Clothing for CO 2nd Rifle end of Oct

Luked

WKR
planning a trip to CO the end of Oct for next year for the 2nd rifle season.
have been trying to figure out clothing to make sure to be able to keep warm when temps are cold but take layers off as it warms up as I have been told the temps could be 80 one day and 0 the next.
im not doing a strictly backpack hunt. will be taking my big Cabelas outfitters tent for a base camp but plan to spike out for a night or two to be able to get back a little further to get into the elk..hopefully.

I had plans to go with Sitka gear but the cost is a little more than I can handle. I will be able to use this gear here where I live in Missouri also when the temps drop for deer seasons and also predator hunting when it gets cold also.
so im planning on going with First Lite gear.
so here is the list I have that I think I will need. please feel free to give opinions on this list
the only other thing I do not have listed is gloves

First Lite Chama 230g Merino Quarter Zip, Size L Color First Lite Fusion
First Lite Allegheny 230g Merino Bottom, Size L, Color Dry Earth, black or conifer
First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy Insulated Jacket, Size L, color First Lite Fusion
First Lite Corrugate Guide Pant, Size L, Color First Lite Fusion
First Lite Merino Beanie, Color First Lite Fusion
First Lite Halstead Tech Fleece, Size L, Color First Lite Fusion
First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy Pant, Size L, Color First Lite Fusion
Uncompahgre Insulated Vest, Size L, Color First Lite Fusion.............yea im a vest guy

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Other than rain shell layers you generally hit the tick marks that I pack (along with proper hat/gloves). Getting a wilkin zip shirt is nice if it happens to be 70F out, the chama might be warm in that case.

One thing though on the base and puffy layer for pants is I'd highly recommend zip off (less so if you are planning to wear the first lite puffy pants over top). I know kuiu does zip off, not sure if anyone else jumped on the band wagon yet. But its very handy to be able to drop my pants, remove/add a base layer and pull them back up w/o touching my boots. I don't tend to hike too long overheating when I can remove the layer quickly. Each time a buddy needs to sit down and remove boots to change his layers I'm reminded how much I don't miss dealing with that.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I second Pods8 and personally I won’t consider a non zip off base bottom unless it’s 150 or lighter when bringing puffy pants.

gelton

WKR
Just finished a second rifle hunt at 10K ft in Colorado. Temps were in the teens and I didn't need more than the aerowool bottoms, prana zions, under armor cold gear synthetic top, sitka traverse top, and a kuiu guide vest. I pulled out my puffy maybe twice...but I run warm so YMMV.

Poser

WKR
Zip off baselayer bottoms are a must. I don't know how we got this far without them and why any company makes anything other than zip off Bottoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I don't really run warm but the cold doesn't really get to me bad either when moving. at least here at home anyway.
and with not doing more than just a night or two spiked out I don't have to worry as much about bigger weight numbers with food so want to be sure to stay warm when hunting or glassing

Poser

WKR
I've been tempted to buy my partner some so I don't have to stop and wait for him. :p

I think that every hunter without zip offs who had a partner with zip offs has been incredibly envious. And, of course, we all recall the days of wearing those baselayers too long because it wasn't convenient to stop or it was too much hassle to take off your gaitors, boots and pants only to have to repeat the process to put them back on once you stop and you end up with a sweaty, fermenting ass crack as a result.