof just water repellant. So who has real world experience in the rain with it? Can I go thru some showers with it? Will I get soaked? I think most of the wind stopper stuff has a Goretex liner, it's just that the seams aren't necessarily sealed correct? Thanks in advance for your opinion.

PS have worn the stuff, I love it, just not been in wet conditions.

Kotaman

WKR
The Kelvin Lite will take a little moisture. (Light showers) The Mountain Pants will repel, but eventually "wet out". I carry the ultra lightweight Dewpoint rain gear with me for light showers. Also works great as a windproof layer. My system this year on several hunts was Timberline Pants, Kelvin Active Jacket, Kelvin Light Jacket and the Dewpoint set. This system covered every scenario thrown at it perfectly. The last hunt was an October hunt in the Yukon with snow, rain and cold temps and this system performed flawlessly.

halg

Lil-Rokslider
Imo, the Sitka factory DWR sucks. To get to a reasonable like fell of water resistance, wash it in tech wash, spray it thoroughly with Revive -X, and dry on high heat. Now your Sitka gear will repel light rain and snow fairly well. Do this for your goretex rain gear as well, otherwise the outer material will wet out, and you will be cold.

The windstopper material is the same membrane as goretex, but the seams are not manufactured to the the goretex spec, so water could seep in through the seams. I have had really good luck with the jetstream jacket keeping water out, but I wouldn't count on windstopper being waterproof.

excaliber

WKR
I wear Mountain pants and last week ran into wet sage and brush. The pants were soaked from the knees down and never dried out all day. My baselayer was a bit damp but I was never really cold. I really like the pants when the conditions are dry.

I find washing in sport wash and using Atsko permanent water guard is the best way to get water repellency on any outdoor gear I've tested so far. It's time to treat my Sitka gear as the factory DWR failed. When busting brush water will just push through the poly fabric unless there is some kind of waterproof membrane involved.

I now have gaiters.

I wear Mountain pants and last week ran into wet sage and brush. The pants were soaked from the knees down and never dried out all day. My baselayer was a bit damp but I was never really cold. I really like the pants when the conditions are dry.

I find washing in sport wash and using Atsko permanent water guard is the best way to get water repellency on any outdoor gear I've tested so far. It's time to treat my Sitka gear as the factory DWR failed. When busting brush water will just push through the poly fabric unless there is some kind of waterproof membrane involved.

I now have gaiters.

Good gaiters solve that problem. I wore my Ascent pants this year in the snow, mid sept Idaho elk hunt, with gaiters and never got wet. gaiters are a must.

In even steady mist-type percipitation you'll be soaked. Walking thru dew covered brush you'll be soaked. Most brands (not just Sitka) that boast about their DWR are full of something Matador's step in.