Long Hot Hikes Into Long Frigid Sits

treillw

WKR
How do you handle hiking into your spot in the morning? It's over an hour hike to the top of the mountain where I like to be before sunrise. I don't think I could wear anything more than a long sleeve t-shirt and light pants for the walk in or I'd either die from heat exhaustion, or be that soaked with sweat that when I reached the top the -10 wind chill would freeze me to death. After I'm there, I just sit there and glass until something happens - sometimes nothing happens and you sit there all day in the cold.

Currently I've been wearing light clothes for the hike in and then stopping before I'm almost at the top to get changed. I throw the sweated clothes in a grocery bag in my pack and change into my warm clothes after I've cooled down. This works well, but it is a very time consuming/hassle of a process - you have to take everything off including boots and gaiters, all while standing on a butt pad and trying not to fall into the snow and get your socks wet. This is less of an enjoyable process for my wife!

What works for you?

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
Insulated pants/coveralls with full zip legs
Those full body suits look awful comfy too!

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm in TX chasing whitetails, but I hike deep into some public land to get away from pressure and I do the same thing as you are. I'm completely soaked by the time I get back to where I'm hunting and it would make for a miserable sit. So, I Hike in with just EB guide Pro Pants and a generic dryfit shirt. Completely change clothes, put the dirty/wet ones in a plastic bag, and have a comfortable sit.

The only other option I could think of for you is to hike in the day before and set up camp for the night...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

First, cut back what you wear when hiking. Sweat is your enemy. I wear a merino shirt only, maybe a Sitka core lightweight hoody over it. Once glassing I zip on some kelvin pants and sometimes a wind proof jacket. In extreme cases I have worn two Kelvin jackets and it works.

Last edited:

adamm88

WKR
I wear the lightest layers possible, usually just a marino base top and bottom and thin pants, depending on how cold it gets i put on a mid fleece layer, Some kind of shell coat and puffy for the top and a heavier layer pant for the bottom, i used Ecw level 7 pants this year, worked great.

FlyGuy

WKR
Another option that I've recently thought about but haven't yet tried is to hike in wearing some running tights. I have a couple pair for wintertime runs and they are great at keeping you just warm enough while moving. They also wick moisture and dry extremely fast, so I think that I could just pull on my timberline pants over these and be good to go. That might be something your wife may prefer over your current system.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I go with a thin layer on top. often a tshirt, bring extra socks and try not to sweat too bad....I have been thinking about the running tights idea on the ascent as well flyguy as I wear an under armour legging and this would help to negate all the heat on the lower half. I will say pants with heat zips do help.

I treestand hunt whitetails in the midwest in a similar way. Hike in maybe two miles or so, through swamps, etc only to face all day sits in temps as low as -20. Obviously going to die of heat exhaustion in anything warm enough to enable me to sit for extended periods in that type of weather and be dripping wet when i get to my spot.

I initially dress extremely light where im chilled getting started. For example, might start even in frigid weather with something like Krypek Valhalla pants with a light merino base under them and a light merino top like a FL Llano under a midweight fleece. If its windy might add a light soft shell jacket instead of the fleece, just depends. But for me the key is being chilled enough that I need to start moving to be comfortable. I also find merino next to skin to be a must.

Then once im at my stand ill just take a breather and cool down if ive gotten warm but if ive dressed light enough ill be dry at least, not all sweated up. Then i just layer up with my heavy stuff. Like ive found the Kryptek Aegis Jacket and Bibs actually pack down pretty well for when it is below zero. I also bring my Kuiu Kenai to go under the Aegis if its really going to be brutal. For warmer but still cold temps ill just bring my Kryptek Kratos jacket and pants as they are light, fairly quiet as an outer, and i can just zip them on right over what i walked in wearing.

Ill add i go up one size on my heavy outer jacket like the Aegis and two sizes with my outer layer pants like my Aegis bibs or Kratos pants so that I dont have to strip down like you do. Just pull them out of my pack and they go over the top of everything. Id hate to be stripping down like that in cold temps!

Last edited:

excaliber

WKR
Treillw,
I do it the same way. I wear a light shirt I wear when I mountain Bike and a really light top and change when I get to the top of where I'm going. It only takes a minute to pull off the light stuff, dry off a bit and put on the baselayer and top.

Stripping down only takes a minute and it's well worth it to get out of sweaty clothes. I never hike in baselayer tops I plan on wearing all day long. I wear baselayer bottoms but I use the really light silk weight stuff and it never gets too hot on any hike I do.

mcseal2

WKR
I can't say I've done it in negative 10 wind chills, but I have used this system on days that start and end in the single digits.

I walk in with a light base layer bottom if it's cold enough, something like the Sitka Core. More recently I've started using the Kryptek merino base layer, an older version I don't know that they make anymore. It's a mid-weight I'd say. On the top it's either a First Light Llano or now I'm loving the new Aerowool. I might throw a Sitka Jetstream light vest on over that if it's super cold. That's it for the hike in. I don't add any layers either until any sweat I've worked up is dried out. I'll stop and dry before making the last push into my glassing spot if there isn't a spot with decent cover to put my layers on once I'm in there. If there is I'll add layers as I dry while in the glassing spot.

