How did your Obsidians hold up this year?

For those of you who wear the First Lite Obsidians, how did your pants hold up this year through your hunts? Since this was their first year, did they hold up better than the old Kanabs? My big question is how they handle the heat. I hunt in an area where it can be up to 90+ on any given day. I currently wear the Attacks from Kuiu and I love them. They have held up wonderfully for the past 4 years and work great for the hot weather. What are your thoughts?

Hmm, I guess I was fortunate, I have worn Kanabs for 2 years and so far there isn't an issue.
The higher timber area in Utah is a cloth wrecking machine, as is the lower spruce and cedar trees along with ground cactus galore.
lol
I don't have the Obsidians, cause the Kanabs are so good. I have heard (read) some guys saying the FL is weak on durability. I have almost every piece they make and have yet , in 2 years to have a snag, tear or rip, in anything other than my puffy pants, which I caught on a barbed wire fence.

I would believe the Obsidians are hot in warm weather like my Kanabs are.
There I Use my Corrigate Guides.

I was thinking about upgrading to Obsidians, so I follow this thread to hear the results from both sides of the fence.

Ten Bears

WKR
I have owned all the pants mentioned. Never had any issues with the old Kanabs. Still wear some in fact.

Picked up two pair of Obsidians in Conifer. Wearing mine as a type this. Great pants, my favorite so far. They have been through ruffed grouse and deer season in Michigan along with a week straight backpacking in the La Garitas of Colorado. No tears or weak spots to mention, they look brand new even with tons of use.

As far as 90 degrees plus temperatures I think any pants will be hot.

dotman

WKR
I have Kanab 1.0 & 2.0, haven't had an issue with durability, I would think the Obsidians are just fine durability but wise.

TheCougar

WKR
Mine held up just fine. I like them more than my Kanabs. I wore them 9 days straight, then 5 days straight, then a few other days here and there. I ripped holes in both pockets on the legs. The first was when I fell over packing out an elk rack and the g4 caught on the pocket and poked through when I fell over. The second hole was brush busting and a giant branch caught the pocket and I pushed on through and it ripped. In both cases, I don’t fault the clothes. I would have ripped anything with the antler fall and the sharp branch. Those are the only holes in them despite some really rough county.

So well I came home after a week and bought all new Sitka! $190 for a pair of pants that won't hold up after a few days of hunting is rediculous. I was told they wouldnt do anything for me. That's the 5th FL item I've had fall apart.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
So well I came home after a week and bought all new Sitka! $190 for a pair of pants that won't hold up after a few days of hunting is rediculous. I was told they wouldnt do anything for me. That's the 5th FL item I've had fall apart.

This is what I don't understand, I've been using FL for years and have had a ton of their stuff, not once have I had a failure or product fall apart. Can you post the pictures of these failures, would be good to see where it's happening. Also did FL tell you they wouldn't do anything or do you just assume? I'm not trying to discredit or say they didn't fail you but to have 5 pieces fail one guy while tons others have had no issues with the actual products makes one wonder why you keep getting the bad products and we don't, pictures would be great to see what failed or fell apart.

The same thing was said about Kryptek, I'm still trying to destroy the first generation vahillia pants that supposedly fell apart for some.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
This is what I don't understand, I've been using FL for years and have had a ton of their stuff, not once have I had a failure or product fall apart. Can you post the pictures of these failures, would be good to see where it's happening. Also did FL tell you they wouldn't do anything or do you just assume? I'm not trying to discredit or say they didn't fail you but to have 5 pieces fail one guy while tons others have had no issues with the actual products makes one wonder why you keep getting the bad products and we don't, pictures would be great to see what failed or fell apart.

The same thing was said about Kryptek, I'm still trying to destroy the first generation vahillia pants that supposedly fell apart for some.

Me too. Only failure I ever had was Gen 1 Kanabs, which they quickly replaced. I have a bunch of their stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clark33

WKR
I have had the Kanab 1.0s for 5 seasons now. The only wear I have noticed is along the bottom where the pants meet my boots, but that is caused by the way I walk, constant rubbing. I also wore a hole in the back pocket from sitting on basalt rock terrain for long periods while glassing. Nothing out of the ordinary and they still function great, just wish I could get the obsidian's in ASAT....

