Looking for a jacket for my fiancé

diesel7

Banned
So I’m looking for a really good all around outdoor jacket for my girl, a Christmas present for a late season hunt. I’m looking for something water proof/resistant, and good insulation. Doesn’t have to be a hunting brand, just a good quality all around coat. I could use a little help. I’m liking the 3 in 1 style jackets. But figured I’d ask the experts. Thanks

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
About 2 years ago, Ryan bought me this jacket from mountain hardware. It is light as a feather, super packable, and I️ can wear it in ‘normal situations’ as well as pack it for wearing under my rain jacket when we are hunting. I️t’s the ‘Ghost whisper’ and it has a hood. I️ hate big bulky jackets and I️ love how this one is super light, and warm! Only 7 ounces!
bc7899827e27b63b76da5e1a3c04686d.jpg
54e8b130795b95f761ed780d50c029c3.jpg
23339da99250900ea1e31af20db5fcf0.jpg

Ghost Whisperer Jackets | Mountain Hardwear

Last edited:

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
Dont do the 3 in 1 type. Start her off right with layering.

A 2.5layer - 3 layer hardshell and a light puffy down jacket to be worn underneath is a great combo.

I second the comment above. Nothing wrong with an insulated shell either. 3-1 jackets have all been very bulky and uncomfortable to me.

Owenst7

WKR
My girlfriend and I do the $30 Costco down jackets with a $30-$50 lightweight teflon-laminate shell (mine is currently a Rustic Ridge/Sportsman's Warehouse, her's is a Marmot). This is the lightest weight system I've found that covers the most conditions. My down jacket is 10-12 ounces (I actually have two) and my shell is 14 ounces. This works well for me in rain and wind during the summer (100F daytime highs) and down to about 20F for first light glassing if I add a midweight base layer and a 200 weight fleece layer. If it's really windy or if it doesn't warm up quickly in the mornings while I'm glassing, I'll switch out the lightweight puffy for a ~ 30 ounce puffy with 700 fill that has an insulated hood.

I've got two of the lightweight puffys because I like to keep one nice for wearing around town as my normal winter jacket. It's comfortable down to around 0F if I'm wearing long sleeves under it and have the rest of my body dressed appropriately. I've got a Carhartt sherpa-lined Sierra jacket that I like a lot also, but Carhartt leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to fit and selection in their womens line.

I've never seen a 3-in-1 type jacket that compares to a well thought out insulation/waterproof shell layering combo. Between waterproofness, hood fit, weight, and price, I've never seen an all-in-one combo that even competed in one of those categories. Columbia seems to be the most common company trying to make a decent garment in that realm, so I suppose I'd recommend looking at them if you're really interested in that method. A previous girlfriend had one with the gimmicky reflective lining that she liked. She said it was warm, yet always complained that she was cold when she was wearing it. :confused:

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
D

diesel7

Banned
Thanks for the replies. Right now she has a Kuiu teton puffy, but she runs cold, so I’m thinking down will be better. I’ll look into that one Tanya. Thank you. I need to find a good hard shell then.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies. Right now she has a Kuiu teton puffy, but she runs cold, so I’m thinking down will be better. I’ll look into that one Tanya. Thank you. I need to find a good hard shell then.

My wife has the solid color version of the Teton. I knew it would be underwhelming since women in general run colder. Fortunately it layers under her north face down vest. Together under a hard shell she’s good till temperatures aren’t getting above freezing.

Akicita

WKR
About 2 years ago, Ryan bought me this jacket from mountain hardware. It is light as a feather, super packable, and I️ can wear it in ‘normal situations’ as well as pack it for wearing under my rain jacket when we are hunting. I️ can’t recall the name of it but you can probably narrow it down with the info in these pics. I️ hate big bulky jackets and I️ love how this one is super light, and warm! but cute:)
bc7899827e27b63b76da5e1a3c04686d.jpg
54e8b130795b95f761ed780d50c029c3.jpg
23339da99250900ea1e31af20db5fcf0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I believe that's the Mountain Hardwear Stretch RS. . . Fantastic Jacket in nearly any condition. I bought one for my wife and she literally lives in it day and night.

My stretch MH puffy isn’t shinny. I really like the outside material on the stretch so much quieter

Akicita

WKR
My stretch MH puffy isn’t shinny. I really like the outside material on the stretch so much quieter

Stretch RS is shiny and only has the stretch material on one side. Standard Stretch is a flat color and has full stretch panels on both sides.

Last edited:

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member

I️ would look at the Sitka Cloudburst for a hard shell/rain jacket. The Sitka women’s line is legit!

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Once when i decided to identify myself as a woman, ended giving it to my sister when i converted back !!

LOL

Wow, that’s sounds like quite a story.