Long Hot Hikes Into Long Frigid Sits

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Other than sweating up my feet I can't say I've had much issue with this. I wear a thin shirt when hiking hard that doesn't hold much sweat and I just layer up over it when I get to the top (my layers are all synthetic, even my puffy) so a tiny bit of sweat on my back isn't much concern to me). In colder weather I'm typically using something like the attack pant which has hip vents and at snow on the ground temps I don't think I've ever sweated up those, then I use zip on/off base and puffy pants to layer up so I don't have to take boots off to add leg layers ever (taking them off to change socks if I want though). My feet getting cold in that stuff is another matter that I'm working on but the rest of me I've not had issue with.

Owenst7

WKR
How do you handle hiking into your spot in the morning? It's over an hour hike to the top of the mountain where I like to be before sunrise. I don't think I could wear anything more than a long sleeve t-shirt and light pants for the walk in or I'd either die from heat exhaustion, or be that soaked with sweat that when I reached the top the -10 wind chill would freeze me to death. After I'm there, I just sit there and glass until something happens - sometimes nothing happens and you sit there all day in the cold.

Currently I've been wearing light clothes for the hike in and then stopping before I'm almost at the top to get changed. I throw the sweated clothes in a grocery bag in my pack and change into my warm clothes after I've cooled down. This works well, but it is a very time consuming/hassle of a process - you have to take everything off including boots and gaiters, all while standing on a butt pad and trying not to fall into the snow and get your socks wet. This is less of an enjoyable process for my wife!

What works for you?

Proper layering works for me. I hike in synthetic base layers and layer up when I'm cold. A base layer + synthetic hiking pants on my legs and a base layer +fleece, down, and rain shell covers me from about 0°F to 60°F without ever touching my boot laces. I will go up to 100°F for backpacking in the summer with the same clothes if I leave the base layer off my legs. I don't think I've ever seen a 100° temperature swing in a single day, even here in the desert while climbing elevation.

Why are you putting your sweaty clothes in a non-breathable bag instead of letting them dry?

Are you wearing cotton?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How do you handle hiking into your spot in the morning? It's over an hour hike to the top of the mountain where I like to be before sunrise. I don't think I could wear anything more than a long sleeve t-shirt and light pants for the walk in or I'd either die from heat exhaustion, or be that soaked with sweat that when I reached the top the -10 wind chill would freeze me to death. After I'm there, I just sit there and glass until something happens - sometimes nothing happens and you sit there all day in the cold.

Currently I've been wearing light clothes for the hike in and then stopping before I'm almost at the top to get changed. I throw the sweated clothes in a grocery bag in my pack and change into my warm clothes after I've cooled down. This works well, but it is a very time consuming/hassle of a process - you have to take everything off including boots and gaiters, all while standing on a butt pad and trying not to fall into the snow and get your socks wet. This is less of an enjoyable process for my wife!

What works for you?

Go with synthetics and you can cook your clothes dry in about 15 minutes.

I for that exact exact scenario I wear a silk weight base layer too and bottom, light to midweight fleece long sleeve on top over that, and whatever outer pants I'm using- this year Kanab 2.0's. When you get to your glassing point immediately throw on a puff jacket and puff pants over top of everything, and if windy a rain shell over that. Don't wait till you cool off. Throwing the puff suit on immediately lets you use your body heat and clothing to create a micro climate and dry yourself out.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a few more tips.

-Feet: I have a piece of carpet that when folded in half covers the base of my tree stand. Now with the shag on top and bottom it adds a quiet R-value that really helps keep the feet warmer. A foam butt pad works well but can be squeaky when boots are wet.

-Feet: Another idea I was given but haven't tried is to take over-boots with you but instead take your boots off, put on another wool sock and throw some hand-warmer packets in the over boots, insert feet and enjoy. This seems a better idea for ground blinds as I'd probably knock my regular boots off my stand and have to climb down in the booties. :(

-torso: last week ago my buddy was showing me his Milwaukee tool heated vest. Said it worked awesome for all-day sits during bow season (we got cold weather in early Nov.) Comes with rechargeable batteries and charger which interchange with other Milwaukee tools. I tried to find one in a store before WI gun opener last weekend but couldn't so no first-hand experience yet. When your core is warm it helps everything stay warm as you're pushing warm blood into your extremities.

Good luck.

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good info and ideas. Dressing light for the walk is key. My feet sweating is my biggest problem on the walk in. My feet are the first thing to get cold. I have been think about trying a pair of heated insoles.