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I have two pairs of Obsidians; ASAT & Conifer. The Conifer pair are fine though don’t have half the time/miles on the them as the ASAT pair. The ASAT pair have only around 100 or so miles of hunting in CO bow season and NH bow & muzzleloader seasons. Nothing too extreme and no brush/thorny stuff busting or hands and knees crawling on them. I am not really hard on my clothing in general. The ASAT ones have a couple of issues: the left thigh pocket top has a bit of a seam failure, and the right side of the zipper has a seam failure (thought I kept forgetting to zipper up until I checked it out). I have not yet contacted FL yet about these or sent them photos, but will soon. I also have two pairs of three year old Kanab 1.0, ASAT & Pine, and have had no issues with them other than a small self-inflicted tear on the outer double knee on one. My two criticisms of for the Obsidians would be: bring back the double knee, and replace that dang metal leg buttons with rubber ones as they constantly ticked on my bow limb when walking until I removed them. I never seem to have that issue with the Kanab’s buttons as they are attached flat on the leg and not dangling off via webbing like the Obsidians. I like the idea/ability to roll and secure the legs for stream crossing so wouldn’t get rid of it as a feature. I do really love the Obsidians, they are my favorite hunting pants, better fit than the Kanab and I think the pocket layout is terrific and much improved over the Kanab.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider

Every pair of First Lite pants I've owned has failed as well. Honestly, I'm skeptical of the guys who haven't had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

choovhntr

WKR
So much of this topic is subjective. Minus a few jackets and a few other pieces, I own almost everything first lite offers. Here is my take if anyone cares. The wool is great quality! I have had a piece or two that was sewn bad. Hole here or there and fraying at stitching points. Granted that piece is right next to an identical one that is in perfect shape. First lit will fix it if it’s a true product malfunction. I think people forget that wool is inherently delicate. There is no way around that. I’ve poked holes in a few llanos where I said damn that happened quick. But it was still my mistake. Contrary to that I’ve seen my kanabs take some brunt where I went... wow that rip stop wool really works. The sizing is a challenge and I’ve been more than frustrated on many occasions but their service always makes it right. My suggestion if you like the products is to order early so you can exchange in time for hunting season if it doesn’t fit. Seems like all the high end camo companies are struggling with sizing. It sucks and I hope they fix it in the near future. Wool is great on so many levels but bad on so many others. Just remember what you are purchasing when you “add to cart.” Nobody ever complains about lack of breath ability or stinking clothes in first lite reviews. It’s always dependability. Yeah, it’s wool! It will rip very easily if your not careful. Hope this helps. And if anyone has sizing questions on first lite gear, feel free to PM me and I can give you my feedback on my personal experiences with it.

Last edited:

I've had 3 failures. First was the sleeve pocket on the Halstead fell off; they replaced this no problem. Second was a failure in the crotch of the merino boxers; I have heard it's a common problem so didn't bother with replacements as I'd rather not deal with it only to have them fail in another 10 uses. My last issue is with my corrugates and happened recently; I have yet to contact them. I have used the pants fairly for a year but the stitching on the crotch flap that covers the zipper has come undone. I didn't buy these from them but instead on the classifieds here so I'm not sure if they'll do anything. They are showing other signs of use like the orange brand logo has pretty much fallen off and there is an ember hole or two.

I switched back and forth between the Kanab 2.0, corrugates and the obsidian's this past fall. No issues with any of them but I wear the corrugates when I think it'll be a wet hunt, the Kanabs if the temps seem to be a bit on the cool side and the Obsidian's when it's looking to be warmer. The Obsidian's seem to dry out super fast after they are soaked in sweat from hiking and I think they are very comfortable. Taking them on a warm weather hunt starting tomorrow and I know they'll work great.

With regards to durability, I put my FL gear through the ringer... Brush pounding, wearing it for days on end without changing, wet weather, hot weather, cold weather, crawling, sliding down chutes, etc and it's been holding up just fine for me. Do I get a hole in my shirt once in awhile, yeah, of course and that's to be expected if caught on brush for hours on end. I've had the orange logo fall off on some of the base layers, but luckily I don't wear it for the logo. The red desert boxers do not hold up well to days on end of use, in my experience... the new ones in aerowool are much better. I wore the same pair for over 45 days this past summer/fall and there isn't a hint of the crotch being blown out, the RD's would have been toast IMO.

Original Kanabs and follow on versions UNTIL the 2.0's were easy to rip out the crotch. My 2.0's have held up great to many days of use.

I wear first lite so that I can be in the same clothes for more than a week and not stink near as bad. I can wear it in my sleeping bag, soaked in sweat or rain and wake up dry as can be. I also wear it because it's damn comfortable and it works for how I hunt.

Bottom line for me is that I don't expect armor quality out of merino wool, especially lightweight merino base layers/shirts. The pants are much better now than they were before but again, they are not armor... If you are looking for armor quality, check out Carhart :)

Zrodco...