Layers I add start with the Kuiu Kenai zip off pants. I love those things, no removing boots or gaiters to add warmth. I have intentions to try their zip off base layers in the future to see if I can get away with not having the base layer on my legs while walking in. I add a puffy jacket then usually under my Kryptek Dalibor II jacket I also have along. If it's not to cold it's the Kuiu Kenai. If it's real cold it's a waterfowl Sitka puffy that weighs a pound more and is super warm. Then if it's extra extra cold I have a HPG mountain serape to throw over me as a poncho or just use on my legs. I have a fleece ski mask to keep the cold air off my face that works well under the Dalibor II hood. I have either Sitka liner gloves and Aleyeskan rag wool gloves, or Kuiu glassing mitts for my hands. I will also pack dry socks to change into, and sometimes Thermarest heated insoles for my hunting boots. I hate hiking in real warm boots and find my feet just sweat and get colder if I have them laced up. I'll sometimes whitetail hunt in 1200 gram Thinsulate cheap Cabelas boots but in the mountains it's 200 gram Meindl or un-insulated Kennetreks most times. Some day I'll get a really good set of pac boots and have 2 sets of wool liners so I can swap them out maybe.

With the Aerowool or regular merino wool I can get by with not changing out of the sweated up base layers and having to pack more. That stuff is amazing at scent control and the Aerowool dries extremely fast, about like a thin synthetic.

Anyway that's my system for most stuff including our December rifle deer season and predator hunting in January and February.

mcseal2

WKR
Rain gear can be a great wind stopper if you pack it too. I don't always unless conditions call for it. I've had Cabelas Space Rain stuff for when I didn't expect to need it, and Helly Hansen Impertech stuff for when it was wet. The Impertech isn't breathable but is great at keeping wind out when glassing. I recently caught sales on a First Lite SEAK jacket and Kuiu Yukon pants I plan to use in the future as an outer layer when it's damp and cold. I have wanted good rain gear for a while but never could afford them at full price. I might add a lighter quality rain layer someday, I'm sure the Space Rain Cabelas stuff I have won't survive forever. They guy I hunt with has some Russel APX rain gear he picked up when they shut that line down he uses as a wind barrier when glassing that has served him well. He used it a lot in Wyoming this year when we had 15" of snow on the ground and stayed dry and warm glassing. I used the Impertech bibs quite a bit but not being breathable they aren't great to hike in so I took them off and on a lot.

sr80

WKR
I wear synthetic base layer, mid layer. Once at the top throw on a warm insulated jacket, my go to is the Lost park parka, and kelvin pants. I keep my base layers on and with the synthetic puffy and pants ill be dried out in no time and still warm. Do a google search of the sitka rewarming drill.

woobie or a mountain serape would do the trick. roll it up where it's easy to access. hike up, plop down and throw it over yourself. you'll dry out your light base layers easily by using yourself as a heat pump.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
hiking up a steep mountain in the cold before sunrise, only to plop down to sit and glass is definitely a challenge. A good sit pad is a must, you can lose a ton of heat via convection. The tips to slow down and dress light going in are spot on- some sweating though is going to be inevitable. You want light layers that dry quickly for that reason. I find that bundling up immediately helps keep some of that warmth you built going uphill in. I’ve never had too much problem with my upper body- a mid-layer and puffy will take care of that usually. The addition of a balaclava and hood(s) takes care of the head. Light gloves and Apex mittens takes care of the hands. Feet and legs have been a little trickier. What I’ve done this year is use a light Apex quilt that I’m carrying as part of an emergency sleep system and wrapping it around my lower body and feet- this has worked really well and I’m carrying it anyways.

I still think there is a market for a lightweight (probably Apex) over boot- something that can be slipped on/off easily

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think wiggys makes an over boot

I saw those, would probably work- I'm thinking lighter yet and cheaper too- basically an Apex bootie oversized for sticking a boot in and in a little hardier denier than your typical bootie- don't really need a sole or the like, only used when stopped glassing

I revamped my stand sitting gear this year.

My hikes in tend to be short for stands but I hike in further for setting up ambush points hunting whitetail back east with a bow so I need something I can both sit and shoot from.

Feet - I got a pair of the Arctic Sheild over boots. They are pretty good. Definitely helped one windy morning. Size up as much as you can as they are snug on some bulkier boots. Those small hot hands that go in your boots are pretty good.

Hands -hand muff by fhf with 1 or 2hand warmers. No or thin gloves for bow hunting. I find this has the added benefit of cutting hand movements in the stand when it is cold.

Legs - I have worn a pair of Sitka puffy pants both under and over my pants. Over is to noisy for stand sitting for bow range. Unde ris fine but tough to put on and take off unless you have full zip.

Now, if I were glassing and not stand or ambush sitting I would give a hard think to that woobie suggestion. I will presume your critters are far enough away that you are not concerned about detection at close range so For -10 temps I would go one step farther and say think about bringing a sleeping bag. Like a wiggys or something that zips from top or bottom so you can move around a bit in it. Heck, why not bring you sleeping pad too. I assume you have to undress to move in on the animals once you glass them. A decent pad and bag is going to weigh the same or less than a set of bulky clothes. You can also packa big and pad a lot faster than changing clothes if you have to move. I have hunted this way once or twice and used this a lot in .mil for cold recons. The only downside is you can get so comfy that the nap monster can get you.