I don't think the guys who posted on the FL gear not falling a part are lying???
I know I am not.

The only issue I have with my Kanabs is the wallet pocket, has some stitching mistakes that makes it hard to get wallet in. They must have sewn too far into the opening, but the durability is without issue for me. But I have no stitching failure.

They have been on 4 hunts, and a lot of scouting trips for me.
When I hear of the failures others had, I don't doubt them.
But when I also hear of the good reports from others with them, I don't doubt that either, as I am in the same boat.

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve been wearing FL pretty much exclusively for years and I probably own 20 total pieces, some as old as Kanab 1.0. Never been disappointed and I am rough on my gear! I’ve never returned anything and never had a failure. Are they as tough as synthetics? Nope. But, I sacrificed that durability for the scent benefits of wool. I wore my FL for 9 days straight, 16 hours a day, with only a bucket wash in hand soap on day 7 to combat the stink. I would have needed to launder synthetics every other day at the rate I was sweating.

dotman

WKR
I've had 3 failures. First was the sleeve pocket on the Halstead fell off; they replaced this no problem. Second was a failure in the crotch of the merino boxers; I have heard it's a common problem so didn't bother with replacements as I'd rather not deal with it only to have them fail in another 10 uses. My last issue is with my corrugates and happened recently; I have yet to contact them. I have used the pants fairly for a year but the stitching on the crotch flap that covers the zipper has come undone. I didn't buy these from them but instead on the classifieds here so I'm not sure if they'll do anything. They are showing other signs of use like the orange brand logo has pretty much fallen off and there is an ember hole or two.

Ha, I wish the pocket would have fallen off my Halstead, I hated that thing, cut mine off since I couldn't tear it off without damaging the main material. I wear FL boxers about 40% of the year and have had zero issues, my Core 4 boxers just fell out of the rotation this past winter as they had finally wore thin and blew out.

I guess maybe some of us have a different idea of failure, sleeve falling off is a failure. Poking a hole while using is not but I've poked a hole while using kuiu and kryptek pants as well. I've been in thick stuff that I swore would tear my FL pants but haven't yet, my buddy tore a hole in the pocket of his when jumping off a log and a branch caught them, again not a failure.

Ha, I wish the pocket would have fallen off my Halstead, I hated that thing, cut mine off since I couldn't tear it off without damaging the main material. I wear FL boxers about 40% of the year and have had zero issues, my Core 4 boxers just fell out of the rotation this past winter as they had finally wore thin and blew out.

I guess maybe some of us have a different idea of failure, sleeve falling off is a failure. Poking a hole while using is not but I've poked a hole while using kuiu and kryptek pants as well. I've been in thick stuff that I swore would tear my FL pants but haven't yet, my buddy tore a hole in the pocket of his when jumping off a log and a branch caught them, again not a failure.

It only half fell off so it was hanging off all stupid. This was before I really had a chance to wear it enough to realize I didn't actually want it there. I had 3 pairs of the merino and a pair of the blend; the blend just doesn't fit right and provide enough support but seems like it would hold up better. I still have 2 pairs of merino that I don't wear very often but the other pair split in the crotch after like 10-20 uses. I'm a bigger guy with really big legs, so there's a lot more friction going on down there than some folks.

I agree that incidental stuff is not a failure, but things like the stitching on the fly flap of my corrugates slowly unraveling is. It's really annoying cause they don't really fit right anymore and my fly is always showing. Now some folks do have high expectations for a pant that costs nearly $200 and I can't blame them. However they also need to know that there are trade-offs to light weight.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was extremely happy with my Obsidians this September. I used them in the WY high country and got along really well in the rocks, they seem to be much stronger than the Kanabs. When they really impressed me was in Arizona in the nasty thorn thickets. (I definitely don't recommend those pants for that because they are thin and the thorns go through them easily and destroy your legs). But the Obsidians never ripped at all going through that and I honestly thought I was going to destroy them. So very happy with the material, the new fit and the pockets!

BCSteel

FNG
I picked up a pair of obsidian pants in August, then immediately took them as my only pair of pants for 8 days of back country hiking/camping. Trial by fire. Temps up to 28C with the legs rolled up while hiking in the mountains were not a problem. Single digits in the mornings were not cold.

I was initially concerned with some thread fraying but after 50 - 60 more days on them with several 4 - 11 day trips as my only bottoms, I'm no longer concerned. It's now -20C and with a pair of long underwear underneath I'm good to go.

I'll buy another pair this winter and another pair in the spring. Then I'll keep buying them just to make sure I always have a pair until I'm at least 70.